Vidya PotD: Of the ones you've played, what's your least favorite Zelda game?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, September 18, 2011, 12:45:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

smithicide;

The Legend of Zelda
1 (7.7%)
Zelda II: Adventure of Link
7 (53.8%)
A Link to the Past
0 (0%)
Link's Awakening
0 (0%)
Ocarina of Time
0 (0%)
Majora's Mask
0 (0%)
Oracle of Ages
0 (0%)
Oracle of Seasons
0 (0%)
Four Swords
0 (0%)
Wind Waker
0 (0%)
Four Swords Adventures
0 (0%)
Minish Cap
0 (0%)
Twilight Princess
0 (0%)
Phantom Hourglass
4 (30.8%)
Spirit Tracks
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Go Down

FAMY2

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on September 18, 2011, 03:36:28 PM
The original is my favorite 2d zelda :'(

how

i mean really how

there is absolutely nothing in the game that alttp didn't infinitely improve on lol

Kalahari Inkantation

zelda "fans" would probably hate me for this but i honestly don't see the appeal in the original zelda

I don't know why 1980s gamers enjoyed it so much, but I'm glad they did. girl;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrika on September 19, 2011, 09:07:08 AM
zelda "fans" would probably hate me for this but i honestly don't see the appeal in the original zelda

I don't know why 1980s gamers enjoyed it so much, but I'm glad they did. girl;

you have to understand that it was one of a kind back then. being able to explore a world so big that you had to have a brand new save system was something people had never seen before in gaming. sure, there were dungeon crawlers, and the BASICS of Zelda had already existed, but not on such a grand scale, and not as well executed.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Hakase on September 19, 2011, 09:08:37 AM
you have to understand that it was one of a kind back then.

yeah that's entirely true

but later zeldas have vastly improved on the original's formula imo, and it hasn't really aged well in comparison girl;

Hiro

Quote from: Hakase on September 19, 2011, 09:05:38 AM
how

i mean really how

there is absolutely nothing in the game that alttp didn't infinitely improve on lol
Because the game just puts you into the world with very little guidance on where do go or what to do next. It feels like you're actually exploring all of these cool new places yourself instead of gaining access to them one piece at a time.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on September 19, 2011, 01:05:58 PM
Because the game just puts you into the world with very little guidance on where do go or what to do next. It feels like you're actually exploring all of these cool new places yourself instead of gaining access to them one piece at a time.

well, you can actually explore almost the entirety of alttp's light world from the get-go as well, with the exceptions of death mountain and anywhere that requires swimming.

Hiro

Quote from: Hakase on September 19, 2011, 02:16:39 PM
well, you can actually explore almost the entirety of alttp's light world from the get-go as well, with the exceptions of death mountain and anywhere that requires swimming.
it's really not the same thing though. plus there's a world map. the original just feels like it's just you and this world to learn on your own. you're never told to really go anywhere or do anything specific, and the little dialogue there is is vague hints. the whole thing just feels more secretive to me. of course alttp is great, but it doesn't have the same feel that the original did.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hiro on September 19, 2011, 02:31:47 PM
it's really not the same thing though. plus there's a world map. the original just feels like it's just you and this world to learn on your own. you're never told to really go anywhere or do anything specific, and the little dialogue there is is vague hints. the whole thing just feels more secretive to me. of course alttp is great, but it doesn't have the same feel that the original did.

weeeeell it's secretive the first time you play it yeah n_u

i totally get what you're saying and that's one of the major reasons i love metroid so much - exploration without explanation. so i'll at least give you that. that is definitely cool. i still think it's overshadowed in every other way though.

Kalahari Inkantation

[spoiler]lol i used a guide for the original game awdood;[/spoiler]

I think one of the reasons I don't find it particularly great is because I actually prefer to have a bit of guidance. goowan

[spoiler]i'm a casual, aren't i saddood;[/spoiler]

bluaki

I used a map guide when playing the original Zelda too goowan

Quote from: Tectrika on September 19, 2011, 02:45:57 PM
I think one of the reasons I don't find it particularly great is because I actually prefer to have a bit of guidance. goowan
I feel the same way :(

When I'm just starting the game and have only 3 hearts and no items, it's nice to have an idea of where I'm supposed to go rather than wander around aimlessly in a large world, likely end up near enemies that can kill me easily, and having what seems to be the closest thing to directions being NPCs' cryptic messages about sidequests that I probably can't even do yet.

Also, how am I supposed to know without a guide that, in one particular wall of trees that's 3 map sections wide, one specific seemingly-random tree is supposed to be burned :'(

Go Up