September 17, 2024, 01:48:20 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The night I saw Black Moth Super Rainbow

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, September 16, 2011, 10:56:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

So tonight, I went to the gray eagle and I saw Black Moth Super Rainbow, along with Marshmallow Ghosts and umm...this one guy named...Joshd? He's apparently been touring for like ten years, and I never really caught his name.

Anyway, first off.

I arrive at the show on time (why in god's name do I do this.) I'm standing around, being awkward as fuck, and the bands don't even start til about 9 anyway.

I see this girl walk in front of me, and sit in a chair a couple feet from me. after thirty minutes (goowan), I work up the nerve to talk to her.

We talk, and it's apparent that we have absolutely nothing in common. She works in Oakridge, Tenn. Which apparently is where all the nuclear bombs were made. Also, she tells me that she listens to electronic music, because it's the new voice of our generation. I can see that, but a lot of what I find with electronic stuff is that it really has nothing to say, or rather tries to communicate a general idea, as opposed to the punk or no wave generations which were all about forcing you to hear what needed to be said. Am I talking out of my ass right now? Somewhat. But I don't think that electronic, nor any other music genre, is the voice of our generation.

As we're talking, The Marshmallow Ghosts take the stage. Here is a video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZg40IxMk4[/youtube]

They are members of appleseed cast, and bmsr, as well as some other band. The music was pretty cool. The band played a short film behind them via projector. The music they played worked very well as a soundtrack to the film. In the film, there is a guy getting beat up in his car by a masked midget, then it cuts to a green field, then a farm where an old man is holding a baby pig (piglet?). There is also a guy who appears to be balancing pipes off one another. Somehow, the old man gets angry and turns into an evil pig man. Evil old pig man knocks down the balancing pipes and starts freaking out on the poor guy what got his pipes knocked down. It then cuts to a house, and a couple pull up in a black car, and they talk. The bands ends their set.

I really liked this first opener, and was disapointed they only did like four songs

Next is Joshd?. I never caught his name. He's pretty bad. He has a mirror set up behind him, drums and keyboards surround him. The whole set is one big clusterfuck. One of his...fuck...not cymbals. Anyway, the one drum doohickey that makes a crash sound is right underneath the giant mirror. Every so often he hits this piece of drummery, and it sends his mirror into a crazy fit, so he has to stop playing and fix the mirror. But it's ok, 90% of his act is a continuous loop.

JoshD is in a chill song, and this guy turns to me and asks me why I'm not digging the show. "What? Is he not genuine enough for you?" I reply it's not that, but I just have a hard time enjoying bands that don't really interact or establish a connection with the crowd. I told him that I was distracted by his fiddling with the mirror, and that I was halfway certain this guy was just winging his entire set. He explained to me that this guy apparently has a sax player and a bass player with him, but they left to join other bands. I told him I would probably like Joshd better with the sax and bass.

He ends his set with an instrumental version of Everything In It's Right Place by Radiohead. Thankfully, he is off the stage now.

I see Tenn. girl again briefly, and we both mention how we did not like that last guy.

Next is Black Moth Super Rainbow. I have heard only one song, and don't really have a clear idea of what to expect from this show. My ex saw them some years ago, and said that the main guy is so reclusive that he hired a guy dressed in a bear suit to dance around while he played, so no one would watch him. So, I was expecting an eccentric show. I asked if BMSR were dancy, and I got a bunch of different responses. "Nah they're really raw" from the drugged out guy talking to me about JoshD. "Kind of but not really" from Tenn acquaintance, and "Totally" from my ex. So I didn't really know what to expect

OH GOD THERE WAS SO MUCH DANCING I LOVED IT.

I couldn't tell you what song was my favorite, but they had a stellar set. I would go see them any day of the week. Unfortunately, there was no dancing bear. There was this one guy in the crowd who kept throwing glowsticks around. I almost got his in the eye with one.

I ended up dancing with this girl named Christina, and I was going to get her number when the show ended. Yet when I turned to ask her she had already made it to the door with her friends. Such is life.

So yeah, go see black moth super rainbow goowan

silvertone

Hiro

Fuck yeah, those guys are great. Wouldn't have pinned them for a dancey show really, good to hear. wrench;

silvertone

also since most electronic music is devoid of concrete communication and sorta abstract vocals (if any at all) i guess electronic can be the voice of our generation since our generation hasn't really said anything??¿?¿?¿¿?  am i being over cynical..

Quote from: silvertone on September 17, 2011, 09:06:07 AM
also since most electronic music is devoid of concrete communication and sorta abstract vocals (if any at all) i guess electronic can be the voice of our generation since our generation hasn't really said anything??¿?¿?¿¿?  am i being over cynical..
does this make our generation one that is mute?

or is it that we are more enthralled with an idea moreso than the means to make said idea a reality? OR is it more that we're just not even interested in making our idea become a reality, and prefer to just discuss it freely with no intention of even trying to make ideas come to fruition. Kind of like that friend you had in highschool that you told you would hang out with, and you guys always talked about but you never hung out.

or maybe the way we achieve our ideas is through the music itself. and it affects us to the extent that we subconsciously make things happen without even realizing it.

silvertone

Quote from: N o t S i d on September 17, 2011, 12:42:24 PM
does this make our generation one that is mute?

OR is it more that we're just not even interested in making our idea become a reality, and prefer to just discuss it freely with no intention of even trying to make ideas come to fruition. Kind of like that friend you had in highschool that you told you would hang out with, and you guys always talked about but you never hung out.

This one yes.
Except there is actual valid want to do something, but lack of concentrated effort put into seeing plans through because of passive and apathetic attitude. Never doing anything except the same ole schedule day in and day out could cause thoughts only about social alienation, loneliness, dehumanization etc (very common themes in arts since Modernization.) Also the fear of being ridiculed by irony, sarcasm and other post-modernist 'weapons' and with the increase of people with social anxiety lack of social effort  which in turn would cause the repression of expression.

And the music is an unconscious product of that thought, which can be heard by how electronic music sampled based songs. The instantaneous, lack of effort in sampling in comparison of hiring someone to play the written piece or learning the instrument yourself. The music is very often repetitive and devoid of a melodic lead, more like collage of textured sounds than crafted songwriting. No 'voice' or standing point, just like everything is background unless the melody itself is a sample. The lyrics in most electronic songs, if they even have lyrics, are a abstract psychedelic surreal, songs about dancing or just a phrase to get stuck in your head. Industrial music would be the main antonym of this analysis, but industrial isn't really that popular anymore, not that it ever was.  Also it pretty much capitalizes on the amount of nostalgia people currently have.

Also I noticed how distracted by various media when writing this, could electronic music be a collage of pop culture media?!? and that is all we care about?!? is that what she means!?!

but at same time bmsr doesn't really fit into this and makes this whole post wrong.

idk  just guessin folks. also lost un-ironically lost effort into perfecting this post so sorry if it doesn't make sense

Quote from: silvertone on September 17, 2011, 01:21:23 PM
Also I noticed how distracted by various media when writing this, could electronic music be a collage of pop culture media?!? and that is all we care about?!? is that what she means!?!
that's probably what she means yeah

on an unrelated note to this conversation, but kind of related to bmsr. I'm a huge fan of just about everyone that is signed to graveface records.

yup

Daddy

The first concert I ever went to was BMSR with PQQU giggle;

piano moths

damn!!! I bet that was fantastic. The 40 second preview of their new album sounds great... I bet BMSR is amazing. I WISH! I had a chance to see them two years ago but didn't go because it was the day before Animal Collective and I didn't go cuz of moneyyy ahhhh. I wish. I bet that was great though.
kill them w kindness

September 20, 2011, 01:26:10 AM #10 Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:26:27 AM by N o t S i d
Quote from: eeeeeee on September 19, 2011, 10:00:30 AM
damn!!! I bet that was fantastic. The 40 second preview of their new album sounds great... I bet BMSR is amazing. I WISH! I had a chance to see them two years ago but didn't go because it was the day before Animal Collective and I didn't go cuz of moneyyy ahhhh. I wish. I bet that was great though.
Hey You, and everyone else for that matter

Here is a download link for BMSR's concert that I attended!

Here ya go, guys and dolls http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CIFUOERD

it was posted on Graveface records message board, so it's legit as shit.

piano moths

kill them w kindness

Go Up