September 17, 2024, 01:47:33 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Albums you had to FORCE yourself through

Started by Thyme, September 11, 2011, 08:01:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

YPrrrr

Aeroplane Over The Sea - hate it still
King of the Beach
The Kingdom

Probably a lot more, but those come to mind

silvertone

Quote from: YPR on September 12, 2011, 01:59:47 AM
Aeroplane Over The Sea - hate it still

duuude brooo... just listen to pet sounds. Pet Sounds.. Pet Sounds.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: silvertone on September 12, 2011, 03:18:24 PM
blargh Pet Sounds.

Pet Sounds is probably my answer, even though I'm getting more into it with time.

Also, Join Us by They Might Be Giants. Most of the songs just seem like rehashes of things they did in the eighties. Can't Keep Johnny Down is a good one, but the rest of the album is forgettable, and it's way too long.

Kollapse Traditionalex (or whatever) by Thee Silver Mt. Zion. My ex was really into Godspeed, and she kept talking about how TSMZ and Godspeed were great and had the same members and whatever. I remembered she had the poster for this album on her wall, and I picked up the deluxe edition at Harvest Record's annual sale. Not really impressed with this stuff at all. I think I just have a bias toward music you can dance to.

YPrrrr

Quote from: silvertone on September 12, 2011, 03:18:24 PM
Beach Boys are ok by me wrench;

AAAAAAAA

Yeah, I don't really get Pet Sounds either. Maybe I just have a shitty version of it or something, but the production feels so flat and lifeless.

Samus Aran

Pet Sounds is what I'd consider a minor masterpiece. I mean, it's The Beach Boys, so obviously their best album is gonna be "timeless" by default, but as far as the music itself goes, some of that album just doesn't really do anything special for me. But what DOES do something for me does a lot. So I still think it is a very, very good album.

I am especially fond of "Caroline, No," "Waiting for the Day," and "God Only Knows."

Wrench

The Living End - The Ending is Just the Beginning Repeating

Extremely disappointed. Just terrible.

silvertone

I had to listen to Pet Sounds ~30~ something times until I was convinced Brian Wilson was a genius, I don't think I can call any other rock musician a genius.

Also I like SMiLE better idk

slend666

oddly enough i had to force myself through the first track or two on miles davis' kind of blue
after that i really liked it though

YPrrrr

Patrick Stickles

i agree with wilco, i only started listening to them more after kicking television
What the fuck was it for anyway?

Hiro

Quote from: YPR on September 18, 2011, 01:03:07 PM
Oh, every Radiohead album

Awful 5thgrade;
Really? Even if you don't like Radiohead I don't see how The Bends or Pablo Honey could be painful to get through.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Hiro on September 18, 2011, 03:40:55 PM
Really? Even if you don't like Radiohead I don't see how The Bends or Pablo Honey could be painful to get through.
To be honest I've only listened to the ones that have been hyped to hell like OK Computer, In Rainbows, etc.

Actually... listening to a couple of these songs Pablo Honey is actually pretty good as much as I hate to admit it myface;

Hiro

Quote from: YPR on September 18, 2011, 03:55:41 PM
To be honest I've only listened to the ones that have been hyped to hell like OK Computer, In Rainbows, etc.

Actually... listening to a couple of these songs Pablo Honey is actually pretty good as much as I hate to admit it myface;
Really, if you start with Pablo Honey, then the Bends, and the maybe try OK Computer again from there, it follows a pretty logical conclusion and you might be able to appreciate their later things a little more. If not, then I still think you'd like those first two.

Andria

I had to force myself through the two Radiohead albums Hiro is talking about

it is just one of those bands I can't like if I try

Go Up