October 26, 2024, 04:31:14 AM

1,531,341 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

how do i buy internet

Started by C.Mongler, September 06, 2011, 07:25:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

my apartment gets free internet as part of my lease. it fucking blows, i'm getting less than 1mps down speed (usually like .8) and I can't fucking do anything. I want to buy new internet but I dont know if i can. all i need is a modem, a working phone jack, and to call some asshole and pay for that shit right?

snoorkel

if you have a cable outlet you can get cable, if not you can get DSL. DSL is shitty and won't even be better than 1mbps on average in most places (yeah they advertise 15-20mbps DSL and maybe in some magical promised land it happens but most DSL is shit).

just go to comcast.com, timewarnercable.com, earthlink.net, etc and put in your address to see if they service your area.

applesauce

uh no, you have to use their internet. Is your place wired for cable? Try that first. Also Clearwire may be a really good option depending on the area.

snoorkel

Quote from: applesauce on September 06, 2011, 07:30:22 PM
uh no, you have to use their internet.

why would he have to, I assume it's wireless, if it's wired to every apartment then he could still have whatever provider services the area switch his apartment.

C.Mongler

dicks then i think i am stuck with this shitty internet then what the fuckkkk. i dont think im wired for shit. like srsly is this even legal

C.Mongler

plz note i had to run the speed test 4 times because it was so fucking slow nothing was happening.

snoorkel

Quote from: C.Mongler on September 06, 2011, 07:43:53 PM
plz note i had to run the speed test 4 times because it was so fucking slow nothing was happening.

is it wireless?

if you have a phone line, you can get your own DSL, almost guaranteed.

C.Mongler

Quote from: vziard on September 06, 2011, 07:46:28 PM
is a it wireless?

if you have a phone line, you can get your own DSL, almost guaranteed.

no its wired. still fucking ass though. and i think we are wired for phone but we dont have nones. I AM NEW TO LIVING ON MY OWN  >.<

applesauce

Quote from: vziard on September 06, 2011, 07:34:30 PM
why would he have to, I assume it's wireless, if it's wired to every apartment then he could still have whatever provider services the area switch his apartment.

lol I didn't mean internet, I meant modem. I have no idea why I typed internet.  n_u

Cookie

Quote from: vziard on September 06, 2011, 07:29:43 PM
if you have a cable outlet you can get cable, if not you can get DSL. DSL is a shitty and won't even be better than 1mbps on average in most places (yeah they advertise 15-20mbps DSL and maybe in some magical promised land it happens but most DSL is a shit).

just go to comcast.com, timewarnercable.com, earthlink.net, etc and put in your address to see if they service your area.

My DSL gets 25mbps consistently, I always hear people whining about DSL and never understood why because mine is great.

Mando Pandango

just download some better internet
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

snoorkel

Quote from: C.Mongler on September 06, 2011, 07:57:39 PM
no its wired. still fucking ass though. and i think we are wired for phone but we dont have nones. I AM NEW TO LIVING ON MY OWN  >.<

ok, you should still be able to sign up for your own DSL. there's a box somewhere in/on your apartment building with switches for every apartment, the tech can easily just plug in your phone line regardless of how the owners have it wired (usually this is allowed, I don't know why it wouldn't be).

also you don't need regular phone service for DSL, just a physical phone line. Find out who your local DSL provider is and call them oop.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

i will trade internet for eggs

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

C.Mongler

i cant find any that serves my exact apartment god fucking dammit. i wanna internet :(

Go Up