September 19, 2024, 11:44:13 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Loops?

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, August 24, 2011, 10:26:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

So, I'm looking to purchase a device that would loop a voice or perhaps multiple voices.

Does anyone on boyah have suggestions as to what to look for or purchase?

silvertone

Some kind of sampler, or if you are going for software download ableton. I read that you could find 90 samplers used for cheap. (don't ask me for names i dont really know any lol)

snoorkel

Like an analog device or software?

You can do that easily enough with a microphone and a computer, just record your sample, clip the ends off, put it on its own track in GarageBand / Ableton / whatever and make it repeat.

More expensive, but more real way of doing it, Boss makes a few relatively cheap loop pedals: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-RC-3-Loop-Station-Guitar-Bass-Effects-Pedal-RC3-/160639258533?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2566d88fa5#ht_2057wt_1165

The only problem with those is that they have limited impedance and memory, so you can't loop 20 things into it at once (you'd need multiple pedals) or expect your source to be reproduced in lossless quality.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I bought a rc-2 loop pedal a few years ago and I got a lot of use out of it. Loved the thing. But I was running a guitar and a small analog modeled synth through it. You're stuck with monophonic output there. There's also little ability to control or trigger separately recorded parts, save for a stone age undo function.

If you want to go that route, pick up the newer iteration of it. Rc3 I think. More memory is the advantage. Only being able to save like eight loops was a big limitation, especially when there's not an easy way to transfer them to a computer.

I've been using Korg's Kaossilator Pro lately and I love the hell out of that machine. It's tactile and responsive and intuitive for doing looping on the fly. The internal sounds are limited, but for hands-on externally looped live stuff, it works very well.

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbUUK_38ME[/youtube][/spoiler]

The Kaoss pad 3 works in the same regard, but the live looping capabilities are choppier. I use mine at the end of my chain strictly as an added effect processor for filter sweeps and things like that.

I also picked up an MPC 1000 a few months ago which I was primarily using to sequence drum tracks when I was away from a computer.

You can probably get an Rc2 for around $100 used on Ebay.
Kaossilator Pros retail for $400 new, but you could probably find one for as low as $250 on ebay. Probably.
I got my KP3 on ebay for less than two hundred.
Found my Mpc 1000 on guitar center's website listed for $300 used. Came with a 120gb hard drive and the upgraded OS too. Stoked about that one.

But, yeah, Snorkel's right. You can get a cheap(er) audio interface and loop using a DAW. I thought ableton had a live looping plug-in, but I could be wrong.

snoorkel

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on August 25, 2011, 09:54:16 AM
I bought a rc-2 loop pedal a few years ago and I got a lot of use out of it. Loved the thing. But I was running a guitar and a small analog modeled synth through it. You're stuck with monophonic output there. There's also little ability to control or trigger separately recorded parts, save for a stone age undo function.

If you want to go that route, pick up the newer iteration of it. Rc3 I think. More memory is the advantage. Only being able to save like eight loops was a big limitation, especially when there's not an easy way to transfer them to a computer.

I've been using Korg's Kaossilator Pro lately and I love the hell out of that machine. It's tactile and responsive and intuitive for doing looping on the fly. The internal sounds are limited, but for hands-on externally looped live stuff, it works very well.

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbUUK_38ME[/youtube][/spoiler]

The Kaoss pad 3 works in the same regard, but the live looping capabilities are choppier. I use mine at the end of my chain strictly as an added effect processor for filter sweeps and things like that.

I also picked up an MPC 1000 a few months ago which I was primarily using to sequence drum tracks when I was away from a computer.

You can probably get an Rc2 for around $100 used on Ebay.
Kaossilator Pros retail for $400 new, but you could probably find one for as low as $250 on ebay. Probably.
I got my KP3 on ebay for less than two hundred.
Found my Mpc 1000 on guitar center's website listed for $300 used. Came with a 120gb hard drive and the upgraded OS too. Stoked about that one.

But, yeah, Snorkel's right. You can get a cheap(er) audio interface and loop using a DAW. I thought ableton had a live looping plug-in, but I could be wrong.

is that your vid? If so cool.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: vziard on August 25, 2011, 03:46:07 PM
is that your vid? If so cool.

Just a one take quickie motherfucker. Nothing fancy.

snoorkel

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on August 25, 2011, 07:24:51 PM
Just a one take quickie motherfucker. Nothing fancy.

I meant your setup, looks dope. Are Kaossilators awesome (is that what that is, or a KP3)? I rly want one.

Also is that a PadKontrol? What kind of mixer/equalizer you using there?

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: vziard on August 25, 2011, 09:45:38 PM
I meant your setup, looks dope. Are Kaossilators awesome (is that what that is, or a KP3)? I rly want one.

Also is that a PadKontrol? What kind of mixer/equalizer you using there?

I have a kaossilator pro and a kp3 (not shown). As a combination, they're a fucking dream to use. You essentially have eight banks of unlimited trigger-able looping.

I pump everything into the R24 (the thing with the faders), which serves as an audio interface and a standalone recorder. Really nice machine.

The pads I use for the drums is the Mpc 1000.

When I'm putting together an actual track instead of a shitty take like this, I generally do most of the sequencing on the MPC. It's become really integrated into my setup. When I'm satisfied there, I'll push that into the R24 and record over that. The R24 can record up to twenty four standalone tracks with eight simultaneously. I'll do most of the mastering on the computer with reaper.

It's a really convoluted setup, but I make things work.

But, yeah, I love the hell out of my kaoss stuff.

snoorkel

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on August 25, 2011, 10:18:18 PM
I have a kaossilator pro and a kp3 (not shown). As a combination, they're a fucking dream to use. You essentially have eight banks of unlimited trigger-able looping.

I pump everything into the R24 (the thing with the faders), which serves as an audio interface and a standalone recorder. Really nice machine.

The pads I use for the drums is the Mpc 1000.

When I'm putting together an actual track instead of a shitty take like this, I generally do most of the sequencing on the MPC. It's become really integrated into my setup. When I'm satisfied there, I'll push that into the R24 and record over that. The R24 can record up to twenty four standalone tracks with eight simultaneously. I'll do most of the mastering on the computer with reaper.

It's a really convoluted setup, but I make things work.

But, yeah, I love the hell out of my kaoss stuff.

Nice, sounds like you put everything to good use. As soon as I have the bread I'm going to invest in a new setup with some of this stuff, awhile ago I had a totally tubular (literally) 80s Korg synth setup with some nice midi effects and pedals, but I sold it all. Some of Korg's newer releases seem really cool, though... I'd love to play around with one of them Kaossilators.  

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: vziard on August 25, 2011, 10:30:17 PM
Nice, sounds like you put everything to good use. As soon as I have the bread I'm going to invest in a new setup with some of this stuff, awhile ago I had a totally tubular (literally) 80s Korg synth setup with some nice midi effects and pedals, but I sold it all. Some of Korg's newer releases seem really cool, though... I'd love to play around with one of them Kaossilators.  

I'm just stuck with soft synths and a crummy analog-modeled microkorg which I rarely touch anymore.

But, yeah, the kaossilator's a ton of fun. It's so easy to jump right into.

snoorkel

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on August 25, 2011, 10:34:34 PM
I'm just stuck with soft synths and a crummy analog-modeled microkorg which I rarely touch anymore.

But, yeah, the kaossilator's a ton of fun. It's so easy to jump right into.

When I was bored and no one was home I would just set my Poly-61 to arpeggiate some cool sequencet, turn it up, and play drums along to that beautiful fat crispy tube noise.  giggle;

My friend had a MicroKorg (along with everyone else in the world lol), they're kind of nice but I have to say pretty cheap sounding. I've seen some cool modern Rolands, though.

Do you have any completed tracks online?  confuseddood;

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: vziard on August 25, 2011, 10:49:54 PM
When I was bored and no one was home I would just set my Poly-61 to arpeggiate some cool sequencet, turn it up, and play drums along to that beautiful fat crispy tube noise.  giggle;

My friend had a MicroKorg (along with everyone else in the world lol), they're kind of nice but I have to say pretty cheap sounding. I've seen some cool modern Rolands, though.

Do you have any completed tracks online?  confuseddood;

Yeah, I'm going to sell the micro and see if I can dig out a juno somewhere relatively cheaply. It was decent for getting the basics of synthesis down and it had a pretty cool arpeggiator, but it's really not doing me any good anymore just gathering dust.

I don't have any up right now, but I'm slowly working through a project of mine that I started in the beginning of summer. With work and everything, it's a slow go, but I'm giving it a few hours here and there.

snoorkel

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on August 25, 2011, 11:01:30 PM
Yeah, I'm going to sell the micro and see if I can dig out a juno somewhere relatively cheaply. It was decent for getting the basics of synthesis down and it had a pretty cool arpeggiator, but it's really not doing me any good anymore just gathering dust.

I don't have any up right now, but I'm slowly working through a project of mine that I started in the beginning of summer. With work and everything, it's a slow go, but I'm giving it a few hours here and there.

Cool. Well, good luck.  happydood;

Go Up