September 17, 2024, 01:51:44 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Book Talk: Book

Started by ?????, August 18, 2011, 08:15:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

What book should I read?

Catch-22
3 (75%)
As I Lay Dying
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Go Down

?????

August 18, 2011, 08:15:43 PM Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:25:22 PM by TheSequel
I need to give a book talk and I need to pick a book. What reads I boyay?

If you have any other suggestions, post them (but vote for one of the two I already chose).

BTW I haven't read either of these.
Die for Dethklok

Andria

Go with Catch-22 since I assume from the poll you haven't read it.

?????

No, I haven't read either of them.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

I personally like As I Lay Dying slightly more, just for the style, but Catch-22 is probably better.

As I Lay Dying will give you more shit to say when it comes to genre, technique/structure (Faulkner being a pioneer of early 'stream of consciousness' and cut-up style, this book being a good example), but Catch-22 would give you more to talk about with regard to the political time period and Heller's philosophy as it related to it.

?????

I think I'll end up buying both.
Die for Dethklok

YPrrrr

Catch-22, you'll better understand cultural references and it's just downright funny

?????

Catch-22 made me laugh. I like the part when Clevinger (I think that was his name) is asked when he didn't say blablabla.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

If you like it a lot, read Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. Its theme is similar but it's twice as crazy and funny, and will make you  sillydood;

?????

Hnnng, I decided to read As I Lay Dying instead of Catch-22 since AILD is shorter.
Die for Dethklok

Go Up