September 17, 2024, 01:47:03 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

hey guys recommend me some random novels

Started by Samus Aran, August 18, 2011, 02:04:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

classic, new, whatever. books you think everyone should read, and tell me why they're amazing. etc.

i ask because my aunt is gonna be using some borders gift cards asap because they're going out of business, so she's buying books for people in the family, and i have no idea what i want.

silvertone

Samus Aran

Nyerp

silvertone

Quote from: Suigintou on August 18, 2011, 02:30:55 PM
could you recommend one to start with?
I only read Wind Up Bird Chronicle and it is really good and I am going to buy the rest of his books based of this book.

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

snoorkel

Philip K. Dick - even the well-known ones are brilliant
Franz Kafka - try Amerika, it's the least boring, not that the others aren't worth reading
Reinaldo Arenas - a magical cuban author who writes about talking animals and human conflict. I'd recommend 'The Doorman'

Samus Aran

August 18, 2011, 09:21:07 PM #7 Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:27:08 PM by Suigintou
Quote from: vziard on August 18, 2011, 08:43:52 PM
Philip K. Dick - even the well-known ones are brilliant
Franz Kafka - try Amerika, it's the least boring, not that the others aren't worth reading
Reinaldo Arenas - a magical cuban author who writes about talking animals and human conflict. I'd recommend 'The Doorman'

for dick i figure i might as well start with a scanner darkly or dadoes? and see what all the hubbub is about - good idea?

and yes i should try kafka out because i'm sick of hearing his name everywhere and not really understanding the implications

snoorkel

Quote from: Suigintou on August 18, 2011, 09:21:07 PM
for dick i figure i might as well start with a scanner darkly or dadoes? and see what all the hubbub is about - good idea?

and yes i should try kafka out because i'm sick of hearing his name everywhere and not really understanding the implications

start with DADoES, it's actually one of his best books.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

read The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton

My favorite book of all time

Go Up