September 17, 2024, 01:42:54 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Does anyone write reviews on Amazon

Started by snoorkel, August 17, 2011, 11:40:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

Mostly the people who write reviews on Amazon are all 'afro-centrists' or 'anti-afro-centrists' (and argue 'afro-centrism' even when the book has nothing to do with it), bigots of some other breed, conspiracy theorists (ancient alien types), or extreme skeptics. Amazon ratings are all biased accordingly.

But some people go out of their way to write lengthy and insightful reviews that actually describe the book they're talking about. I think  this is kind of fun, especially right after reading the book, so I've taken to writing reviews for the books I've been reading recently.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO????

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

??????

one star rating because i never got the thing by mail never buying from this seller again!!

snoorkel

Quote from: Clucky on August 18, 2011, 12:00:01 AM
one star rating because i never got the thing by mail never buying from this seller again!!

yeah fuck these people jesus christ.

Selkie

Never ever.

Maybe I will if I actually read a full book sometime soon

don't let's

I never write reviews because I don't usually have much to say about stuff other than "I like it" "it's awesome" etc. And I'd rather not just write something like that.

snoorkel

I mostly take time to write 1/5 star reviews for terrible books that esoteric/conspiracy maniacs love, like this one (trying to balance its totally unwarranted 5 star average):

Quote1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but worthless. , August 12, 2011
By Paracelsus (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Secret Destiny of America (Paperback)

My advice if you are interested in this title: find a free eBook, don't waste money on it.

This book is not so much an engaging piece of research, or even evolved thought, as much as it is a series of brief summaries of the topics mentioned in its Description. Hall's premise is that the history of the United States has been presided over, basically, by esoteric organizations, a few nameless and shadowy figures who advised leaders, and by prophetic angels. The weight of the entire book rests in a few sentences, where he says exactly what I just have -- the rest is mindless fluff.

Mentioned are Nostradamus, the Great Seal, Francis Bacon, secret societies (none named explicitly), Christopher Columbus, and Thomas Paine, each topic with its own short chapter containing a flourish of the author's rambling theories. Also mentioned are a few accounts of cryptic 'prophecies' and visions bestowed upon random figures in history, records of these apparently found quite randomly by the author in the Library of Congress. The titles of these obscure works are given, but no details are given as to where in each title the material comes from; in fact, this book is entirely without citations or footnotes of any sort.

The material is somewhat interesting, although very simply and, I would say, poorly written. I don't doubt that parts of it bear resemblance to real truths, but this book cannot be called a legitimate investigation by any stretch. I read it online in a couple hours, and I'd recommend you do the same. Don't waste your dollars on a print copy (it looks horribly designed anyway).

Go Up