September 30, 2024, 12:34:47 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Sorry, Tyler.

Started by Hiro, July 18, 2011, 10:31:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nyerp

Quote from: Kaz on July 19, 2011, 03:13:52 PM
not entirely. the gamecube has plenty of third party titles. they just got largely overlooked, unfortunately.

it certainly has less than, say, the ps2. but still.

...but does it have plenty of GOOD ones?

Kalahari Inkantation

now that i think about it, i think i may have just one third party gamecube game

lol

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on July 19, 2011, 03:42:28 PM
...but does it have plenty of GOOD ones?

yep. not that you'd know since you probably never played almost any of them, but...

ikaruga
viewtiful joe
viewtiful joe 2
eternal darkness
resident evil 4
killer7
tales of symphonia
mgs: twin snakes
skies of arcadia legends
soul calibur ii
star wars rogue squadron ii: rogue leader
mega man x collection
mega man anniversary collection
phantasy star online

those are the ones that immediately come to mind, at least. there are some i haven't even played, and probably several that i'm forgetting. plus if i really wanted to i could name some that are only mildly good, or just decent.

the gamecube's got a good library. granted, it's still small next to the ps2's, but it's certainly more than worthwhile, especially when you add all the first party games to the above list to double it.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Kaz on July 19, 2011, 04:01:49 PM
the gamecube's got a good library. granted, it's still small next to the ps2's

And smaller than the Dreamcast's by about 80 titles. maps;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tectrinket on July 19, 2011, 04:07:45 PM
And smaller than the Dreamcast's by about 80 titles. maps;

well i meant the library of good games. the dreamcast does not particularly have a lot of good games, despite having a lot of games in general.

plus many of them are obscure and expensive

Nyerp

Quote from: Kaz on July 19, 2011, 04:01:49 PM
ikaruga
viewtiful joe
viewtiful joe 2
eternal darkness
resident evil 4
killer7
tales of symphonia
mgs: twin snakes
skies of arcadia legends
soul calibur ii
star wars rogue squadron ii: rogue leader
mega man x collection
mega man anniversary collection
phantasy star online

i bolded the ones that were ports, remakes, multiplats, or were released later for other systems

that leaves 2 games, kaz

Hiro

Quote from: Nyerp on July 19, 2011, 04:22:31 PM
i bolded the ones that were ports, remakes, multiplats, or were released later for other systems

that leaves 2 games, kaz
why don't multiplatform games count, especially ones that were originally cube-exclusive (like re4)? goonish
If you took all those into account on PS2, you wouldn't have as many games either.

Nyerp

Quote from: Hiro on July 19, 2011, 04:41:52 PM
why don't multiplatform games count, especially ones that were originally cube-exclusive (like re4)? goonish
If you took all those into account on PS2, you wouldn't have as many games either.

...because that defeats the purpose of buying a gamecube just to play those games and the argument that the gamecube "has" them? goonish

i'm not arguing for the ps2, i'm arguing against the gamecube

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on July 19, 2011, 04:22:31 PM

that leaves 2 games, kaz

shows how much you know. ps2 symphonia was never released stateside, and otherwise, most of the bolded "ports, remakes, multiplats, or released later games" are actually pretty much the best versions of those games.

except ikaruga because on xbla/psn the online high scores actually work, otherwise it's the same game though.

you're just really picky, you know that? exclusives aren't the only things in the world - if they were, we'd have almost no fucking good games.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on July 19, 2011, 04:44:44 PM
...because that defeats the purpose of buying a gamecube just to play those games and the argument that the gamecube "has" them? goonish

i'm not arguing for the ps2, i'm arguing against the gamecube

nobody said anything about buying a gamecube just to play those games

i simply said that they're good games in the gamecube library of third party games goonish

why are you going off on a tangent goonish

Nyerp

Quote from: Kaz on July 19, 2011, 04:47:40 PM
ps2 symphonia was never released stateside

and that matters because...?

Quote from: Kaz on July 19, 2011, 04:47:40 PM
you're just really picky, you know that? exclusives aren't the only things in the world - if they were, we'd have almost no fucking good games.

i don't give a shit that they're not exclusives, nor do i not play a god damn game BECAUSE it's not an exclusive, i'm simply trying to say that since the games you mentioned AREN'T exclusive, you can't just list them as "good third party gamecube games"

exclusives, third party support, and system capability are all factors that one takes into account when comparing consoles, and the gamecube was simply lacking when you compared its library to the ps2's or its horsepower to the xbox's

Samus Aran

but they are good third party gamecube games

because they're good
they're third party
and they're on the gamecube

that should be all that matters really. i'm not comparing consoles per se. just listing good third party games that are in the gamecube's library.

that's it.

bluaki

The only third-party Gamecube games I have are Billy Hatcher, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, MGS Twin Snakes, Tales of Symphonia, Harvest Moon: AWL, and the Sonic games. Of this collection, Billy Hatcher and FFCC are both completely Gamecube-exclusive, MGS/Harvest Moon/Sonic Adventure 2 have their best versions on GCN, and only the other Sonic games have versions of at least equal quality released on other platforms.
Quote from: Nyerp on July 19, 2011, 05:00:32 PM
and that matters because...?
Because we're not Japanese and, for us, ToS really is a Gamecube-exclusive game.

Samus Aran

i actually forgot about FFCC

i guess it's at least somewhat good

Hiro

I wish I had FFCC, as well as Billy Hatcher. Both games were underrated.
And Chibi-Robo  :(

Go Up