October 02, 2024, 09:30:34 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Homepage

Started by Daddy, July 16, 2011, 05:50:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

What would you as a boyager want on a homepage/?

Tri4se

A page full of doodthings. Just doodthings.

Thyme

applesauce

don't let's

Links to the forum, status page, twitter, etc. A nice logo. Maybe integrated stream functions. Or links to them anyway. Or maybe even the various stream schedules.

Hiro

Honestly I would have boyah.net just be the forums, and get rid of the /forums part.

But if nobody else wants that, then maybe like a blog that certain people can post on, maybe they have to meet a certain requirement or we can have a weekly poll to decide who becomes the "guest author" for the week or something.
Or maybe we can make a single livestream account that anyone who wants can access to stream from, and we can just embed the stream and chat on the site.

And what live said, links to the forums, status page, twitter, etc.

Daddy

Quote from: Hiro on July 16, 2011, 06:01:38 PM
Honestly I found have boyah.net just be the forums, and get rid of the /forums part.
But if nobody else wants that, then maybe like a blog that certain people can post on, maybe they have to meet a certain requirement or we can have a weekly poll to decide who becomes the "guest author" for the week or something.
Or maybe we can make a single livestream account that anyone who wants can access to stream from, and we can just embed the stream and chat on the site.
it'd break so many links lol

Nyerp

nothing because i never even see the damn thing

Hiro

Quote from: Khadafi on July 16, 2011, 06:02:15 PM
it'd break so many links lol
True I suppose. There's not a way around that, like a redirect or something?

Andria

tofu recipes is what would be on my boyah homepage

that and pictures of hetalia characters

snoorkel

Quote from: Thyme on July 16, 2011, 05:55:40 PM
the status blog goowan

this is a decent idea

Quote from: Hiro on July 16, 2011, 06:01:38 PM
Honestly I would have boyah.net just be the forums, and get rid of the /forums part.

And what live said, links to the forums, status page, twitter, etc.

also a good idea, I've wanted to do this. I like the blog idea, if people would actually do it (I think at least 2 people would), I imagine some kind of awesome multi-media portal thing with a blog column, livestream, widgets for latest forum topics/posts and twitter...

I think we underestimate the ability of a decent homepage to get us many new members (if you guys even want them lol) -- boyah is so big and old that a little bit of content outside the forums will make us skyrocket in search rankings and get hundreds or thousands of people each week randomly finding the site.

Quote from: Hiro on July 16, 2011, 07:03:07 PM
True I suppose. There's not a way around that, like a redirect or something?

it wouldn't be impossible, some simple .htaccess trickery would work.

snoorkel

Also I'm STILL developing a 'free web services' site with a file mirror, proxy, free FTP accounts/basic hosting, seedbox access, and some other stuff. It could be a members-only section of the homepage, or at least part of it.

Daddy

Quote from: vziard on July 16, 2011, 07:46:32 PM
this is a decent idea

no that idea sucks because the status blog is on its own subdomain domain solely for the fact that if boyah.net's server is down then status.boyah.net is still up since it's on a different server (tumblr's server)

Hosting the status blog on this server would do us no good when the server crashes and people try to check the status blog to see if and why the server is down. akudood;

don't let's

July 16, 2011, 08:06:40 PM #13 Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 08:10:22 PM by Live
I would like to take this time to point out that checking the status blog to see why Boyah is down never works. Or almost never.

And couldn't boyah.net just redirect to satus.boyah.net or just the tumblr url, if you were going to go that route?

Daddy

If it's one of those hour or two long things it does'nt get posted on the blog.

If it's been down for a while and I'm aware of it then I post.  But if it's some random outage in the afternoon that happens like twice a week then it's no biggie.

Go Up