September 17, 2024, 01:35:09 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Post-Dubstep

Started by C.Mongler, June 29, 2011, 09:39:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

C.Mongler

I have been listening to James Blake to death and I'd like something else in a similar style. Like, I like the wub wubs and the heavy bass of dubstep, but I like the sensualness and emotion of shit like James Blake and Burial. But that's all I know of :(

WHAT ELSE IS THERE

Thyme

C.Mongler

snoorkel

me003

Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

silvertone

I thought this thread was going to be a joke.  psyduck;

Patrick Stickles

there's seriously a fucking genre called post-dubstep?

how long has dubstep even been around to call something post-dubstep?
What the fuck was it for anyway?

[hedy]Zidone

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on June 30, 2011, 04:58:24 PM
there's seriously a fucking genre called post-dubstep?

how long has dubstep even been around to call something post-dubstep?

Quote from: Wackypedia on post-dubstepPost-dubstep is a subgenre of dubstep that emerged in 2009.[citation needed] It describes music that is influenced by dubstep but should be considered distinct from other contemporary styles of dubstep. Taking cues from earlier dubstep productions as well as UK Garage and 2-step, post-dubstep often noticeably encompasses elements of ambient music[citation needed], minimal music, and early 2000s R&B which in particular is heavily sampled by two of the genre's pioneers, Mount Kimbie and James Blake.[citation needed] Its tracks are typically at around 130 beats per minute.[1]

[citation needed]

But yeah, the earliest dubstep dates back to around 1998-2001 or something like that. It's not terribly new.

snoorkel

Quote from: Zidone on June 30, 2011, 05:00:59 PM
[citation needed]

But yeah, the earliest dubstep dates back to around 1998-2001 or something like that. It's not terribly new.

Yeah, and I don't really agree with 'post-dubstep' (don't agree with calling it that, not disagreeing with you), stuff like Mount Kimbie is downtempo beat music half-removed from electronic hip-hop/glitch (also an old genre) and James Blake/etc are typical electronic DJ'ing and mixing. nothing I've seen called 'post-dubstep' is anything new, the only difference now is that it's being put out in song format instead of underground radio shows and hour-long mixes (where the genre has its roots). it's like dubstep finally got out of the UK, where it's been maturing for a decade, now everyone thinks Skrillex is some amazing new thing

Hiro

it's really just an easier way to label newer electronic music with the wubwub that isn't shitty skrillex-type bro shit

C.Mongler

Yeah I didn't want to be like GIMME SOME DUBSTEP and everyone is like CHECK OUT THIS SKIRLLEX TRACK MAN. So I just put post-dubstep because it more describes what I'm actually looking for  doodthing;

snoorkel

I wasn't trying to shit on your thread or say you're incorrect just voicing my dislike of what 'dubstep' has come to be thought of

C.Mongler

GENRE WARS

but seriously i just want shit that sounds like james blake. actually i like this glitchy shit too, so things that sound like this sorta are cool too

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZs-KuSb8o[/youtube]

Go Up