September 17, 2024, 01:24:06 PM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I'm going to learn bass guitar

Started by strongbad, June 24, 2011, 01:40:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I've decided to stop being such a fat fuck and do something worthwhile. I'm borrowing my friend's brother's bass to get started. And this isn't bullshit, I'm actually going to do it. Hell, if you guys ever want to bug me about doing it, please do, I want as much motivation (external and internal) as possible.

Does anybody have any good online resources for guitar learning? I'm trying to spend at least an hour a day on this, and ideally I want to only use the internet and not spend any money. Also, if there are any good programs or books or something that I could pirate, I would be equally interested.

Thanks dudes

snoorkel

start by playing by yourself and figuring out where the notes on the frets are (or at least how you can pluck scales using all the strings)

then try playing along to songs with a little online help (search for tabs)

then learn guitar.

Socks

all i know is you better catch some fish.

Mando Pandango

I play bass, completely self-taught. Hit me up on AIM or something if you have questions or want advice or something.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

ikanaide

strongbad

Quote from: Man of Popcikle on June 24, 2011, 07:16:49 PM
I play bass, completely self-taught. Hit me up on AIM or something if you have questions or want advice or something.

Will do definitely.
I'm going through tutorials right now for basic scales and such, but once I can get over this hump I'm sure I'll seek your wisdom.

Mando Pandango

Major scale: up two frets, two frets, one fret, two frets, two frets, two frets, one fret
Minor scale: up two frets, one fret, two frets, two frets, one fret, two frets, two frets

This is how I think of scales, rather than just memorizing the notes to each specific root. It helps me see patterns in the songs that I play, which makes basic improvization pretty simple. Most rock music uses the minor scale.

Each string is a perfect 4th higher than the string below it. Octaves are 7 frets apart on adjacent string, 2 frets apart on strings with one string between them.

Uh... that's all the important basic stuff I can think of off the top of my head. Someone once told me to memorize the notes to the first 12 frets on each string, one string at a time, and I think that's sound advice.

Silversun Pickups have a lot of good bass parts for beginners.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

Thanks, I appreciate it.
I've been going through these lessons, and this one in particular is hard to wrap my mind around: http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/plucking/

I was following it really well until the concept of muting came up. Using your thumb to mute strings makes sense, but when they start talking about using your ring finger, it was beyond me.

Mando Pandango

If I wasn't on my phone I'd type up my technique for muting strings. Remind me to do it when I get home.

Go Up