What are your opinions on Nintendo's actual plans for the eighth generation?

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, April 20, 2011, 05:52:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

lol

yay
6 (60%)
nay
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

So by now, most of you have probably heard of the rumors about Nintendo's next console, apparently titled "Project Cafe".  According to rumors it is to be at least as powerful as the current PS3/360, be capable of operating in HD, and make use of an entirely new controller focusing less on motion control and more on traditional gaming -- although it may contain a built-in touch-sensitive HD screen and accelerometer.  In addition, it may employ Blu-Ray discs as its primary media format and be fully backwards-compatible with the Wii (and presumably the Gamecube).  If rumors are accurate it is to be debuted by Nintendo at this year's E3 and ultimately released in winter 2012.

what are your thoughts on this sillydood;

honestly, i wouldn't mind if most of it turned out to be true, nothing is particularly outrageous or worrying about most of the rumors

well, aside from what is arguably the most significant one, which is that it is to be released in 2012 smithicide;

I was hoping this generation would at least last a few more years as Sony and Microsoft wished for, and that we wouldn't even be hearing of new consoles until late 2012, but Nintendo's release of Project Cafe may force Sony and Microsoft to announce new consoles early as well and end this underdeveloped generation prematurely. awdood;

i feel as if it's only just started picking up and there is still much untapped potential, but it seems as though focus is already shifting away from this still-developing generation :'(

and then there's the fact that i'm not yet ready to spend more money on a brand new set of expensive toys goowan

YPrrrr

Hey maybe I can actually enjoy owning a Nintendo console again. Although I might be too busy to invest in one by then...

ME##

I'll start with the rumours.  I doubt that it'll have either an HD screen in the controller [a screen is imaginable, but seeing as how the 3DS still uses a resistive touchscreen, I'd expect the screen on the controller to probably be about the quality of the original DS screens] or a Blu-Ray drive as Nintendo hasn't even given the Wii proper DVD functionality which they promised way back when. 

And I'd be fine as long as it doesn't try to surpass the PS3 and Xbox 360 in ability and functionality.  I guess it doesn't bother me too much.  Nintendo has shown with the Wii that they were okay with making an underpowered system to sell at a high profit margin with the Wii and post-DS Lite revisions, so if it uses already established [read: cheap] parts used in the other two they'll just continue this trend.

And I wouldn't say that all hope is lost for this generation.  There are still several far off big-name projects for the PS3 and Xbox 360 that need to be released. 

[spoiler]Though I guess they could just be pushed off to be launch titles for the next systems. smithicide;[/spoiler]

Kalahari Inkantation

i should mention that i'm not sure i buy all the rumours either, as it does seem unlikely that nintendo would use blu-ray discs, and a motion- and touch-sensitive controller with an HD screen embedded into it sounds extremely expensive, but the most believable and most worrying rumour to me is that they would consider releasing a new console as early as 2012 at all befuddlement

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Kotomaru on April 20, 2011, 06:05:54 PM
[spoiler]Though I guess they could just be pushed off to be launch titles for the next systems. smithicide;[/spoiler]

That's my biggest fear.  And even if they are released for this generation's consoles as planned, they could be the last of its major titles. myface;

ME##

Quote from: Swirly Glasses on April 20, 2011, 06:15:47 PM

That's my biggest fear.  And even if they are released for this generation's consoles as planned, they could be the last of its major titles. myface;

Oh god.  It'd be Twilight Princess all over again.

[spoiler]And the current gen consoles would probably get the better version.  Or at least, I'm under the impression that most people prefer TP on the Gamebox sillydood;[/spoiler]

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

don't let's

I've thought before that maybe Nintendo just put out a relatively cheap system to make a lot of money off of it and then put out something a lot better. And If it goes backwards compatible to the Gamecube I will definitely buy it at some point. Also, I guess Nintendo won't be releasing a new console at the same time as the other people for a while now.

Dullahan

Hey, I think it's cool that they're going back to the traditional use of controllers. They should just stick with their own franchises and platforms since they're good at maintaining them. I just think that the more they add new shit, the more they screw up.

Still, I'm probably gonna go with the next Xbox. Although I would like to see more competition in the next generation of gaming.

Imagine Google releasing a console in the next generation.  goowan

Hiro

I'm looking forward to it.
I don't even get why you're complaining about the release thing. When the Wii came out, it was already not much far ahead of the last generation in terms of horsepower. Also, while the 360/PS3 were designed to last for around 8 or so years, the Wii was intended for a typical console run, which is around 5 years. By the time the new system will allegedly come out, it will have been 6.
I am almost positive it won't have an HD screen, but I could very much see it having a blu-ray drive. A more traditional controller could be nice.

Nyerp

i just want fucking skyward sword and that new kirby game god damn it nintendo

Bushy

Fuck another generation so soon I just got a PS3 5 months ago fuck fuck fuck dammit
@pokemonyewest on Twitter

Hiro

Quote from: Bushy on April 20, 2011, 11:14:59 PM
Fuck another generation so soon I just got a PS3 5 months ago fuck fuck fuck dammit
I got a PS2 in 2007  akudood;
besides, we're talking about a Nintendo system here, not PS4
And even if Sony decided to rush a PS4 out the same time as the new Nintendo system, you'd still have had the PS3 for 2 years by then.

Bushy

Quote from: Ashitaka on April 21, 2011, 12:08:13 AM
I got a PS2 in 2007  akudood;
besides, we're talking about a Nintendo system here, not PS4
And even if Sony decided to rush a PS4 out the same time as the new Nintendo system, you'd still have had the PS3 for 2 years by then.
I need a console at least 4 years before I begin to get bored with it. Wii is an exception because it's horrible.

June 2004: Bought a PS2
December 2008: Bought a Wii
December 2010: PS3 PS3 PS3
@pokemonyewest on Twitter

Hiro

Quote from: Bushy on April 21, 2011, 12:02:09 PM
I need a console at least 4 years before I begin to get bored with it. Wii is an exception because it's horrible.

June 2004: Bought a PS2
December 2008: Bought a Wii
December 2010: PS3 PS3 PS3
Well if it took you 4 years to get the PS3, who's to say you'll be getting the PS4 immediately anyways? goonish

Quote from: Snowy620 on April 21, 2011, 12:17:03 PM
>Nintendo home console
>As powerful as PS3/360

Pick one, it can't be both.
come on, stop being so butthurt. baddood;

Go Up