September 12, 2024, 04:05:05 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

This post was read thirteen times.

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, March 26, 2011, 07:12:42 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

March 26, 2011, 07:12:42 AM Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:26:59 PM by Not Sid
RED HOT + RIO 2. link to pitchfork with Beirut covering Caetano Veloso ->http://pitchfork.com/news/42003-beck-dirty-projectors-neon-indian-of-montreal-beirut-devendra-on-red-hot-tropicalia-tribute/

also here's a link from Red Hot Organization that may better explain Tropicalia. -> http://www.redhot.org/music/tropicalia-a-brief-history/

Anywayz, Red Hot is a aids charity that puts out compilations. Musicians featured on these compilations (different compilations mind you) are Tom Waits, Smashing Pumpkins, David Byrne, Maxwell, Dolly Parton, Wu Tang Clan, Pavement, Dirty Projectors, et cetera et cetera.

Red Hot + Rio 2 features dirty projectors and a few other bands (read the goddamn pitchfork link) covering songs by the likes of Os Mutantes and Tom Ze

I went through my itunes list, and most of my music is performed by white people. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, r.e.m., Iggy Pop, Bob Dylan.This made me realize that perhaps the variety in my music that I take pride in isn't actually all that varied. That sentence was worded weird, but I can't think of any other way to put it. Nor do I care to put it in another way. Boyagers please feel free to reword my sentence to better suit your needs.

After listening to David Byrne's audiobook for Bicycle Diaries (specifically that chapter on Buenos Aires, which included snippets of him doing latin influenced reworkings of talking heads songs and latin american performers and such that he enjoys) I grew more attracted to music from Latin America/South America or whatever. Also, Tropicalia from Beck's Mutation album struck a chord with me.

Anyway, I don't know specifically know where to start with this type of music, any boyagers out there please throw some artists my way.

Go Up