September 24, 2024, 03:31:24 PM

1,531,321 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Building Sand-castles out of Snow

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, October 14, 2010, 08:46:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I get these phases of identity crisis where Iââ,¬â,,¢m not sure about the kind of person I am.

Or put into laymanââ,¬â,,¢s terms and the terms of my own tongue; sometimes I get completely fucking sick and tired of my surroundings and the people it comprises.

This semester has been a murky sludgefeast so far, in some senses. In others, itââ,¬â,,¢s been a sunny pile of rainbow wrapped in a taffy shell with a bottle of spiced rum on top. Work piles up until itââ,¬â,,¢s kicking cloud stomachs and Iââ,¬â,,¢m stuck at the bottom trying to pry out piece by piece, hoping the whole stack doesnââ,¬â,,¢t come down on my head and melt my brain while the people who make my life worthwhile and complete are jumping hurdles and taking out of state internships and shooting the moon. I blame society.

So, instead of flirting with mental exhaustion, I do what every normal person does.

Very Little

But thatââ,¬â,,¢s not true. I decided to completely dedicate myself to a project, an idea.

I looked at my bachelor clutter and saw a floating set of shiny new hand constructed shelves through my post-essay shimmer. Iââ,¬â,,¢ll need lumber.

The idea of purchasing costly specialty lumber and some new hand tools and more on my day off (thursdays are either for pounding out late friday work or for doing absolutely nothing) seemed a little ambitious, but I did just that. I made measurements while doing the occasional shot of mint schnopps to improve my vision and went to my friendââ,¬â,,¢s garage to saw and route and everything. And now I have a set of beautiful cherry shelves, sans varnish (thatââ,¬â,,¢s for another day maybe), that are itching to hold up stuff.

I know I might possibly talk about this kind of thing a lot; ways to pacify restlessness and kill foggy feelings, but there might be some merit to it.

Every good piece of writing may or may not have a moral, depending on how you may or may not look at it. So, if I was reading this with an interpretive spirit, Iââ,¬â,,¢d say this.

-Whenever you feel like things are overwhelming you, step back, gain perspective and build some shelves.

applesauce

Cookie

I find building almost anything can settle my mind.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Cookie on October 14, 2010, 08:52:20 PM
I find building almost anything can settle my mind.

It's the process I think. The smell too.
Sawdust and hot wood throw off mellow odors.

?????

Die for Dethklok

applesauce

I built a wooden chair a couple weeks ago.

Nyerp

?????

Quote from: Nyerp on October 14, 2010, 08:58:06 PM
put some issues of playboy on it
and the bottles of lotion while you're at it
Die for Dethklok

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Socks

i tend to look for my crutches. unfortunately, they're never sturdy enough for my weight, only teasing me into an upright position.

?????

Quote from: Fandango on October 14, 2010, 09:01:51 PM
I was thinking some photos or a clock
That's boring. You should spell something out with legos or something.

Quote from: Socks on October 14, 2010, 09:18:07 PM
i tend to look for my crutches. unfortunately, they're never sturdy enough for my weight, only teasing me into an upright position.
I can't help but notice your out-of-date Firefox version.
Die for Dethklok

Hiro

Go Up