September 22, 2024, 04:34:26 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

yesterday

Started by Samus Aran, October 09, 2010, 11:56:51 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

So yesterday, a few things came together that convinced me to leave campus for a while. I had just finished watching a great movie ("Rebecca"), so I was feeling particularly joyful. Suddenly, loud fucking alarms and random beeps and "testing testing" and a bunch of other obnoxious noise - some dudes were testing the alarm systems on campus. I couldn't take it - I decided to go for a drive.

Before that, however, I went to the little grocery store on campus to get some things for the weekend, since they're open at weird, hard to remember times on Saturday and Sunday. As the cashier rang my stuff up, she asked where I was from. I said "Baudette." She said that's kinda far away, but I said I'm actually living here permanently now. "Here for the weekend then, huh? No sense in driving home when home's right here."

That gave me an idea. For no particular reason at all, I decided to make the two-hour drive back to Baudette. I have no family or friends there anymore. I just felt like going there. I took the most convoluted ways back I could manage. I ended up in counties I'd never even been in before. I found Chippewa National Forest - who even knew that existed? Not me. I went through countless small towns I'd never seen before because they're far away from the main highways - Northome is the only one I can remember by name. I blasted great music, sped obnoxiously fast down bumpy back roads, and just generally had a great time. What should have been a two-hour trip took me about three and a half.

When I got there, I was hungry. I decided to eat at an old restaurant called "The Ranch House." I got a huge mushroom swiss burger, a giant plate of fries, a tall glass of Mountain Dew, and a side-order of about 15 deep-fried mushrooms with cheese sauce to dip them in. All for about $12. I was the only one in there. The waitress had way too much makeup on and she thought I was younger than I am, because when she brought me my water before I ordered, she pushed the coffee mug out of the way, saying, "you won't be needing this, hon."

On the way back, though, I had an EXTRAORDINARY bowel movement that could not be halted - I had to pull over on some unknown gravel road and use nothing but tall grass.

Oh, and have you ever seen anyone accidentally pull up to a gas pump with the wrong side of their car facing it? I did that yesterday. I've rarely felt so retarded.

I will from now on make it a more regular thing to just get out and drive wherever-the-fuck. It was fun.  :3

[spoiler]sorry if you expected something truly interesting like boognish's threads, i just felt like posting a thread[/spoiler]

sans culottes

I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: cozio on October 09, 2010, 12:19:06 PM
cool story, kerouac

thanks

i actually have not read On the Road yet, at least not most of it. i started it and about 20 pages in i stopped and forgot about it.

sans culottes

yeah i've been meaning to read it too. kaz, would you like to join me on a road trip across the country? we can cruise down the interstates in an old convertible, camp out off the side of the road, pick up hitchhikers and gypsies, and live off a diet of beef jerky, cheap beer, and reefer.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

that would be pretty awesome, actually

I'm reminded of the old Boyage that Lawlz and I wanted to do. now I really wish I could do something like that. :'(

sans culottes

sure is a shame we live at opposite ends of the mississippi. i've always wanted to roll down the river to a soundtrack of CCR
I support BUSH

Nyerp

what the fuck, you actually went and took a shit in some grass? gross

Daddy

Yesterday,
All my troubles seemed so far away,
Now it looks as though they're here to stay,
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on October 09, 2010, 03:18:58 PM
what the fuck, you actually went and took a shit in some grass? gross

I HAD TO

IT WAS TERRIBLE BUT I HAD TO :'(

FAMY2

Nate and I was just talking about this. It's amazing how much there is just off the roads you drive everyday. One road, which I thought was a driveway, turned out to lead to a cemetery. Just past the cemetery was a sign that said it was impassable in very wet weather.   psyduck;  That seemed like the perfect horror movie start. The one everyone in the audience boos and thinks, dumb blond wtf are you thinking.  n_u  So I turned around and went walking in the cemetery. (Really dumb blond.  >.<)   Turns out I am glad I did. I found the graves of my great great grandparents.

I really want to find out where the rest of the road leads to.

Samus Aran

yeah i have a lot of roads i still want to try out. one road about an hour from here is called "kansas city road." it always struck me as funny, not just because it sure isn't anywhere near kansas city, but also because...there's something humorous about such an importantly named road being some bumfuck nowhere gravel road obscured by trees

no idea what's down that road. also wanna try "waldo road," which makes me smile every time i pass it.

Travis

i want to do this. god dammit i can't wait until i get my license

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Driving is wonderfully therapeutic.   giggle;

The only kind of "extreme" road trip I've ever been on (besides family ventures out west) was with a group of good good good friends a few years ago. We drove out and camped near the badlands and then went to the tetons.  

Fondest memories.

But I do drive a lot when I"m stressed and finding those highways in disguise is always special and exciting, like being a modern explorer.

Socks

i need little incentive to spend time driving around half aimlessly. i cannot resist the urge to light up and take everything in, so most of the time i'm in my own head with music pouring down my earlobes. but now and then i'll notice some truly spectacular shit and just stare at it. it is great because other than the period prior to deep sleep, driving offers the best ambiance for fostering thoughts & feelings.

Kalahari Inkantation

when i get a license and a lot of time to waste i would love to just drive anywhere for a while :'(

Go Up