July 08, 2024, 09:39:44 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

so, ps2 and ps3...

Started by Samus Aran, September 13, 2010, 04:05:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

I was a Gamecube kid. I didn't bother getting a PS2 or Xbox. These days, I obviously very much regret never buying a PS2 back in the day. Huge collection of games I've missed out on.

Here's the thing. Originally, I hadn't planned on buying a PS2 because I thought I was going to be living with someone who already has one. Now that those plans are no longer gonna happen, I'm strongly considering buying a used PS2 Slim for like $60 or something. Maybe less if I can find it for less. I haven't looked everywhere yet.

However, then I thought...well, maybe I should just buy a PS3 instead? I mean, there are some games for it that I want. Not a lot - not nearly as many as for the PS2, but it's not like I can't play PS2 games on the PS3 also anyway. Obviously $300 is a lot more than $60 (or $100 for a new PS2), though.

I don't know, now that I'm reading what I wrote, I'm leaning more on simply getting a PS2 for now. I am a console collector, so I'd get one eventually anyway even if I did get a PS3, so maybe I should just get the PS2 now and the PS3 later. It's not like I'd be missing out on tons.

What do you guys think?

Thyme

Actually getting a backward-compatible PS3 is going to cost you a lot more than $300.

You might actually end up saving money in comparison if you get a new PS3 and the PS2 separately.

YPrrrr

I suppose it depends on how cheaply you can find a ps3 that plays ps2 games... If you can find it somewhere around 100 bucks then jump on that, but otherwise I guess for your price range I'd just stick to the PS2 confuseddood;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thyme on September 13, 2010, 04:08:58 PM
Actually getting a backward-compatible PS3 is going to cost you a lot more than $300.

oh that's right, only the first ps3s were backward-compatible, huh? befuddlement

i totally forgot about that

YPrrrr

Yep, kind of sucks, but I'm quite happy that I got mine before they cut it out girl;

Kalahari Inkantation

Actually, you can't play PS2 games on the PS3.  Not the more recent models, anyway. goowan

a ps2-compatible ps3 will also cost you about $300, but it will be used and/or refurbished and probably more likely to break (ps2-compatible models are known to be a bit more fragile than their newer counterparts and the fact that you'd be purchasing a used or refurbished console doesn't help)

If you're willing to do without PS3 games for now, it'd probably be best to just purchase a PS2; otherwise your only other option is to buy a used PS3. :'(

or you could spend $600+ on a new ps2-compatible one but that's a lot of money befuddlement

Wrench

Get the PS2 now. Get the PS3 after the PS4 or whenever the price drops down significantly.

Nyerp

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Ted on September 13, 2010, 04:14:00 PM
Actually, you can't play PS2 games on the PS3.  Not the more recent models, anyway. goowan

a ps2-compatible ps3 will also cost you about $300, but it will be used and/or refurbished and probably more likely to break (ps2-compatible models are known to be a bit more fragile than their newer counterparts and the fact that you'd be purchasing a used or refurbished console doesn't help)

If you're willing to do without PS3 games for now, it'd probably be best to just purchase a PS2; otherwise your only other option is to buy a used PS3. :'(

or you could spend $600+ on a new ps2-compatible one but that's a lot of money befuddlement
not all the time. I dont know why you have a set ideal about buying used things that they have a 95% of breaking on you.  doodhuh;
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Crispix on September 14, 2010, 07:36:18 AM
not all the time. I dont know why you have a set ideal about buying used things that they have a 95% of breaking on you.  doodhuh;

refurbished ps3s typically don't last very long akudood;

Geno

Hey Kaz, remember that one time when we went to gamestop to get a PS3 to play PS2 games on? And when we bought it we told the guy at the counter that we were going to go play some Final Fantasy X on it when we got home? And then he told us that you can't play PS2 games on the PS3 anymore? And then you got sad so I punched him in the fucking face? And then I grabbed the money and ran? And then we got ice cream?
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Ted on September 14, 2010, 07:42:28 AM
refurbished ps3s typically don't last very long akudood;
not really. my second PS3 was refurbished and it works fine  doodhuh;
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

YPrrrr

Quote from: GENOP on September 14, 2010, 01:57:34 PM
Hey Kaz, remember that one time when we went to gamestop to get a PS3 to play PS2 games on? And when we bought it we told the guy at the counter that we were going to go play some Final Fantasy X on it when we got home? And then he told us that you can't play PS2 games on the PS3 anymore? And then you got sad so I punched him in the fucking face? And then I grabbed the money and ran? And then we got ice cream?
rep; rep; rep;

Go Up