music that you really enjoy but are too afraid to play in front of other people

Started by hobbit, September 09, 2010, 05:13:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

hobbit

do you like any bands/artists a whole lot but they aren't that popular so you don't  play their music in front of friends/people because they're really obscure and you're worried about them judging you for liking them?

post those type of bands here.

for me that would be sigur ros or the flashbulb

Hiro

The Mars Volta  akudood;
Also Caesars, Mando Diao, Dr Dog, Ween, and M83.
Not because they're too obscure, but because they'd either be awkward or I'd feel like they're judging me ;_;

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Hïro on September 09, 2010, 05:19:31 PM
Ween
Not because they're too obscure, but because they'd either be awkward or I'd feel like they're judging me ;_;

No! If you pick and choose the right songs, they're the perfect band to get people excited and stoked and then you whip out the Pod and God Ween Satan and crush their minds with the delectably mushy musical sludge that only dean and gene can bring. Do you have all their albums? Do you want to talk about Ween because I haven't talked about them for ages and they're probably my favorite band.

But I've gotten to the point where I completely dont really give a shit when I play something weird or obscure. I enjoy explaining what it is and why its good.

But, there was one time when I was on the porch with some friends and the fucking Hot toddies came on and I had to kind of push things along.

??????

Quote from: steal on September 09, 2010, 05:59:04 PM
I'm not ashamed of anything I listen to.

Why would you be ashamed of Sigur Ros and the Flashbulb? They make beautiful music. Although I'm not a huge fan of sigur ros.
his voice has the tendency to turn some people off or be the focus of ridicule (ie, jmv correlating it with 'whales singing')

no one likes my ambient songs ;o;

burzumfan420

Daddy

Samus Aran

i just plain don't really play music loud enough for other people to hear, because i know most people won't like it

Hiro

Quote from: Fandango on September 09, 2010, 05:50:31 PM
No! If you pick and choose the right songs, they're the perfect band to get people excited and stoked and then you whip out the Pod and God Ween Satan and crush their minds with the delectably mushy musical sludge that only dean and gene can bring. Do you have all their albums? Do you want to talk about Ween because I haven't talked about them for ages and they're probably my favorite band.

But I've gotten to the point where I completely dont really give a shit when I play something weird or obscure. I enjoy explaining what it is and why its good.

But, there was one time when I was on the porch with some friends and the fucking Hot toddies came on and I had to kind of push things along.

Most people I know wouldn't appreciate Ween at all.  baddood;
Sadly I only have one full Ween album and a couple other random songs. ;_; I do plan on getting them all though. Ween is awesome.
I dunno I guess we could talk about Ween but I don't know what exactly I'd have to say. I already know they're your favorite band though.  :3

I don't care if others don't like my music, but with the bands I listed it just makes things awkward when I play them for others.

[hedy]Zidone

Prog rock and most of my "electronic" shit, the latter because of "ELEKTRONIC? LOL ITS JUST TEKNO" akudood;

also stuff like the residents and captain beefheart because i kind of want people to think i'm not "weird"

burzumfan420

Quote from: Hïro on September 10, 2010, 12:16:58 AM
Most people I know wouldn't appreciate Ween at all.  baddood;
Sadly I only have one full Ween album and a couple other random songs. ;_; I do plan on getting them all though. Ween is awesome.
I dunno I guess we could talk about Ween but I don't know what exactly I'd have to say. I already know they're your favorite band though.  :3

I don't care if others don't like my music, but with the bands I listed it just makes things awkward when I play them for others.

i met mickey ween @ some rich dad's house in new hope b4 it was p cool.

ween's ok though, all college stoners dig it.

hobbit

Quote from: steal on September 09, 2010, 05:59:04 PM
I'm not ashamed of anything I listen to.

Why would you be ashamed of Sigur Ros and the Flashbulb? They make beautiful music. Although I'm not a huge fan of sigur ros.
because they're pretty abstract and most people don't like that stuff they just want to listen to lil wayne or 3oh3 or whoever is popular.

strongbad

Quote from: Hïro on September 09, 2010, 05:19:31 PM
The Mars Volta  akudood;
Also Caesars, Mando Diao, Dr Dog, Ween, and M83.

Some M83 songs are awesome for people. I've got a lot of my friends into them just by playing Don't Save Us From the Flames.

Samus Aran

i love m83 but a lot of m83 songs are for some reason mastered way too loudly, so that when i've got a shuffle of songs on, and suddenly m83 comes on, it's WAY too fucking loud compared to everything else i have

Andria

Quote from: Lain on September 11, 2010, 04:18:17 PM
i love m83 but a lot of m83 songs are for some reason mastered way too loudly, so that when i've got a shuffle of songs on, and suddenly m83 comes on, it's WAY too fucking loud compared to everything else i have

I HATE when that happens.... especially in public. You're just listening to music and it gets way too loud and you like jump and people think you're crazy.  akudood;

Patrick Stickles

well i mean mostly everything

my roommates can't take singers that have slightly off voices, like that of patrick stickles or adam stephens

ALSO HOLY SHIT I DIDNT REALIZE IT BUT ADAM STEPHENS IS PLAYING WITH PATRICK STICKLES IN POUGHKEEPSIE WITH THE FELICE BROTHERS

holy fuck

oh my god
What the fuck was it for anyway?

Go Up