September 12, 2024, 03:38:32 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Tool vs. The Mars Volta

Started by snorkel, August 29, 2010, 08:55:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

WHO IS BETTER????

TMV
5 (33.3%)
Tool
5 (33.3%)
I dislike both
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Go Down

snorkel

Progressive rock is unequivocally one of the most real genres of modern music. The Mars Volta and Tool have both accomplished insane things for it, as I'm sure many of you will agree... and the question is, WHICH DO YOU LIKE MORE?

The score seems pretty even. Both have incredible earlier albums and lesser recent releases. Tool is slightly more refined musically, but TMV is more versatile. Tool has Danny Carey, TMV has Omar, arguably the driving force of each. Good album art and excellent themes (sarcophagi and parabolas) all around.

Tool could win on the weight of Lateralus alone, but TMV could win on De-Loused in the Comatorium alone.

MY DECISION: The Mars Volta, by a narrow margin, because Tool doesn't have an equivalent of Cassandra Gemini.

(I know there are other comparable bands, these two are just my favorites)

[img]http://api.ning.com/files/tz8F6AGMNh3mciZXRRb*GGppm7jQEg0BHB3UsLEm9ykH4dgPiVIKyarUU-8htDCVbOQ4tqCn5D16ZFGkBd9dCAePFJ28UW15/lateralus.jpg[/img]

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GI6cxmWHL.jpg[/img]

Commander Fuckass

I've been straying from both bands lately, but Im going to have to say Tool because some Songs by TMV make me want to rip my ears out  akudood;

Also on a side note I like A Perfect Circle more than Tool  >_<'
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

snorkel

Quote from: Crispix on August 29, 2010, 09:05:46 PM
Also on a side note I like A Perfect Circle more than Tool  >_<'

No

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Samus Aran

The Mars Volta. Then again, I'm not even very well-acquainted with Tool. Not that I have a lot of Mars Volta either, but I know them a lot better than Tool.

Of course, I like Porcupine Tree more than both of them when it comes to progressive rock, and Tool is kinda progressive metal too, and there are bands I like more than Tool for that genre as well, like Mastodon.

Only mentioning modern/semi-modern bands of course. It'd be unfair to bring the kings of prog into this.

Geno

Quote from: Lain on August 29, 2010, 11:56:38 PM
The Mars Volta. Then again, I'm not even very well-acquainted with Tool. Not that I have a lot of Mars Volta either, but I know them a lot better than Tool.

Of course, I like Porcupine Tree more than both of them when it comes to progressive rock, and Tool is kinda progressive metal too, and there are bands I like more than Tool for that genre as well, like Mastodon.

Only mentioning modern/semi-modern bands of course. It'd be unfair to bring the kings of prog into this.
This is the opposite for me. I listen to alot of tool but not very much TMV

Also alot of porcupine tree songs sound alot like Tool. Whenever I play Strip the Soul in my car someone ALWAYS has to fucking say "IS THIS TOOL BRAH?"
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Selkie

I find Tool's style and sound incredibly boring to be honest.

So The Mars Volta by a long shot

Mando Pandango

I'm not too familiar with either's work, but I've enjoyed what I've heard from both. The Mars Volta more so, but I think that's because Tool's dark, heavy sound doesn't really appeal to me personally. Carey and Keenan are both ridiculously talented, though.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Geno

Also am I the only one who thinks Lateralus is extremely overrated and the weakest tool album?
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Geno

Also Tool puts on the best live shows in the fucking world.

snorkel

Quote from: GENOP on August 30, 2010, 08:15:53 PM
Also Tool puts on the best live shows in the fucking world.

Yes compared to TMV's hit-or-miss

Quote from: GENOP on August 30, 2010, 06:09:36 PM
Also am I the only one who thinks Lateralus is extremely overrated and the weakest tool album?

I think it's by far the most well-executed conceptually, it's as fun to listen to as Frances the Mute.

Hiro

I don't like Tool. akudood;

The Mars Volta is great, and Deloused is fucking godly. THE POWER OF GOD

[hedy]Zidone

The Mars Volta, but I've actually heard very little Tool as I've pretty much avoided anything prog metal and Tool specifically due to the fanbase. akudood;

Quote from: Lain on August 29, 2010, 11:56:38 PM
kings of prog

like who

burzumfan420

cheap trick, art bears, sex pistols, beatles

you know the old stuff

[hedy]Zidone

Quote from: burzumfan420 on September 03, 2010, 02:39:23 PM
cheap trick, art bears, sex pistols, beatles

you know the old stuff

One of these things is not like the others.

Go Up