September 12, 2024, 03:42:47 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

e-book readers

Started by snorkel, August 20, 2010, 05:44:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snorkel

Does anyone own one? What is your opinion of them?

I personally can't be bothered to read a book off a screen, even e-ink screens, it's just not a book. There is something about turning the pages and feeling yourself get through the book and adjusting the way you hold it so that there's no shadow in the center, leaving notes and folding pages for reference, and placing volumes next to each other that makes a physical copy much more desirable to me, especially when e-books are usually more expensive than a used hard copy.

Andria

I have a nook. I like it on an equal level as a real book. It took a bit of getting used to but when I finally did it was awesome since I can have so many books and instantly hop to the page of any book I want. The screen is nice and imo at least gives off the whole page vibe.

I still can't/won't read a book off of my computer screen though. That is really hard for me for some reason.

strongbad

I agree with snorkel on pretty much every point. I do want one almost exclusively for graphic novels though.

ME##

I like physical books, much for the same reasons as Snorkel.  E-book readers don't have much appeal for me.

spaceman

Same sentiments, snorkel.

I wouldn't mind getting a nook or something, and seeing as the price is expected to drop to $99 for the holidays, I might jump at that, but I'll continue to mostly read physical books. I just love having them up there on my shelf and being able to hold the book and feel the paper and turn the pages.

The only attraction that this has is that it won't take up as much space in my bag and I can have tons of books with me, and the fact that I usually read books in bed, which the whole 'turning the pages/holding the book/right lighting' thing can make annoying.

Nyerp

doing anything while having easy access to the world wide webbernet is hard for me awdood;

also if i can't easily read it in bed before i fall asleep then i'm not going to

speaking of that, this chemistry textbook

it's a binder doodthing;

Go Up