September 12, 2024, 03:46:15 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Two bands I've been obsessed with lately

Started by Samus Aran, August 18, 2010, 04:28:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

August 18, 2010, 04:28:48 PM Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:34:00 PM by Lain
These bands aren't totally unknown or anything, but I never see more than maybe one other user mention them around here on Boyah. Like I did with Mew about half a year ago, I'd like to encourage you guys to try these groups.

1.) Deerhunter. I've seen "shoegaze" brought up on Boyah a lot, several times by me, even, but I never see this particular band mentioned in these discussions. Granted, they're only shoegazey sometimes, but still. At other times, they're simple indie rock, and still other times they are noise rock, or ambient, or whatever they feel like being at the time, but it's all still a cohesive, signature sound. I know several of you would appreciate them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oup-m8Hxx4Y[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHGIf0FB-48[/youtube]

2.) Death From Above 1979. Anyone who downloaded Pqqu's music pack a while back should have one song by these guys. At least I think it was Pqqu's. Might have been Hiro's. This duo fits a weird sort of mix of genres - dance, alternative rock, and punk. Best listened to instead of being explained. They only have one studio album, and they've since broken up...but that one album is fantastic. The majority of the album features only drums, bass, and the occasional synth. No guitars whatsoever.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtBcEo7rK0[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qofA8N3xSUQ[/youtube]

Andria

I love shoegazey stuff and I love love love Deerhunter.  giggle; I saw them live a few weeks ago and it was great. They are really loud live and the vocals are so perfectly blended with everything else.

Seriously though if anyone hasn't listened to them yet check them out like he suggested!!

snorkel

Yes I love Agoraphobia especially, and all of Microcastle... should listen to that more often. I'd be hesitant to call them 'shoegaze' just because that genre is specifically Slowdive, MBV, etc to me, but they do draw on the shoegaze-y sound to great effect

DFA 1979 is one of my old favorites, Romantic Rights has some good remixes, I know I've used this one before:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgm_GWv_vdw[/youtube]

Placebo Headwound

I thought everyone knew Death From Above 1979 by now. baddood;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Placebo Headwound on August 18, 2010, 06:24:35 PM
I thought everyone knew Death From Above 1979 by now. baddood;

i never see any boyagers listening to them here or on last.fm

either way, listen to Deerhunter :|

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Lain on August 18, 2010, 07:07:34 PM

either way, listen to Deerhunter :|
Shit, I have like 600 plays of them on Last.FM. baddood;

Also, I have Weird Era Cont. and I didn't really like it too much.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Placebo Headwound on August 18, 2010, 07:26:27 PM
Shit, I have like 600 plays of them on Last.FM. baddood;

Also, I have Weird Era Cont. and I didn't really like it too much.

i have weird era as well, because it came with microcastle, but i have yet to give it any sort of dedicated listen

microcastle is much better, but i at least still like weird era

Geno

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

spaceman

Quote from: Lain on August 18, 2010, 07:07:34 PM

I have many plays from Deerhunter, DFA1979, and Atlas Sound on last.fm  giggle;

YPrrrr

I feel special for knowing about deerhunter long before kaz cluckjmvdoods;

Daddy

if you like deerhunter listen to atlas sound because of bradford cox

and dfa1979 was always on /mu/ baddood;

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPR on August 19, 2010, 09:00:51 PM
I feel special for knowing about deerhunter long before kaz cluckjmvdoods;

i've known about them for about a year, but only just recently started really listening to them

YPrrrr

Quote from: Lain on August 19, 2010, 10:02:26 PM
i've known about them for about a year, but only just recently started really listening to them
I've known about them since Nsider was open n_u

[spoiler]Not that it's a contest girl;[/spoiler]

Geno

I've actually known about DFA1979 since like 2004. My uncle loved them and I think he saw them a couple of times too.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

??????

I liked Deerhunter's Microcastle--two songs from them specifically: Cover Me (Slowly) and Agoraphobia. I didn't give much of a listen to their Weird Era Continued album because Turn It Up Faggot turned me completely off. They're pretty okay I suppose, nothing too spectacular.

I'm not a fan of DFA1979--their remixes are somewhat decent (Alan Braxe's remix being very good).  akudood;

Go Up