September 12, 2024, 03:46:59 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

How do I make this work? (Pqqu)

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, August 17, 2010, 10:43:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I cant find a decent set-up for recording acoustic instruments, primarily my autoharp which I need to use as an ambient backer to a song I'm working with.

Regardless, I need to finally (slightly(because school tuition fees are close)) invest in a mediocre instrument mic that can produce some moderately tolerable results. I had a decent  shure piece a while back that I used as my default, but during our last session, my friend didn't latch the case it was in and it fell out into the rain and hasn't functioned at its former capacity since.

Fucker.

But, I dont really know where to go.  I have a tiny music store near me that has one of these left and the owner swears by it, but I've had shitty experience with Behringer in the past.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-B1-LargeDiaphragm-Cardioid-Condenser-Mic?sku=270405

Under a hundred dollars though.

Plus, is there such a thing as an XLR to 1/8" converter or cable, because my mixer is fried and it would save me a bit of running around until I can afford a new one.

I'm planning on throwing some pickups onto my harp in the future.

P.S.- Any good cheap mixers out there either???

snorkel

You should be able to find a cheap 8-track mixer on Craigslist, they seem to be pretty readily available.

XLR-3.5mm converters are common, look in any music store (although I would get XLR to 1/4" and then 1/4" to 3.5mm, gives you more versatility and I bet you'll need XLR-1/4" a lot more in the future, like with the mediocre mixer you get which will likely not have XLR)

I've used condenser mics a lot shittier than that for sax recording, which is fairly difficult to do well, and the results were tolerable. Just look at reviews

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Yep, I've already got an XLR to 1/4" lying around. Checked out the local dig today and found a converter but I held off on the mic for now. Next paycheck.

Go Up