September 12, 2024, 03:59:35 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Graphic Novels

Started by strongbad, August 06, 2010, 12:24:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

So I was chillin' with a friend of mine yesterday and he was telling me about how he'd been into graphic novels a lot and I read a few pages and they seem really cool.

So yeah any good suggestions as to where to start? My friend was really into "Y: The last man" or something like that. I think I'll check out the V for Vendetta one, the Watchmen one, and the Scott Pilgrim series.

Also any good trackers for Graphic Novels? There are a few on what.cd bud I don't want to hurt my ratio with these large files yah know?

Thyme

i got y: the last man on bookchan lol 5thgrade;

It's great.

strongbad

BUMP BECAUSE I NOW OWN
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Y the Last Man Part 1
The Walking Dead

I FUCKIN' LOVE THESE

spaceman

Everything Alan Moore has ever had a hand in making.

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

strongbad

Quote from: Saren Arterius on August 21, 2010, 03:18:42 PM
The Walking Dead

Dude I got the first issue of that (like I just mentioned) and it's fucking sick. Definitely going to read the entirety of the series. I'm so glad that the author is going to continue writing them until forever because they are sick.

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Strongbob on August 22, 2010, 01:29:35 AM
Dude I got the first issue of that (like I just mentioned) and it's fucking sick. Definitely going to read the entirety of the series. I'm so glad that the author is going to continue writing them until forever because they are sick.
Just wait  n_u

strongbad

Quote from: Saren Arterius on August 26, 2010, 06:10:21 PM
Just wait  n_u

Just read the first two
NOW DOWNLOADING ISSUES 1-28 THESE ARE FUCKIN SICK

Hiro

Commander Fuckass

August 27, 2010, 09:17:57 AM #9 Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:40:21 AM by Saren Arterius
Quote from: Strongbob on August 26, 2010, 09:22:24 PM
Just read the first two
NOW DOWNLOADING ISSUES 1-28 THESE ARE FUCKIN SICK
n_u I love the series.

I have almost all of them up to #76, missing a few through the 70 issues though (71, 74)
Also : [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1v0uFms68U&feature=fvst[/youtube]

crystalpepsi

Quote from: Noble 6 on August 27, 2010, 09:17:57 AM
n_u I love the series.

I have almost all of them up to #76, missing a few through the 70 issues though (71, 74)
Also : [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1v0uFms68U&feature=fvst[/youtube]
I have been waiting for that since the first announcement, it will be the best show on TV.  giggle;

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: WTFRAWL on September 21, 2010, 08:25:44 AM
I have been waiting for that since the first announcement, it will be the best show on TV.  giggle;
It's on AMC too  giggle; the best station on TV

Classic

September 24, 2010, 11:15:27 AM #12 Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:20:59 AM by 鉄腕アトム
I LOVE Osamu Tezuka's graphic novels...well, I know they are manga but still. 5thgrade;

These are two that I just ordered.

"Amidst the chaos of World War II, two Japanese soldiers hear of Zephyrus, an utterly captivating woman rumored to exist on an island in the South Pacific. The tales of this bold enchantress seducing men to their dooms are both chilling and fascinating. Over twenty years pass, and Zephyrus resurfaces in Japan, seemingly unchanged, to wield her mysterious power over men once more.

The one man immune to Zephyrus' charms is simple drunkard, Gohonmatsu Seki, son of one of the wartime soldiers. Employed to spy on Zephyrus, what will Gohonmatsu uncover about her ultimate plot to create international discord and consume the world of men? What brought this woman to conspire for decades against patriarchal society-against an entire gender-and can anything be done to stop her plans? "
And apparently this story is like TinTin on acid. 5thgrade;

"Long considered as one of Osamu Tezukaâ,,,s most political narratives, Ayako is also considered to be one of his most challenging as it defies the conventions of his manga by utilizing a completely original cast and relying solely on historical drama to drive the plot.  Ayako, pulls no punches, and does not allow for gimmicks as science-fiction or fantasy may.  Instead Tezuka weaves together a tale which its core simply focuses on a single family, a family that could be considered a metaphor for a rapidly developing superpower.

Overflowing with imagery of the cold war seen through Japanâ,,,s eyes, Ayako is firmly set in realism taking inspiration from a number of historical events that occurred over the American occupation and the cultural-revolution which soon followed. Believed to be Tezukaâ,,,s answer to the gekiga (dramatic comics) movement of the 60â,,,s, Ayako should be considered one of the better early examples of a seinen (young adult) narrative to be published.

Initially set in the aftermath of World War II, Ayako focuses its attention on the Tenge clan, a once powerful family of landowners living in a rural community in northern Japan.  From the moment readers are introduced to the extended family, it is apparent that the war and American occupation have begun to erode the fabric that binds them all together.  The increasing influence of political, economic and social change begins to tear into the many Tenge siblings, while a strange marriage agreement creates resentment between the eldest son and his sire.  And when the family seems to have completely fallen apart, they decide to turn their collective rage on what they believe to be the source of their troublesâ,”the newest member of the Tenge family, the youngest sister Ayako. "

I love Tezuka's works because they're awesome to read. And he was such a wide author. Someone who can make family entertainment like Astro Boy then go on to write things like these along with MW and Ode to Kirihito. Amazing. <3

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: 鉄腕アã'ˆã'  on September 24, 2010, 11:15:27 AM
I LOVE Osamu Tezuka's graphic novels...well, I know they are manga but still. 5thgrade;

These are two that I just ordered.

"Amidst the chaos of World War II, two Japanese soldiers hear of Zephyrus, an utterly captivating woman rumored to exist on an island in the South Pacific. The tales of this bold enchantress seducing men to their dooms are both chilling and fascinating. Over twenty years pass, and Zephyrus resurfaces in Japan, seemingly unchanged, to wield her mysterious power over men once more.

The one man immune to Zephyrus' charms is simple drunkard, Gohonmatsu Seki, son of one of the wartime soldiers. Employed to spy on Zephyrus, what will Gohonmatsu uncover about her ultimate plot to create international discord and consume the world of men? What brought this woman to conspire for decades against patriarchal society-against an entire gender-and can anything be done to stop her plans? "
And apparently this story is like TinTin on acid. 5thgrade;

"Long considered as one of Osamu Tezukaâ,,,s most political narratives, Ayako is also considered to be one of his most challenging as it defies the conventions of his manga by utilizing a completely original cast and relying solely on historical drama to drive the plot.  Ayako, pulls no punches, and does not allow for gimmicks as science-fiction or fantasy may.  Instead Tezuka weaves together a tale which its core simply focuses on a single family, a family that could be considered a metaphor for a rapidly developing superpower.

Overflowing with imagery of the cold war seen through Japanâ,,,s eyes, Ayako is firmly set in realism taking inspiration from a number of historical events that occurred over the American occupation and the cultural-revolution which soon followed. Believed to be Tezukaâ,,,s answer to the gekiga (dramatic comics) movement of the 60â,,,s, Ayako should be considered one of the better early examples of a seinen (young adult) narrative to be published.

Initially set in the aftermath of World War II, Ayako focuses its attention on the Tenge clan, a once powerful family of landowners living in a rural community in northern Japan.  From the moment readers are introduced to the extended family, it is apparent that the war and American occupation have begun to erode the fabric that binds them all together.  The increasing influence of political, economic and social change begins to tear into the many Tenge siblings, while a strange marriage agreement creates resentment between the eldest son and his sire.  And when the family seems to have completely fallen apart, they decide to turn their collective rage on what they believe to be the source of their troublesâ,”the newest member of the Tenge family, the youngest sister Ayako. "

I love Tezuka's works because they're awesome to read. And he was such a wide author. Someone who can make family entertainment like Astro Boy then go on to write things like these along with MW and Ode to Kirihito. Amazing. <3
take your jap shit out of here and leave |:

me003

The only graphic novel I have read is Sentences: The life of MF Grimm. Which is a graphic novel about the rapper MF Grimm's real life, and just a story of...well it's humorous while being very real. Best thing I read in a while, but I had already known about MF Grimm, so I was interested in it.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Go Up