September 12, 2024, 03:42:08 AM

1,531,311 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Roots: Why they're the best group ever.

Started by Hippo, July 21, 2010, 12:45:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hippo

Okay, so everyone knows hip-hop sucks nowadays, with Drake, Lil Wayne, and all that faggoty bullshit polluting the air waves.  Needless to say, The Roots are a breath of fresh air in the Hip-Hop industry, especially in a time like this.  The following is a list composed by someone who grew up in Philly, on why The Roots are the Greatest thing to happen to Hip-Hop.

• They actually have lyrics with a meaning. They mostly carry an uplifting message, unlike the all too common "Fuck bitches get money" message carried by most of the mainstream rappers.

• They have live instrumentals. I cannot tell you HOW FUCKING SICK I AM OF HEARING THE SAME GENERIC BEATS IN EVERY GOD DAMN SONG ON THE RADIO. HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK, IF GARAGE BAND IS ALL IT TAKES TO PRODUCE A SONG THEN MOTHERFUCKER I AM DR.DRE.

• In conjunction with the above: ?uestlove

• The guests they have on their albums don't suck ass. (see: Mos Def, Blu, etc)

• They put on an absolutely ill show. Every single show I've been to has been amazing, and the guys are actually really nice people (I've had the pleasure to talk to both Black Thought, as well as ?uestlove)

I could go on for hours, but holy shit people. If you've never listened to The Roots, I don't know what you're doing with your life.

KonohaShinobi

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I LOVE YOU SO MUCH

How I Got Over and Game Theory and Things Fall Apart on repeat all fucking day!

Andrew1911

thank god someone is supporting the roots

god only knows when they'll finally be discovered by a label and stop living in filth

only their dozens of fans can support them through this dark time

Hippo

Quote from: Andrew1911 on July 21, 2010, 08:20:39 PM

god only knows when they'll finally be discovered by a label and stop living in filth

your internet sarcasm isn't needed sir.

spaceman

Quote from: Andrew1911 on July 21, 2010, 08:20:39 PM

Swift

after i'm gone your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satelites, and that's how it's going to be.

Indigo

Drake is great, but the roots are better.

Lil Wayne is okay for funny party music

How I Got Over is a ace album, as is Illadelph Highlife

strongbad

I've never listened to them. What album should I start with?

Indigo

Quote from: Strongbab on July 24, 2010, 06:35:13 PM
I've never listened to them. What album should I start with?
the new one, then Things Fall Apart. Two very different styles. Phrenoloogy is a good one too

snorkel

How I Got Over is impressive, I finally picked it up.

Meyer Lansky

I've always been more partial to OutKast.  And I would even say the Wu is a better rap group than The Roots.

They are certainly appreciated, though.

rdl

They're pretty good, finally my musical tastes get to expand a little, thank you sir.

Go Up