August 20, 2024, 08:11:50 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

people who play instruments

Started by snorkel, June 28, 2010, 11:36:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snorkel

Do you notice that you can play absent-mindedly but very competently with your hands/mouth/whatever while thinking about random things? (I'm saying be thinking seriously about something and playing the instrument simultaneously)

I can feel a different process happening when I am feeling my fingers on the keys and aiming for the next progression/phrase in my head, and figuring out the timing, but then I can do this automatically as I stop thinking about the notes and consider things on my mind. For instance, if a jazz-ready beat is playing, I often find myself thinking more about the mechanics of how I'm playing than the notes themselves, and the inspiration for particular, often complex patterns (right now I'm just doing jazz/rock solos by myself) just starts flowing from someplace unobstructed.

I'm on mephedrone that's why I felt the need to express this

Selkie

I play guitar, and sometimes that happens, yea.

It's kinda like daydreaming while driving. You eventually go off in your mind for like 10 minutes, then you come beck to reality, and you're like "holy shit how the fuck did I continue to drive for those 10 minutes...."

snorkel

Quote from: Selkie on June 29, 2010, 07:56:48 AM

It's kinda like daydreaming while driving. You eventually go off in your mind for like 10 minutes, then you come beck to reality, and you're like "holy shit how the fuck did I continue to drive for those 10 minutes...."

yes, something like that

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Occasionally when I'm just tooling around or trying to slide into some kind of deeper groove I'll sort of fly low on autopilot and let my hands talk. Once I find that niche, though, I let it ride and dedicate my whole mindset to the sound I'm making and sort of put the mechanical side of things on the back-burner for the other half of my head to decipher. Obviously it's different in a setting where you have an audience.

I'm severely hung-over and still slightly high. That's why I feel the need to express this. 

strongbad

Quote from: Selkie on June 29, 2010, 07:56:48 AM

Man that is such a crazy feeling. I was driving on the freeway for about two hours the other day, and I daydreamed for about 10 exits and when I realized that I was driving I was like what the fuck how am I still alive.

Travis

i can't really improvise for shit if that's what you mean

ahshshj

i play guitar i understand exactly what you mean

the shortest route to the sea

I write most of my stuff on piano when I close my eyes and start attacking the keys...hand position, intervals, and repetition start to matter a lot more than beat, key, melody. It's not exactly the same, but it is something I'd like to try high.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Houdini

As someone who plays in bands on a regular basis, I spend more time thinking about my favorite flavor of smoothie than the music I'm playing.

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Houdini on July 04, 2010, 10:04:14 PM
As someone who plays in bands on a regular basis, I spend more time thinking about my favorite flavor of smoothie than the music I'm playing.

Well?

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Socks

Quote from: Houdini on July 04, 2010, 10:04:14 PM

Explains your popularity.

burzumfan420

I often day dream while playing, even  on stage. I usually play better i think

Go Up