This is longer than it needs to be and isn't anything very interesting.

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, June 18, 2010, 11:29:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Nothing kills a mildly contented feeling at work like some raging asshole who thinks his potential buying power somehow warrants him to treat employees like a pile of crap. Normally I'd let the experience slide right off my back, but today I sort of didn't.

Working in retail in any position opens up some wide possibilities of encounters with some individuals you might not associate yourself with normally. I've seen the gamut of these personalities and I tend to roll with the potential punches and enjoy the encounters with those who genuinely appreciate my help.

So today some prick comes flying in with a rusty pickup truck to collect an order he had made some weeks ago. This particular order had taken some time longer to arrive than expected. Short burly guy gets out and I can already tell he's going to be one of those difficult ones. I put on my concerned employee face and say hello and go through the motions and he hands me his ticket without a word. I punch his collection number into the computer and it says his order is still in transit. It's not here.

The guy gets instantly irate, shooting every kind of verbal bullet towards me, as if I'm the one who's holding the delivery truck up. This goes on as I offer him to speak with my manager. He continues to vent his incredible amount of rage onto my person as I radio my manager and ask him to relax.

But he doesn't stop as we're sitting there, waiting for my higher up to arrive. I ask him to settle down, to relax, insisting his demeanor is entirely unncessesary, but that only eggs him on. And then I gave in. I started returning fire on the bastard which was exactly what he was looking for. When my manager arrived, the first thing the prick said was that I was verbally harassing him, that I was the reason for his strained attitude.

So then my manager basically tells him to fuck off asks him to leave, and he does.

The end.

But really, I dont understand how people have such non-existent fucking decency
jackodood;

rdl

i didnt read it, but i did catch the part about lacking decency, and it reminded me of how sometimes my dad will accidentally spit in my food.

i hate it.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Martin

It's a rare thing to find people with even the faintest sign of decency. Every day I set my standards for others as low as possible without reaching the "I'm-going-to-assume-you-will-do-everything-wrong" state, but every day people fail to live up to them. I'm sure as I mature I will learn that it really doesn't matter, but right now it just feels depressing.

Selkie

Being a bus boy for a couple years made me realize how fucking terrible it is to work in the dining industry.

I just don't fucking get the concept of people being waited on at their beck and call and others running around crazily trying to please them.

Like, most people that go to the restaurant need EVERYTHING fucking PERFECT. And if it's not perfect, they complain, and say make it quick and shit. And if we dare say anything back to them they will get us fired instantly.

I just don't understand the concept.

Andria

There are people in my family who react like that. I just hang my head in shame cause really I don't think it is that big of a deal. People make mistakes all the time so there is no reason to freak out and yell at someone.

Sadly most people lack decency though cause everyone feels so entitled to everything.  :(

Martin

Quote from: Techo 1/2 on June 19, 2010, 01:00:41 PM
There are people in my family who react like that. I just hang my head in shame cause really I don't think it is that big of a deal. People make mistakes all the time so there is no reason to freak out and yell at someone.

Sadly most people lack decency though cause everyone feels so entitled to everything:(
You can't imagine how many people demand my mother, a professional photographer, give them prints for free.

??????

Quote from: M_W on June 19, 2010, 02:40:36 PM
You can't imagine how many people demand my mother, a professional photographer, give them prints for free.
It is why you hinder your creativity and keep it for those who matter.  akudood;

spaceman

People are fucking assholes.   baddood;

These type of people see those who work in a service industry (retail, food, etc.) as working for them, and think they're below them and it gives them the right to treat others like shit.

BlackDS

You should have shot him in the face with a shotgun. You wouldn't go to jail.

[move]philip;[/move]

Martin

Quote from: fluxus on June 19, 2010, 03:23:04 PM
People are fucking assholes.   baddood;

These type of people see those who work in a service industry (retail, food, etc.) as working for them, and think they're below them and it gives them the right to treat others like shit.
A friend of mine once told me, "You have no reason to treat a server like shit. Your job may suck less, but chances are your job still sucks"

Go Up