July 08, 2024, 09:16:10 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

As embarrassing as it is to admit it...

Started by Samus Aran, May 29, 2010, 10:19:59 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

I don't own Doom in any form. I played it on a friends computer a very, very long time ago, but only very briefly. It's one of those games that seems to be part of everyone's early PC gaming life, and a lot of people also played some of the tons and tons of different console ports of it. But not me.

But...how should I go about playing it, in its fullest, "best" version? I don't mind that there are some console-only levels I'll probably be missing. But keep in mind I'm using Mac OS X. I can get on my PC if need be, but I'd kinda rather not. It's a piece of junk.

I've considered getting the XBLA port sometime, but I know that Doom was originally shareware so I'd like to get it for free if possible.

Andria

That isn't that embarrassing. Beyond playing doom on my ipod for a few minutes I haven't played it either.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Techo 1/2 on May 29, 2010, 10:24:07 PM
That isn't that embarrassing. Beyond playing doom on my ipod for a few minutes I haven't played it either.

It is for me because I'm a game collector, particularly when it comes to older games. It's just weird that Doom, a game that is practically public knowledge even today, is not in my collection.

FAMY2

I think I have a Doom collection around here somewhere. doodthing;

Nyerp

who cares that you haven't played a video game?

Thyme

Eh, it's never really caught my interest either, to be honest.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on May 30, 2010, 08:50:32 AM
who cares that you haven't played a video game?

I do. Stupid question. Next?

Cookie

Samus Aran

StarPilot

Quote from: Lain on May 29, 2010, 10:19:59 PM
I can get on my PC if need be, but I'd kinda rather not. It's a piece of junk.
Unless it's older than Doom itself, it should run fine. The game is what, 640 by 480 resolution?

Samus Aran

Quote from: StarPilot on May 30, 2010, 12:05:10 PM
Unless it's older than Doom itself, it should run fine. The game is what, 640 by 480 resolution?

No, it's not that it wouldn't run because of spec problems. It's just a really worn out computer. The fan doesn't work properly and makes tons of noise, it's slow as hell for some reason as well as buggy, etc.

strongbad

I've only played the Chex Mix Doom mod lol

Nyerp

Quote from: Lain on May 30, 2010, 11:19:18 AM
I do. Stupid question. Next?

why do you care about playing a game just because "everyone else" has already played it? are you even sure if you'd enjoy it?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nyerp on May 30, 2010, 01:02:50 PM
why do you care about playing a game just because "everyone else" has already played it? are you even sure if you'd enjoy it?

It's not really because everyone has played it. It's just weird not to have such a popular game in my collection. Notice how, a couple posts up, I mentioned that I consider myself a collector.

And, uh, I'm not the kind of person that only plays games that I'm "sure" I'd enjoy. I'm not that ignorant and close-minded of new possibilities. But actually, I like old FPS games, and I did play Doom briefly a very long time ago, and liked it then. Why wouldn't I like it now? Even if I'm not sure, why would I just turn away from it? I'll try anything once.

C.Mongler

Doom kind of sucks now compared to everything else honestly. I wouldn't even find it worthwhile. Just acknowledge that Doom exists, and that its pretty much responsible for the existence of the FPS. Thats it.

Go Up