August 20, 2024, 07:44:04 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

If you could recommend ONE album...

Started by Selkie, May 28, 2010, 08:08:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

That defines great music to you, that you would give to an alien that just arrived on planet Earth, that you would give to someone before they were cast out to an island for eternity, that you would give someone who is dying and has never heard music before, what would it be?

An album that you think is a perfect balance of emotion, beauty, and power.

I ask this to spark good conversation, but also because I really need just a great album to download. I crave new music.

I'm not looking for something off "Time's top 500 Albums of All Time", or a Pitchfork year in music article. Just your raw opinion.

To start off, mine would be Jeff Buckley's 'Grace'

Geno

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Travis

it's impossible to give you a single album that "defines great music" for me. i can listen to and enjoy just about any genre you throw at me, and they all convey different emotions

the shortest route to the sea

I'd give them a two disc set of a modernist pianist performing Bach's Well-Tempered Klavier. It has to be modern, someone who can play it better than a robot, otherwise it feels like dead music. But there's so much there.

Or, um, Funeral.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

snorkel

Demon Days by Gorillaz or De-Loused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta both mean perfect, emotional, powerful, amazing music to me. Third pick would have to be... King Tubby's Declaration of Dub

Samus Aran

Abbey Road

cliche pick, maybe, but it really is the greatest album i've ever heard, even still

Andria

Cookie

Dullahan

Half These Songs Are About You - Nizlopi

spaceman

burzumfan420

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Socks

Quote from: Sheets are Swaying on May 30, 2010, 07:45:14 PM
Yeah....

I may not always love you, but long as there are stars above you, you never need to doubt it. I'll make you so sure about it. ;)

I would have to suggest a classical compilation album, aptly titled The 50 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music. For me, it has been the catalyst of numerous spiritual trips down musical lane. And it offers a great basic sample of the genre.

Sa Da MA

sans culottes

The Velvet Underground & Nico

Cliche like most of these, but true.
I support BUSH

Go Up