August 20, 2024, 06:40:01 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

New Arcade Fire singles.

Started by spaceman, May 26, 2010, 01:16:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

spaceman

May 26, 2010, 01:16:23 PM Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 01:24:13 PM by fluxus
"The Suburbs", and "Month of May"
http://onethirtybpm.com/2010/05/26/mp3-arcade-fire-the-suburbsmonth-of-may/

Month of May does not sound like the Arcade Fire I know. I still like it though. The Suburbs is very good.

Anyways new album out August 2nd.

YPrrrr

May 26, 2010, 01:40:47 PM #1 Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:45:53 PM by YPR
Yeahhhhh this is very different from the Arcade Fire I'm used to... I guess it's ok I suppose... nothing spectacular though

@ month of may

C.Mongler

i love it, haters gonna hate

Selkie

I much enjoy The Suburbs. Sounds like something straight off Funeral.

Not too big on Month of May, but maybe I will be after a few more listens.

the shortest route to the sea

Tracks is 404'd, got another sauce on it?

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

YPrrrr

There's always youtube if you want to listen pseudo;

Andria

Link works! Thank you!

Quote from: YPR on May 28, 2010, 09:53:52 AM
There's always youtube if you want to listen pseudo;

For some reason, that always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Like "video killed the radio star." And I don't have downloadhelper on chrome, so I can't conveniently right-click and save the file like I just did.  happydood;

May 30, 2010, 02:54:18 PM #8 Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:57:44 PM by Sheets are Swaying
[spoiler=Many Thoughts 49 Problems]The first thing that identifies The Suburbs as an AF song is the rolling saloon-style piano chords over the bass and drums, with maybe a distant wail of strings, in an airy sort of production style that you can't mistake from Neon Bible. More archetypes in the lyrics: suburbs, driving, mother, bombs, lost feelings, kids, family. And the suburbs! Didn't we spend a whole album on that one?

Stuff's different, though. In Funeral AF did all they could to show the reasons to paint and reject these suburbs, from the dysfunctional relationships to war and loneliness and lots of driving and water and leaving places. In coming back to this topic, though, we're breaking through the stark and wildly colorful funeral picture into something even stranger: the dead body of youth, after it left. We're exploring what Neon Bible seemed to have so strongly left behind, to travel into realms of political commentary and loss in an ocean of negative media influence.

Instead we're right into the memories, not the present or the future but the past.Moving in your mom's van, what Funeral implied is now facing us in The Suburbs: we can't escape this past, and even if the feelings go past the memories stay and kids are still screaming screaming screaming. Who knows what it means now. It was all about the childhood gestures of drawing lines between us and them, screaming and yelling, getting hard, and getting bored with it all. Did it mean anything? Ever? The loss of Funeral was the idea and meaning of youth, but surfacing from the hard-life torment of Neon Bible, they look back and the loss has mutated into something else. Something else. Something else. Still screaming.

That's exciting fucking territory to travel to. What excites me even more is that even though AF released the title track of the work, we know from Neon Bible that the title track is only an exposition, a quick look into what an album is doing. I'm not sure that there are musical frontiers here, but it reminds me most of a slowed-down verison of "Poupee de Cire / Poupee de Son" cover from the Split 7" with LCD Soundsystem. Maybe some of "Cold Wind," actually a whole lot of "Cold Wind." Usually Arcade Fire songs can be thought as pure crescendos from A to B, but with this cut the beat's always on the same, and what gets added is a bit more melancholy. The descending electric guitar, synth wails, and strings that lay suspended in the air crying out under the harsher electric bass and (really well done) drums. Acoustic guitar thoughout is a great touch, adding a folky touch. The piano always plays the same progression diatonically, but it morphs it into more spaces...the weirdo major turn earlier in the song becomes a morning pedal point, drilling drilling drilling already past already past. The song breaks maybe a lit of mold, but mostly it takes everything Arcade Fire has done so well and puts it into a 5 minute romp/funeral march. Maturity is here, and also a lot of confusion.[/spoiler]

Quote from: Sean on May 30, 2010, 11:14:15 AM
hipster dog like this!

Hey screw off, you.

Go Up