August 20, 2024, 06:26:37 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What great bands have you discovered recently

Started by strongbad, May 23, 2010, 01:44:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

only one more topic and i'll be done posting today  O_0

Anyways, I would say that my favorite bands I have discovered this year are Yeasayer, Cloud Cult, and The xx

Andria

I'm a very late adopter of Of Montreal but I love love love them and am going see them in concert in 8 days.

The xx is awesome too. I didn't like them at first but i was talked into giving the album another try and it was pretty awesome. In fact I am listening to them now.

Not as recent though I was introduced to Metric and Mew both of which became favorite bands as well.

strongbad

Quote from: Techo 1/2 on May 23, 2010, 01:47:22 PM
The xx is awesome too. I didn't like them at first but i was talked into giving the album another try and it was pretty awesome. In fact I am listening to them now.

Yeah I hadn't heard of them until a friend of mine dragged me to their concert but they were fucking awesome and I love them now. I love how young they are.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Techo 1/2 on May 23, 2010, 01:47:22 PM
Not as recent though I was introduced to Metric and Mew both of which became favorite bands as well.

Come on baby play me softly, like Here Comes the Sun. :3

But yeah Mew is still one of my favorites too and I wish more people here had taken my suggestion to listen to them.

Anyway, some bands I've discovered recently that are cool:

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Delta Spirit
Gomez
Travis
David Vandervelde
Oh No Ono

Also, some kickass older bands that I just recently started actually paying attention to:

Eagles of Death Metal
Kyuss
Melvins

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Lain on May 23, 2010, 03:08:39 PM
Come on baby play me softly, like Here Comes the Sun. :3

But yeah Mew is still one of my favorites too and I wish more people here had taken my suggestion to listen to them.

Anyway, some bands I've discovered recently that are cool:

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Delta Spirit
Gomez
Travis
David Vandervelde
Oh No Ono

Also, some kickass older bands that I just recently started actually paying attention to:

Eagles of Death Metal
Kyuss
Melvins
I've had this Gomez album sitting in my library for months now that I haven't gotten around to listening to. Also my local radio station has been playing "Home"" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, and it's pretty good. I should check out that album.

I haven't discovered anyone new that I really love lately. It's a shame.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

Quote from: Lain on May 23, 2010, 03:08:39 PM

I took your suggestion and I hated them at first, but now they are one of my favorites.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on May 23, 2010, 03:17:17 PM
I've had this Gomez album sitting in my library for months now that I haven't gotten around to listening to. Also my local radio station has been playing "Home"" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, and it's pretty good. I should check out that album.

I haven't discovered anyone new that I really love lately. It's a shame.

I've been addicted to "Janglin" by ES and the Magnetic Zeros, myself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvWatJ0BjrY[/youtube]

Quote from: StrongBad007 on May 23, 2010, 03:19:55 PM
I took your suggestion and I hated them at first, but now they are one of my favorites.

aw come on, how could you not immediately fall in love with that adorable voice giggle;

i still only have the album Frengers plus a few random other tunes since i really don't like pirating albums, i think i shall get another one of their albums when i go to record stores in CA this summer though

Mando Pandango

Oh, hey, just remembered. The other day I was like "Hey, I wonder what Michael Tapper is up to these days," so I checked, and I found this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es-SyYrpg2c[/youtube]

I thought it was pretty good. You guys might enjoy it.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

Quote from: Lain on May 23, 2010, 03:21:53 PM
aw come on, how could you not immediately fall in love with that adorable voice giggle;

i still only have the album Frengers plus a few random other tunes since i really don't like pirating albums, i think i shall get another one of their albums when i go to record stores in CA this summer though

Well when I first looked them up, I hadn't really branched out musically at all, so I was looking for more normal stuff.

But yeah Frengers is easily my favorite album of theirs, but I also love their latest one. I also had a chance to see them live but none of my friends wanted to go with me. I really regret not going alone, since I heard them live on the radio the next day as I was driving to school and they were amazing live.

snorkel

I second the xx, that album is excellent. I heard it last fall (when it came out but I didn't know) and thought it was some 90s thing I'd never heard, then did a double-take when I saw they're like 19 and it had just come out

as for new bands:

Tame Impala - great australian psychedelic rock group, their album Innerspeaker is going to be on my summer playlists for months to come

Scientist - certainly nothing new (old school dub-reggae in fact), but I just got Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires. Excellent shit, also perfect summer listening. It's got me pulling out King Tubby and Augustus Pablo and all the old dub masters, you forget how perfect it is after listening to breakbeat/dub-inspired stuff all day

The Hundred in the Hands - fucking hate the name, promising group with good female vocals though.

Geno

Children of Nova. I decided the download them off Rock Band Network and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.  giggle;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FYE2sqeo0[/youtube]
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Mando Pandango

Quote from: GENOP on May 23, 2010, 05:15:16 PM
Children of Nova. I decided the download them off Rock Band Network and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.  giggle;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1FYE2sqeo0[/youtube]
Ooh, yes, forgot about that. Complexity of Light is an excellent song. That's another album I've been meaning to pick up.

Samus Aran

I have a song by The xx and I don't think it's anything special so I didn't list them, lol. It's called "Basic Space."

Geno

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on May 23, 2010, 05:23:18 PM
Ooh, yes, forgot about that. Complexity of Light is an excellent song. That's another album I've been meaning to pick up.
Do it. Complexity of Light is probably my least favorite on the album and I love it  giggle;
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

YPrrrr

I like the xx, I wouldn't call them great but I definitely enjoy listening to them. Can't get into Mew at all, and I don't think I've heard anything else already mentioned.

Probably the only new band that I've been listening to a lot of late is Broken Bells

Go Up