October 04, 2024, 11:29:46 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Someone should make a vidya site like this but better

Started by Samus Aran, May 20, 2010, 06:31:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

There are certain sites out there that are similar to social networking sites, but based around a specific hobby. For example, last.fm, which most of you are familiar with, is basically social networking built around the music you enjoy, using a system that keeps track of what you listen to or like/dislike. A couple of you may be familiar with a site called "My Anime List," a site that allows one to build lists of anime and/or manga they've viewed/read, rate them, and engage in social networking based on those things.

Well, lately I started wondering if there was something like this for video games. There is, but it's not all that great, because you have to do a lot of it manually (there is no games database - you add names yourself and it's up to you to make sure they're correct, so people's lists will be slightly different) and there really isn't much activity there or any decent opportunities to expand the "social networking" aspect.

Anyway, it's called "The Backloggery." Here's my page, which has a couple games on it, to show what it looks like.

http://www.backloggery.com/kazberrykrunch

It's all right, upon first glance, until you realize how simplistic the system behind it is. Wouldn't it be swell if someone made a more genuine site in this style? It would be amazing if it worked just like "My Anime List." Lists, a database of known games to make sure your selections are correct, page shouts, profiles, reviews, "fan clubs" of sorts...just imagine it.

It makes me wish that I knew anything about designing such complicated sites.  :(

Still, this site seems like it's still being worked on, so maybe it'll be better eventually. I like the little titles they give you for having most of your games completed (Master of Unlocking) and stuff like that. And the "fortune cookie" thing that picks a random game in your collection for you to play is cool.

spaceman

I made my backlog a long ass time ago, I just logged into it now and it's still so incredibly long I'm embarrassed to post it.  >.<

Wrench

I made one. I'll update it much much later though.

username is wrenchninja36 since some nigger took wrenchninja

C.Mongler

uh hello i posted a Raptr thread like 6 years ago. also, its Raptr.

lock plz

Samus Aran

Quote from: C Mongler on May 20, 2010, 09:06:37 PM
uh hello i posted a Raptr thread like 6 years ago. also, its Raptr.

lock plz

no lock

i thought raptr was only for games that are on consoles that have online access and can thus be updated automatically but either way i forgot about it

Thyme

Quote from: Lain on May 20, 2010, 09:12:12 PM
no lock

i thought raptr was only for games that are on consoles that have online access and can thus be updated automatically but either way i forgot about it

and it doesn't even do ps3 lol

C.Mongler

Quote from: Thyme on May 21, 2010, 05:10:12 AM
and it doesn't even do ps3 lol

thats sony's fault not theirs. it used to but sony locked them out of auto tracking shit. and how the hell do you plan on things being able to auto track non-online consoles?

mariofreak

looks like something i could get insanely addicted to... kind of want to sign up.

Samus Aran

Daddy

steam also tracks non-steam games.

also <3
I have a few games from that indie bundle if you want those. giggle;

Thyme

Quote from: Lain on May 22, 2010, 12:27:33 AM
why must you mention ps3s so incredibly often

what kind of question is that

i like it

Samus Aran

Go Up