August 20, 2024, 09:10:17 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

why aren't

Started by Socks, April 14, 2010, 05:10:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Socks

April 14, 2010, 05:10:45 PM Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:13:57 PM by Socks
more films shot from a first person perspective--the whole way through? the possibilities intrigue me. both conceptually and practically it should be easy to create. life is not viewed from flying viewpoints in the air hovering everywhere; we see things done (for the most part) at eye level and through incredible vision. why not entirely replicate this in film? after all, it is supposed to be a representation of reality. it would allow the viewer (after some imaginative directing) to be more detached from the observer and be "in the scene", as it were. the view of landscapes and even trivial actions would seem strange at first. i'm almost certain the idea is not new or unseen, however i cannot recall a significant movie dedicated completely to the technique. those movies filtered via camcorder recordings etc... are not what i have in mind, and tend to be terrible and cheaply done.

this all came about from a fall i had today. i slid from this elevated ridge and landed against a large embedded boulder. on the  way down the earth seemed to zoom up into my face and stretch as i slid and sped. it was entirely something that may have gone unnoticed. the rest of the walk i sized up the landscape and fully immersed myself in the verdure. the experience was pleasing, somewhat, and the natural sights more prominent and enhanced. the lack of scale, linear space and subtle tones made it appear otherworldly and surreal. i wondered what a possible imax 3d--entirely first person-- adventurous day would look like.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

There was a local film festival a few years ago that I went to. It was all small time stuff but featured a former resident of the area who directed a higher budgeted short film. Anyways, it was entirely shot in first person and documented a day in the life of a small time thief. The day revolved around a particular job which was to be pulled in the afternoon. It was a jewlery store heist. There were these great shots of the thieves talking around this card table, going over the plans step by step. Finally, it gets to the heist itself. Jumps right into it and things are going wrong. The alarms are set off and you see one of the thieves dying on the ground. You see the main character, through his eyes, run out of the doors with a bag in his hand. He gets shot in the back and the bag flies out of reach and the last remaining thief grabs it and runs away while you, the viewer, bleed out on the sidewalk.

It's a really cool idea and it works in the short film format, but the lack of dynamic camera-work in some dialog scenes would really make things drag out. A feature length film would eventually suffer from it unless it kept each particular scene to only a few minutes.

rdl

Yeah conversations wouldn't work very well in first person. You can't replicate human emotion through audio or visuals.

Plus all first person movies always end in the viewer dying. Always. You'd have a to get a particularly imaginative director to make the movie any good.

Daddy

snorkel

the main reason is because if you have true first-person then the shots are very random and 'shaky', whereas typical artistic mise-en-scene is obviously much easier to accomplish with calculated third-person shots. what I think would be cool is something between Cloverfield and Wes Anderson (not the indie part just his eye for excellent set design), where the shots are haphazard camcorder style yet still extremely intentional and balanced with every aspect of good cinematography

??????

Quote from: wziard on April 15, 2010, 01:20:39 PM
the main reason is because if you have true first-person then the shots are very random and 'shaky', whereas typical artistic mise-en-scene is obviously much easier to accomplish with calculated third-person shots. what I think would be cool is something between Cloverfield and Wes Anderson (not the indie part just his eye for excellent set design), where the shots are haphazard camcorder style yet still extremely intentional and balanced with every aspect of good cinematography
i'd imagine that would be incredibly tedious for some mise-en-scene shooting representing some 1st person's field of view

each cut-scene would equate to the eyes' blink and change in focus, although i'm probably being pedantic about it
MAN I PRETEND THAT MY EYES ARE FILM EQUIPMENT

Go Up