July 08, 2024, 10:50:40 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Competitve Video Gaming - Views and Discussion.

Started by Volvagia, April 13, 2010, 07:42:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Geno

Quote from: Wrench on April 14, 2010, 11:30:38 AM
My friend rented Super Mario Strikers and at one point, we were in the top 900 in the world. Then we stopped playing lol
I was in the top 500 when it first came out yes;
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

strongbad

Quote from: GENOP on April 14, 2010, 08:51:25 PM
I was in the top 500 when it first came out yes;

Same. That game was pretty awesome actually.

Kalahari Inkantation

I hated Mario Strikers. :'(
but then again I was never a fan of sports games sillydood;

I don't play games competitively because I'm actually terrible at them, yet I love them so. goowan

Samus Aran

i'm not real big on competitive video gaming for two reasons

1.) i play way more single-player games than multiplayer and i don't really care about online gaming
2.) i'm simply not that good compared to a lot of people at most "competitive" games

Volvagia

April 15, 2010, 06:01:44 PM #19 Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:07:59 PM by Volvagia
I only really played Smash for a long time because it got me away from around my town, people I knew and opened up a lot of places I would have never went and people I would have never met if I didn't do it. I made a lot of friends through smash, people I still hang out with today because they're great friends outside of the game and not just good at the game, and it gives me good reasoning to re-visit those amazing places around the world.

The game itself though was increadible for it's time and still is, always expanding, making new techniques, stratageys and play styles, never the same, keep on changing, bringing millions of fans and people around the world in every year. Shit even made it to TV once because so many people turned up to a small church just to play, 300+ at one small church in 2006, then in 2009 made it to G4 for about an hour or so on a documentary about competitve video games, as well as having promotions put forth by Ken when he was on survivor, mentioning the game and how brilliant and how great of an experiance it is and how friendly the community is.

Smash opened up so many doors in my life to the point being when I go to Uni abroad, (now confirmed to be WU) I'll be staying with a friend I met through smash and probably, through him, getting involved with the WU scene again. (there actually is one, it's small, but it's high level players, no scrubs.)

I've never regretted playing in high level.

This was a few years before my time, I went to FC6, but this expresses the scene pretty well:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZfTHTee3a4[/youtube]

Claquesous

I play Pokemon competitively (lol). Or I used to before I got bored of playing. Though I am contemplating going to the regional championship in Atlanta in June. I dunno. I'm almost guaranteed a spot since it's first come first serves as opposed to the lottery they had in previous years. But 5ish hours is a long way when you don't have a car, and then if I get in 5-16th place and get to go to nationals in Indianapolis, I'd have to pay my way there as well.

So I think I'll sit this one out. It kinda pains me because I think I have a good shot, seeing as there's only three other people on Smogon so far that said they'd be going to Atlanta. And then of course there's bound to be plenty of people who haven't even heard of EVs/IVs. And I'd also have to plan out a team and breed it and all that in about a month. And ubers. Nah. Maybe next year.

Go Up