August 20, 2024, 07:01:56 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

That's it, M. Night's on my hit-list.

Started by Sam, April 12, 2010, 08:18:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sam

QuoteExactly. Now, the other big change is the pronunciation of some of the names. Now this is, for me, because, at the end of the day a South Indian guy directed the movie. Itâ,,,s a personal thing. So â,"Aangâ, is not [like Tang] but â,"Aangâ, [like Tong.] Itâ,,,s â,"Ang Lee.â, See, my first name is Manoj [as Man-oh-j] and everyone mispronounced it in school and butchered it as â,"Man-ahhj.â, So, this is coming from a specific place, from a multicultural appreciation.

The other changes: â,"Sokkaâ, [pronounced Sock-Ka] is pronounced â,"Soh-kaâ, (â,"sohâ, as in â,"sewâ,) and Iroh, Uncle Iroh, isnâ,,,t â,"Eye-Rowâ, but â,"Eer-Row.â, Everything else is the same. Iroh comes on the screen and says â,"My name is Iroh, and you have my word.â, And the first thing Shaun Toub, the actor playing him, asked was, â,"why is it pronounced this way?â, because Shaun is Persian. And Iâ,,,m like, â,"Dude, Iâ,,,m on it!â, Because this show, this film, is inspired by these cultures. And most directors wouldnâ,,,t care, but this is something Iâ,,,ve been living with my whole life, this is really important to me. But not just the names, the caligraphy, the drapery, the machinery, this all creates a world that is specific and personal and resonant.â,

someone be upset with me, please.
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

Travis

C.Mongler

HES DESTROYING THE MAJESTY OF THE AIRBENDER FRANCHISE

oh wait  giggle;

Sam

Mando Pandango

Seems to me the original creators of the show butchered the pronunciation and he's just fixing it.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Geno

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on April 12, 2010, 09:04:33 PM
Seems to me the original creators of the show butchered the pronunciation and he's just fixing it.
Uh but the movie is based off of the original series, I don't see why changing the names is necessary.
That would be like if when they made the first superman movie they changed his name to "Supperman"
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Daddy

Except he isn't changing the names.

He's changing the pronunciation to match that of the cultures of the respective characters.

Sam

OH MY FUCKING GOD.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

THE CHARACTERS IN AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER WERE CREATED IN AN IMAGINARY ENVIRONMENT, WITH IMAGINARY RACES, AND MADE UP NAMES. THE MAIN CHARACTER'S NAME IS AANG. IT DIDN'T ORIGINATE FROM ANY PLACE, SO THE PRONUNCIATION OF IT IS EXACTLY AS IT WAS FUCKING WRITTEN TO BE. AAAAAAANG. AANG. NOT ONG. SAYING "WAIT NO, THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO SAY IT FROM THIS CULTURE" IS FUCKING BULLSHIT BECAUSE THE NAME IS MADE UP SO WHETHER IT'S FROM THAT CULTURE OR NOT, THE PRONUNCIATION IS EXACTLY AS THE AUTHOR INTENDED.

ITT: You all are just as fucking stupid as the director and his team that decided to change the pronunciations. You don't change the pronunciation of the main fucking characters. On the plus side, at least I'll be able to tell the movie fags from the real avatar fans. Except there probably won't be any avatar movie fags because I don't anticipate it being good. at all.

Travis

Placebo Headwound

People actually care about some boring Nickelodeon show? akudood;

Samus Aran

jesus fucking christ sam, chill out, that shit is uncalled for and you sound like a little kid

Geno

I don't think I've ever seen Sam this mad.
It's gay but it's something you're probably just gonna have to deal with. The movies probably gonna suck anyway. NOT THAT AVATAR SUCKS but it's probably gonna suck
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

C.Mongler

Quote from: Lain on April 12, 2010, 09:56:05 PM
jesus fucking christ sam, chill out, that shit is uncalled for and you sound like a little kid

like the ones the show is meant for  THE POWER OF GOD

i'll be here all week

Daddy

LCK

Go Up