August 20, 2024, 08:23:16 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

So I went to big ears a couple weeks ago.

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, April 12, 2010, 01:32:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

would've posted sooner, but I don't have internet/boyah was down when I could get to internet. So hear we go

So my friend, my sister, and I went to Big Ears a couple of weeks ago.

Was gonna go see Vampire Weekend, but shit got sold out and couldn't get tickets. oh well. I remember C.Mongler said they weren't that good live newayz, so it's whatevvssss.

Go lost on the way to Knoxville, ended up lost in Pisgah (i think)  national forest. We rode for like an hour before we saw anybody. We came up on this old farm with some people standing outside, so we pulled into the driveway.

This old toothless farmer came up to us. He was holding a bud light with a beer cozy wrapped around it. here's the convo, yo:

My sister: "I think we're lost"

Toothless farmer:"Yeah you are."

soooo after the farmer gave us directions, we got to Knoxville with a hour to kill before our Dirty Projectors show. Stopped at some french place and got a crepe. A good way to describe it is a quesadilla made with a pancake. it was ok. BUT I HAD AN ORANGINA SO LUNCH WAS GREAT.

First show was Dirty Projectors, with William Basinski and DJ/Rupture opening. This was at the Tennessee Theatre, so imagine looking at a concert in one of those fancy eggs that I can't spell.

So William Basinski was kinda boring. His whole thing is deteriorating tape loops, which sounds cool...til you hear it. Then it's just a bunch of droning.

DJ/Rupture was fantastic though. First DJ I've ever seen, so I can't really compare him to anybody. but it was pretty cool.

BUT THE DIRTY PROJECTORS OH MAN THEY BLEW THE LID OFF THE JOINT SON.

They played quite a bit off of Bitte Orca, and they did Knotty Pine, Ascending Melody, and some others.

There is a energy in that band that is crazy. every member of the band seemed to enjoy being on stage a whole fucking lot. Especially the drummer. Dave Longstreth kept apologizing for his voice cracking, but I couldn't tell. Everyone was on their a-game. If you are not a dirty projectors fan, go see them live. you mind will be changed.

So DP played long, so we missed Clogs's opening act, but it was ok cuz I had no idea who it was. Or even who Clogs were. There were rumors that Sufjan stevens was gonna do a solo set with them, but he just did one song. Clogs were an interesting band. Kinda folky i guess, but I liked it.

THEN FOUR HOURS OF WALKING AROUND KNOXVILLE JESUS CHRIST.

Next was Joanna Newsome, and her opening act-Drum virtuoso Klaus Voorman. Voorman is just Fred Armisen from snl, but it was still great. He even had a double bass drum solo. top that John Bonham. oh wait, your dead. oh well.

then Joanna Newsome herself. Didn't stay through the encore. Newsome should not be seen at eleven o clock. Makes ya sleepy. Time aside, she sounds great live. And has a pretty good backing band. Ended up buying the cd's for her guitar player and drummer, both are ok. Neil Morgan was the drummer, and Ryan Franscesconi or somethin was the guitar player. worth a listen.

and you motherfuckers better appreciate the "hear we go" at the beginning. because that shit is clever.

Skylark

oh god dirty projectors and joanna newsom
i bet that was great. sounds like you had a good time... great... wow
the book of right on

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Skylark on April 12, 2010, 11:05:38 PM
oh god dirty projectors and joanna newsom
i bet that was great. sounds like you had a good time... great... wow
I meant to put this in the post, but I actually got to meet Dave Longstreth. He was like two rows behind me at the Joanna Newsome concert. Got a picture with him and everything.

C.Mongler

Hey i did say that :D

Its probably worse now that they are playing huge venues.

Go Up