October 07, 2024, 09:35:14 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

For those who like design and fonts

Started by snorkel, April 10, 2010, 03:30:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snorkel

http://daedelus.info/misc/H&FJ-fontpack.zip

Here's a zip of a bunch of Hoefler & Frere-Jones (very very skilled type foundry with typically exorbitant prices) fonts, most of which are incredible. Didot is one of the most beautiful serifs I've seen:

[img]http://www.identifont.com/samples/apple/Didot.gif[/img]

Anyway I torrented it and thought some might enjoy it, there's about 30 fonts all of which I can think of awesome uses for.

??????

It's been a long time since I've touched on the world of typography.
I remember I loved it so much, and how spaces, sizes, and widths all effect the expression that the font is trying to convey. :'(

Speaking of such, my new special interest works as a professional graphic designer and shares a love for typography too. ;)

Thyme

I'm not sure who did something wrong, but most of those files are empty on my end. O_0

snorkel

Quote from: Thyme on April 10, 2010, 03:40:00 PM
I'm not sure who did something wrong, but most of those files are empty on my end. O_0

It might only work with OS X, the folders were oddly setup with custom icons and the files might not be Windows compatible (I don't remember their format, didn't think about it)
Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on April 10, 2010, 03:34:16 PM
It's been a long time since I've touched on the world of typography.
I remember I loved it so much, and how spaces, sizes, and widths all effect the expression that the font is trying to convey. :'(

Speaking of such, my new special interest works as a professional graphic designer and shares a love for typography too. ;)

It's my favorite part of design

??????

Quote from: wziard on April 10, 2010, 05:25:42 PM
It might only work with OS X, the folders were oddly setup with custom icons and the files might not be Windows compatible (I don't remember their format, didn't think about it)
It's my favorite part of design

I personally think it's one of the hardest areas of design. :'(

snorkel

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on April 10, 2010, 05:30:42 PM
I personally think it's one of the hardest areas of design. :'(

To me it's one of the easiest to eyeball and 'get right' in the eyes of others. The great thing about type is that you don't have to be inventing anything new for anyone... everyone already knows the alphabet and the way words and sentences work, so you're left to play with and modify what's implicit, the way the aesthetics of the type influence ideas, not something people would usually consider art by itself (for instance the way a paragraph is spaced and its relationship to its heading) but which they will hopefully on some level perceive and recognize (not that people's reception matters).

And then sometimes type does just make for near-abstract art, like

[img]http://daedelus.info/misc/FT1.jpg[/img]

Volvagia

I've only ever tried to make fonts once. It just ended up being a copy of Bitsumushi. Shit sucked.
I will probably try now that I have this new computer though, shit'll be easier.

??????

Quote from: wziard on April 10, 2010, 05:49:47 PM
To me it's one of the easiest to eyeball and 'get right' in the eyes of others. The great thing about type is that you don't have to be inventing anything new for anyone... everyone already knows the alphabet and the way words and sentences work, so you're left to play with and modify what's implicit, the way the aesthetics of the type influence ideas, not something people would usually consider art by itself (for instance the way a paragraph is spaced and its relationship to its heading) but which they will hopefully on some level perceive and recognize (not that people's reception matters).

And then sometimes type does just make for near-abstract art, like

[img]http://daedelus.info/misc/FT1.jpg[/img]
I just find the scrutiny of slight changes (3 pixels of space, too much of a stroke, with or without serifs, etc.) adds too much pressure on me because such slight changes can alter what it's trying to express. :'(

snorkel

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on April 10, 2010, 06:06:51 PM
I just find the scrutiny of slight changes (3 pixels of space, too much of a stroke, with or without serifs, etc.) adds too much pressure on me because such slight changes can alter what it's trying to express. :'(

yes. I do a lot of print work for my school and the number of times I've sat there shifting one letter or word around in the space of 10px each direction to get it just right is somewhat ridiculous to think about

Quote from: Volvagia on April 10, 2010, 06:00:32 PM
I've only ever tried to make fonts once. It just ended up being a copy of Bitsumushi. Shit sucked.
I will probably try now that I have this new computer though, shit'll be easier.

I don't even try because for some reason no one has updated the bulk of foundry software since their fucking Mac OS 9 versions

??????

Quote from: wziard on April 10, 2010, 06:18:09 PM
yes. I do a lot of print work for my school and the number of times I've sat there shifting one letter or word around in the space of 10px each direction to get it just right is somewhat ridiculous to think about

I like how the day before you think it looks awesome and wake up with a different perspective on how shitty it looks. :'(

snorkel

Quote from: Analysis Paralysis on April 10, 2010, 06:20:46 PM
I like how the day before you think it looks awesome and wake up with a different perspective on how shitty it looks. :'(

yeah or more generally for me it's just the most recent thing I did is kind of close to what I want to do and the rest before that is shit

Veal

GASP thank you. I have a few weights of Gotham if that isn't in this pack, if you want it some time. and a BUNCH of House Industry fonts.

also Didot Italics is the fucking best

edit: okay just unzipped this HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

snorkel

Quote from: Veal on April 10, 2010, 09:45:53 PM
GASP thank you. I have a few weights of Gotham if that isn't in this pack, if you want it some time. and a BUNCH of House Industry fonts.

ya dood attach a zip to a post or something

Quote from: Veal on April 10, 2010, 09:45:53 PM
also Didot Italics is the fucking best

edit: okay just unzipped this HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

Yeah H&FJ are the shit

Go Up