July 08, 2024, 11:09:35 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Wii would be so much better if...

Started by NOA_Haunted, December 05, 2009, 08:06:05 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Oh

If the Wii was capable of doing big games like the 360 or PS3, it would be pretty good. But it's limited on what it can do, don't forget about the horrible online and the games that are just rushed with shitty motion slapped on it as a gimmick. Just wait for them to make a new Wii with a HDD and not have all their games focus on motion.

Daddy

Quote from: Hank Hill on December 06, 2009, 04:30:04 AMJust wait for them to make a new Wii with a HDD and not have all their games focus on motion.
But Nintendo doesn't want an HDD because they said 5 year olds might break it.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Claquesous on December 05, 2009, 10:19:13 AM
YES YES YES. I'M SURE YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON THIS WONDERFUL GAME, GENO.

I actually came to post about how Deadly Creatures solely makes the Wii a good purchase for me (although Metroid, Fire Emblem, and Sin & Punishment certainly help). So I guess you have it then? That's great, because it needs some love from someone besides me.
Yes, it's one of my favorite games this gen and my favorite on the Wii.

Everything about it, aside from a couple times where I fell through the ground, is perfect.

it's sad that the game sold so few copies worldwide and will never get a sequel :'(
Quote from: JMV on December 05, 2009, 09:21:17 AM
I don't think motion controls are the problem. Things like tilting and such (see: PS3) would seem to work fine.

Elebits seems to use them nicely where the only "motion" is a slight pointing of the remote. But then there are games that are like

There are a few exceptions, like Lawlz mentioned yesterday(WarioWare
but i don't think the warioware on the wii is very fun

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

bluaki

Having a pointer is a really nice thing, but the accelerometer itself seems like a mostly silly idea in any game. I haven't played PS3 before, but as for Wii I haven't seen tilting used decently. The only two decent uses I've seen of motion are to rotate the pointer icon and to slightly make up for the Wiimote having so few buttons on it by making a quick waggle replace an extra button (spin attack in Mario Galaxy, sword slash in Zelda, etc).

Then you have the MotionPlus which perfects and encourages the motion controls that already were useless and the even-more-useless Balance Board.

A few other details that screw it up in my opinion:
No universal online ID; instead, Wii number only acts for the menu itself and each individual game has a separate friend code.
General inability to have its menu updated. There are various technical reasons that Wii System Updates can't do much (too much data is hard-coded, no part of the menu runs during gameplay, update data stockpiles on the tiny hard drive instead of truly patching), and so the most massive leap they've ever brought is SDHC card support.

Claquesous

Quote from: Pancake Persona on December 05, 2009, 10:59:08 PM
Yes, it's one of my favorite games this gen and my favorite on the Wii.

Everything about it, aside from a couple times where I fell through the ground, is perfect.

it's sad that the game sold so few copies worldwide and will never get a sequel :'(

Yeah, it's my favorite Wii game as well. I agree about it being perfect. The atmosphere draws you in. It feels like a desert. And the minimalistic GUI and ambient music fit so well. And I love how the story is presented by overhearing it as you brutalize other bugs.

And yeah, it's too bad it sold poorly. Something like 130,000 worldwide.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Claquesous on December 06, 2009, 01:48:46 PM
Yeah, it's my favorite Wii game as well. I agree about it being perfect. The atmosphere draws you in. It feels like a desert. And the minimalistic GUI and ambient music fit so well. And I love how the story is presented by overhearing it as you brutalize other bugs.

And yeah, it's too bad it sold poorly. Something like 130,000 worldwide.
I honestly didn't care too much about the story.

It's the flawless exploration and combat that made me cream my pants. I wish it had a few more boss battles, though.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Claquesous

It wasn't the story itself, but how the it unfolded by you overhearing them talking about it. I thought that was the cool part.

More bosses couldn't hurt, but I'm having trouble thinking of some other critter that hasn't been used. Maybe a vulture or something.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Claquesous on December 06, 2009, 02:31:18 PM
It wasn't the story itself, but how the it unfolded by you overhearing them talking about it. I thought that was the cool part.

More bosses couldn't hurt, but I'm having trouble thinking of some other critter that hasn't been used. Maybe a vulture or something.
ground squirrels

Go Up