August 20, 2024, 06:14:23 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Cardboard CD cases

Started by Samus Aran, December 05, 2009, 07:35:06 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Don't you just hate those damn things?

All the new Beatles remasters apparently come in cardboard, though at least those ones aren't nearly as cheap as, say, the one that MGMT's Oracular Spectacular came in.

:(

Placebo Headwound

I think they're supposed to be cheaper and more environmentally friendly to make or something which is why they're everywhere now. saddood;

I bought Bear in Heaven's two albums at the show last night and both came in those damned cardboard cases. >.<

the shortest route to the sea

As long as they fit my CD case, I don't mind. A lot of My Animal Collective and Bjork albums do that; it's a different medium that really allows for creativity in presentation in the way a Jewel case can't. It's sometimes superfluous, and like I said, Sigur Ros' Takk pisses me off so much because it's strangely sized. But as long as it fits, who minds!

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Samus Aran

Yeah sometimes I don't mind too much when it actually turns out to be a cool design, like the In Rainbows box which opens rather strangely.

Or hell, the Fuck Buttons' debut album! A jewel case would make this clear, but from the front of the CD you can't tell which way is up; it's an upside-down picture of the ocean and a few islands with some abstract triangles on the front. The siding of a jewel case would make it clear, but with the cardboard you're opened up into what's going on.

Plus, yeah, it's more enviro-friendly.

Samus Aran

I still prefer jewel cases because they fit my CD towers better. :(

That's legitimate, yeah. Mine is kind of freeform so you  can stack things efficiently, but if something is oversize, I throw a fit.

Samus Aran

yeah my towers make it so that jewel cases don't fit when they have those cardboard slips that are like additional "covers" and that pisses me off

so i have the slips like laying in a stack next to the towers lol

Cookie

I actually like them better then a jewel case. They normally have more artwork in them, atleast the cardboard 2 disc ones do.

Skylark

the book of right on

Hiro

I don't have a problem with them. They're actually a little better just because jewel cases break so easily.

Oh and the new paper case for The Beatles (White Album) is awesome because the title is embossed into it, instead of printed.

Mando Pandango

You Are Here by thenewno2 has a cardboard case and its design is pretty cool. I wouldn't mind hanging the design on the back when it's open all the way on my wall.

Oh, it's the banner on their website: http://thenewno2.com/
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

sans culottes

I can't stand cardboard cases. I only have one CD in cardboard, and it goes along alright with the rest of my CDs, but I still much prefer jewel cases. To hell with the environment and money, man!

also: hello @ fellow newno2 fan; saw them live, shit was tight
I support BUSH

Houdini

I prefer cardboard cases, actually. Jewel cases are a waste of plastic.Cardboard cases have a way of drawing attention to the album art, which is good.

Wrench

I also prefer the jewel cases. I don't have many cardboard cases though. Of all my CDs, only 4 have cardboard cases. Jewel cases look so much better IMO and you don't have to fear destroying them.

Go Up