October 03, 2024, 10:21:58 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Back in Japan.

Started by Norwegian Lesbians, October 22, 2009, 08:16:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Why is it okay to be openly heterosexual but not openly homosexual?

How many people have been discharged for having sex with women or discussing their heterosexuality?

rdl

It's not a matter of what's morally correct, it's a matter of whether or not your squad members will fuck up because they're terrified of mr.gay. If he had just not said anything about liking dudes, then there would've been no problem. Maybe in the future when gays are equal on the same level as blacks they could get rid of DADT, but not now.

anyway
Quote from: RDX on October 30, 2009, 01:18:57 PM
Also I don't see why saying that you like men over women would ever be something that needs to be said (in a military context)

Daddy

It doesn't matter that "it would ever need to be said". Gays are automatically discharged for being open about their sexuality. If the law is strictly to protect them and is being protected by "you shouldn't be discussing your orientation in the military" then it should be applied to heterosexuals discussing their sexuality.

Why should gays be discriminated against and held to standards that the heterosexuals aren't just because of homophobia?

rdl

Quote from: RDX on October 30, 2009, 03:22:26 PM
It's not a matter of what's morally correct, it's a matter of whether or not your squad members will fuck up because they're terrified of mr.gay.

Quote from: RDX on October 30, 2009, 03:22:26 PMMaybe in the future when gays are equal on the same level as blacks they could get rid of DADT, but not now.

the shortest route to the sea

So, your point is that we should accept the status quo of inequality because it's more comfortable for those in the military?

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

rdl

My point is that we should accept the status quo of inequality because it's really not a big deal not being able to say that you're gay. What do you get out of it? (In a military context, of course).

Statement: I like men.

Pros
- You've exercised your right to freedom of speech
- You can be a little more open about yourself now that everyone knows.

Cons
- Some of your squad members are now scared of you or they want to beat you up.
- If your CO is homophobic he'll put you through hell
- Your squad members might not trust you
- There's a chance that since you being gay makes others self conscious, you might screw up an entire operation that otherwise could've been pulled off flawlessly.

Feel free to add to the list. I honestly can't think of any other pros.

Daddy

Statement: I am a muslim

Pros
- You've exercised your right to freedom of religion

Cons
- If your CO is islamophobic he'll put you through hell
- There's a chance that since you being gay makes others self conscious, you might screw up an entire operation that otherwise could've been pulled off flawlessly.

Being openly Muslim should be banned in the military.

Hiro

I get what he's saying. It actually does make sense in the way that others could be affected by it. I don't think the military should ask, and you shouldn't have to tell, but they definitely should not kick you out due to your sexuality.

rdl

Quote from: JMV on October 30, 2009, 04:07:27 PM
Pros
- You've exercised your right to freedom of religion

Cons
- If your CO is islamophobic he'll put you through hell
Asshole akudood;

Anyway, I agree. Besides needing to pray, me being a muslim isn't really something they need to know. Hell, most people in my school don't even know I'm a muslim. It's hardly ever relevant for me to bring it up.

Also I could probably find statistics to show you that there are far more homophobes than islamophobes, but I don't want to find them.

Daddy

Quote from: RDX on October 30, 2009, 04:34:47 PM
Asshole akudood;

Anyway, I agree. Besides needing to pray, me being a muslim isn't really something they need to know. Hell, most people in my school don't even know I'm a muslim. It's hardly ever relevant for me to bring it up.
Do you agree that if your being a muslim is put out into the public you should be discharged?

QuoteAlso I could probably find statistics to show you that there are far more homophobes than islamophobes, but I don't want to find them.
We're at war in several predominately muslim nations. I'm pretty sure most people in the military aren't going to be too welcoming of muslims, or even christian arabs (because lol all arabs are mooslims).  doodhuh;

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: RDX on October 30, 2009, 03:55:17 PM
My point is that we should accept the status quo of inequality because it's really not a big deal not being able to say that you're gay. What do you get out of it? (In a military context, of course).

Statement: I like men.

Pros
- You've exercised your right to freedom of speech

Cons
- If your CO is homophobic he'll put you through hell

Feel free to add to the list. I honestly can't think of any other pros.

Ok, if this is what it boils down to, then I have an extreme problem with it. Having a right to honesty, self-expression, and openness about oneself is extremely important for queer people (and everybody, really). That's exactly the point of coming out; yeah the cons are that your family will/might disown you and you might get beaten up. Me being publicly open about my gender identity presents a real threat to my life, a pretty large one looking at the data.

Your list of pros and cons is practical and accurate, but you are missing how exactly vital the pros are to queer persons' living in society. In whatever society.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

YPrrrr

Most military men I know say that they don't care about sexuality as long as they can fight. Then again I mostly know officers, so I can't vouch for the average private

Norwegian Lesbians

You can be gay in the military.
You just can't commit acts of homosexuality.
Shoo-Dang.

Norwegian Lesbians

the officer corp dont do shit
the enlisted corp is who fights
Shoo-Dang.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Billy Idol on October 31, 2009, 05:46:09 PM
the officer corp dont do shit
the enlisted corp is who fights
I'm pretty sure there's a reason they're officers and it's not to do nothing. I dont know about other branches but i know in the army there are officers on the ground fighting

Go Up