October 05, 2024, 04:17:53 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

recommend me metal bands, especially prog metal

Started by Samus Aran, October 25, 2009, 06:10:50 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

I've been listening to a lot of Mastodon lately and really enjoying it. I used to hate them, and Dream Theater used to be the only prog metal band I liked, but now that's changed. And I of course enjoy thrash, but that's old news.

So yeah, recommend me some more metal bands. Nothing overtly death metal, please. And don't just say Opeth, you predictable sillies.

I can take growling when it's used with good effect, which is like I like Mastodon. If the vocalist is just going to growl or scream the entire time in the lowest death metal growl ever so I can't even understand anything then I'm not going to like it.

LCK

what mastodon albums do you have, if any whole albums

Samus Aran

Quote from: Trevor on October 25, 2009, 06:16:16 AM
what mastodon albums do you have, if any whole albums

no whole albums, but I've sampled material from Leviathan, Blood Mountain, Crack the Skye, and Call of the Mastodon...and i've enjoyed every song

the ones from Leviathan are my favorites though, and I plan on buying Leviathan very soon on CD

LCK

I love Leviathan and Crack the Skye.

mostly because they have the most badass concepts

crack the skye is probably my favorite though

Quote"There is a paraplegic and the only way that he can go anywhere is if he astral travels. He goes out of his body, into outer space and a bit like Icarus, he goes too close to the sun, burning off the golden umbilical cord that is attached to his solar plexus. So he is in outer space and he is lost, he gets sucked into a wormhole, he ends up in the spirit realm and he talks to spirits telling them that he is not really dead. So they send him to the Russian cult, they use him in a divination and they find out his problem. They decide they are going to help him. They put his soul inside Rasputin's body. Rasputin goes to usurp the czar and he is murdered. The two souls fly out of Rasputin's body through the crack in the sky(e) and Rasputin is the wise man that is trying to lead the child home to his body because his parents have discovered him by now and think that he is dead. Rasputin needs to get him back into his body before it's too late. But they end up running into the Devil along the way and the Devil tries to steal their souls and bring them downââ,¬Â¦there are some obstacles along the way."

it's such a badass album

Andria

Opeth  baddood;
Ayreon
Dark Tranquility
Evergrey
Pain of Salvation
Symphony X

Samus Aran

trying out Symphony X right now because their lead singer is srs if i recall lol

LCK

Quote from: Kaz on October 25, 2009, 07:26:26 AM
trying out Symphony X right now because their lead singer is srs if i recall lol
no no lol
that's Sanctity

symphony x is pretty bad ass though

Samus Aran

Quote from: Trevor on October 25, 2009, 07:28:16 AM
no no lol
that's Sanctity

symphony x is pretty bad ass though

oh yeah they opened for Symphony X and then steal took a picture with the guy, right?

also Symphony X seems pretty cook, the singer is kind of dull but i guess he might grow on me, trying "The Serpent's Kiss" right now

LCK

Quote from: Kaz on October 25, 2009, 07:32:36 AM
oh yeah they opened for Symphony X and then steal took a picture with the guy, right?

also Symphony X seems pretty cook, the singer is kind of dull but i guess he might grow on me, trying "The Serpent's Kiss" right now
something like that

try some Devin Townsend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zGowzzs8dQ

listen to the whole song

Josh

Andria

Samus Aran

if Nevermore's other material is as cool as "The Psalm of Lydia," then they're pretty cook

will listen to Devin later tonight, Trevor

anyway gonna drive back to school now baddood;

LCK

Quote from: Kaz on October 25, 2009, 07:54:13 AM
if Nevermore's other material is as cool as "The Psalm of Lydia," then they're pretty cook

will listen to Devin later tonight, Trevor

anyway gonna drive back to school now baddood;
YOU'LL LOVE IT

the shortest route to the sea

TOWNSEND

And uh, Ayreon I guess. I have awful taste in metal.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Veal

I HAVE THE BEST TASTE IN METAL LISTEN TO ME

Meshuggah is amazing.

Between The Buried And Me has some great really non-metal stuff in their two latest albums, along with the regular metal.

Protest The Hero is great too.

Also Tool and A Perfect Circle.

Go Up