September 22, 2024, 09:37:29 AM

1,531,318 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Flaming Lips to cover Dark Side of the Moon

Started by Placebo Headwound, October 16, 2009, 11:11:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on October 17, 2009, 12:34:18 AM
THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE BEST THINGS EVER

...I'm actually a bit worried about Stardeath. They were pretty good, but they weren't great. But that won't drag the F'lips down. Peaches influence will be hilarious...I want to hear on Money. giggle;
I kinda like Stardeath. I can't wait to see how they end up in future years, especially with the obvious 90's Lips influence. giggle;

sans culottes

Quote from: Kaz on October 17, 2009, 12:02:53 AM
you don't even like the flaming lips so why would you even care
I like the Lips, but I DO NOT WANT. If they want to do this live once or twice, okay, and if they want to cover one or two songs, that's fine, but covering the entire album is too much. It won't have the same feel as the original.
I support BUSH

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Stagger Lee on October 18, 2009, 07:19:50 AM
I like the Lips, but I DO NOT WANT. If they want to do this live once or twice, okay, and if they want to cover one or two songs, that's fine, but covering the entire album is too much. It won't have the same feel as the original.
I don't think it's supposed to have the same feel. I'm pretty sure they're not trying to make it better than the original and they're just doing this for fun. doodhuh;

sans culottes

yeah, but i wouldn't find it that great without the touch of the original

i guess i just find covering a whole album to be a little much
I support BUSH

burzumfan420

yay another dark side of the moon tribute album...

Sa Da MA

[spoiler]No one can do "Dark Side of the Moon" better than Pink Floyd, NO ONE![/spoiler]

I'll listen to it online once but thats as far as I go

me003

Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Easy Star All Stars does it the best, but that's reggae.

Listen to brain damage and pop.

And jesus christ, they're doing sgt pepper next.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6i5TPBz9Cg[/youtube]

Samus Aran

Quote from: Methree on November 02, 2009, 05:53:44 PM
Dert Floyd already did it.
[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEscP1dx2pk&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Tdl92Wi10[/youtube][/spoiler]

1.) The Wall =/= Dark Side of the Moon
2.) Other artists have covered the album too. We know.
3.) Those are awesome tracks.

Hiro

I just listened to Dark Side of the Moon again and got really excited for this

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hïro on November 11, 2009, 04:47:43 PM
I just listened to Dark Side of the Moon again and got really excited for this

i haven't listened to the full album in quite some time, i'll have to do that before the lips release this

usually when i listen to floyd i listen to Animals

burzumfan420

Samus Aran

Quote from: burzumfan420 on November 12, 2009, 03:16:37 AM
i think you meant saucer ful of secerts

no, i am not overly fond of that album

i like it, and i appreciate the growth of the band between that and Piper, and i like that Syd had less influence and all, but i still don't like love the album or anything

"let there be more light" starts out cool but gradually falls flat due to the chant-like nature, i think this would've been better as an instrumental

"remember a day" is actually quite cool, i enjoy it, though i'm not gonna orgasm over it or anything, its spaceyness is tight and refined

"set the controls..." is godly in its instrumentation, at least until it kinda degenerates into a meandering jam, but it's a definite must-have for early Floyd songs nonetheless

"corporal clegg" could've been cool, but i feel the guys never really finished it, and to be honest it's a bit annoying

"a saucerful of secrets," though extraordinarily long and mundane at times, is my favorite song on the album, it's downright spooky and extremely creative

"see-saw" is wright's song, right? i think remember a day is also. must be why both songs sound like "pink floyd covering the hippie generation." good, but not as good as his other song here, and kind of boring.

"jugband blues" isn't bad, and it's syd's only song here i think, but holy fuck it's depressing.

so yeah, i like the album, but i think almost every song has major faults, as compared to later efforts where they got their shit together

i don't think the album is useless or anything, just really hard to absorb to a point where it's not usually worth the effort, not to mention mundane and tired at times, as well as even unfinished in some areas

but hey, what's what happens when a band tries to grow so fast

burzumfan420

syd barrett rules but i listened to pipers 2 much

none of their albums have 2 much of a psyhcedelic feel compared to saucersand pipers

Samus Aran

well yeah but in general i just like their overt progressive rock more than their psychedelia

unless of course we're talking atom heart mother akudood;

Go Up