October 02, 2024, 09:29:47 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

A girl was gangraped on campus today

Started by Mando Pandango, September 15, 2009, 06:48:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

Quote from: JMV on September 17, 2009, 01:09:36 PM
but I really think reporting a false rape itself should be a felony.

...It's not?! O_0

Not rhetorical, I'm really clueless about this stuff, but what the fuck.

Daddy

Quote from: King Shishkebaboo on September 18, 2009, 01:54:48 PM
How am I in this conversation?  akudood;
You said if the victims are women and children they should be executed  akudood;
Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on September 18, 2009, 12:43:32 PM
And you take him literally?
When he posts it incessantly yes. madood;

QuoteIt so incredibly difficult to get accurate rape statistics because of the shame and hate that the ghosts of a patriarchical culture have placed on rape victims. There exists so much shame, so much fear (both founded and unfounded), and thus many cases go unreported. I can get you the few reports that have come out on this subject if you'd like.
You can't let people go for reporting false rapes because genuine rapes might not be reported.

And there is also that whole stigma that male rape victims get stigmatized and mocked.

QuoteI'm not saying the woman is always right, and there is a very significant, and in my mind disturbing tendency of the courts to automatically side with the woman. But the unreported cases outweigh these. The media jumps on the false-rape claims because it's a good story, of good and evil and justification and moral ambiguity; no one gives a shit about all the women who are too scared to say anything. Having a serious consequence for rape cases ruled a problem

QuoteWomen are more the victims of rape culture than men are. That isn't to say that the  "no means prison" problem for men is nothing.
In numbers, yes.
In terms of getting justice, no. Cases of male rape are much more underreported. Partially because the man receives public ridicule, there are a lot of people who go "lol you cant' raep men", and several other social things

Quotea) I could say this two ways. One: two wrongs don't make a right. Two: his opinion is absolutely, positively, no excuse for these hypergeneralized and directly agressive attacks. Chill.
which wrongs. I support no capital punishment and I support having equal punishments for equal crimes, regardless of the gender/race/religion/etc.

His opinion is based on the fact that he has a heterophobic misandry streak akudood;

Quoteb) Since in both cases the judge is assumed to be the same, and the prosecutors the same, and since the jurors don't have influence on legal preceedings, just on decisions in the end after evidence and testimony, and that cases involving the death penalty are handled at least as carefully as cases not involving the death penalty, if not far more so, she would come clean during trial. So this wouldn't happen. Even if she didn't come clean and the men were going to be convicted, you're assuming she cares more about her reputation than those of the five men, which was not on the line in the original case.
It is a hypothetical. There was a video showing it was consensual show it wouldn't have gotten far in trial.

Quotec) And then even if she came clean after then, each of the jurors followed legal process: they took the evidence had and presented to them. I don't agree with the death penalty ever, but if it was in place and legal for these crimes, then the Jurors acted according to legal process, and thus will have only their own consciences to deal with.
Exactly. I'm asking how his conscience would be. akudood;

Quote1. I don't agree with that law. But putting whatever reasons he gave under the umbrella of bigotry is a disservice to your sense of truth, and moreover his sense of self.
He dislikes heterosexual men.
Refer to "all men are selfish pigs"

Quote2. The men are the victims here. It's representative of a trend. But you're putting motivations in his mouth. Rationalize it all you want, but that's not a cool thing to do. If you're taking the privilege of detailed discussion, then it would be best to have some respect for viewpoints, no matter how much you are opposed to it, and to not throw awful words in their mouth
It's not throwing words in his mouth when he said "all men are pigs". That alone, in the legal system would disqualify him for the jury just as a member of the KKK would be disqualified.

Quote3. Agreed well enough.
except hitler. i support killing hitler akudood;

Neither should anyone. Neither should you.
What was I saying that was bigoted ma'am? akudood;
Quote from: Thyme on September 18, 2009, 02:28:53 PM
...It's not?! O_0

Not rhetorical, I'm really clueless about this stuff, but what the fuck.
The only charge is "filing a false report" which is only a misdemeanor.

I'm not saying she should get the 20 years or whatever for the rape, but if it's clearly a fabricated story(video evidence, impossibilities in her accusation, like the guy she accused was on the other side of the country, etc) then yes she should be charged with a felony.

pqqu, I agree that actual rape victims deserve justice, but as long as you are letting women like this make frivolous claims, they are doing much more to prevent actual victims from receiving justice than punishing people who abuse the legal system ever could.  It brings doubt into the mind of every juror with "what if she's lying too?".

Classic

Quote from: JMV on September 18, 2009, 02:33:01 PM

Silly James.

I don't like gay men either.

Daddy

Quote from: King Shishkebaboo on September 18, 2009, 02:35:27 PM
Silly James.

I don't like gay men either.
so you admit you dislike men.

pqqu claims i was putting words in your mouth. baddood;

Classic

Quote from: JMV on September 18, 2009, 02:37:07 PM
so you admit you dislike men.

pqqu claims i was putting words in your mouth. baddood;

No PQQU, James is right.
I hate men. But I also hate women.
I hate everything.
Everyone.

I'm a lonely little piggy in the field. :'(

Classic

Not hate as in I can't stand their guts. Because I love you guys.  cjlubdoods;

I guess I mean when it comes to relationships and dating.

Daddy

Quote from: King Shishkebaboo on September 18, 2009, 02:38:23 PM
No PQQU, James is right.
I hate men. But I also hate women.
I hate everything.
Everyone.

I'm a lonely little piggy in the field. :'(
you are a big piggie :3

are you a black and white piggie though they are cute.

Classic

Quote from: JMV on September 18, 2009, 02:41:54 PM
you are a big piggie :3
are you a black and white piggie though they are cute.

Pink with a white belly.  cjlubdoods;
And I'm the cutest fat piggy ever. :3

Thyme

I'm not saying she should get the 20 years or whatever for the rape, but if it's clearly a fabricated story(video evidence, impossibilities in her accusation, like the guy she accused was on the other side of the country, etc) then yes she should be charged with a felony.

Yeah, she should. At least 6 months. akudood;

Of course, nothing could compensate for the damages she could have done to the guy's reputation, even is he's declared not guilty and she's declared guilty of fabrication. akudood;

[spoiler]god this pisses me off akudood;[/spoiler]

Daddy

Quote from: Thyme on September 18, 2009, 02:49:04 PM
Yeah, she should. At least 6 months. akudood;

Of course, nothing could compensate for the damages she could have done to the guy's reputation, even is he's declared not guilty and she's declared guilty of fabrication. akudood;

[spoiler]god this pisses me off akudood;[/spoiler]
I'm not sure if laws in Canada are different in that way but
Less than a year is a misdemeanor while over a year is a felony.

2-5 years, with possibly up to 10 (like all crimes, sentence depends on factors) seems fair.

False rape accusations can cost guys relationships with girlfriends/wives/family members/coworkers.  That's something most can never get back.

Thyme

Quote from: JMV on September 18, 2009, 02:51:08 PM
I'm not sure if laws in Canada are different in that way but
Less than a year is a misdemeanor while over a year is a felony.

2-5 years, with possibly up to 10 (like all crimes, sentence depends on factors) seems fair.

Ah. No, I'm just clueless. giggle;

False rape accusations can cost guys relationships with girlfriends/wives/family members/coworkers.  That's something most can never get back.

But yeah, that. akudood;

the shortest route to the sea

Tyler you confuse me so badly.  doodella;

You can't let people go for reporting false rapes because genuine rapes might not be reported.

Totally agreed! But I also don't think that the law should be strengthened too much, as it would have negative consequences. 2-5 years seems appropriate.

QuoteAnd there is also that whole stigma that male rape victims get stigmatized and mocked.
In numbers, yes.
In terms of getting justice, no. Cases of male rape are much more underreported. Partially because the man receives public ridicule, there are a lot of people who go "lol you cant' raep men", and several other social things

I'd challenge that trend as more prevalent than female rape nonreporting, but you raise a very important point.

I should've been more clear. Male rape is a serious fucking problem, over which there's even more of a stereotype, to a point that it's more damaging than female rape. What I meant, and failed to express, that in the typical model of female reporting / not reporting rape and the male being / not being found guilty, the woman is more wronged by the current system than the man. Male rape raises a different, but very important, dynamic that I didn't touch on.

Quotewhich wrongs. I support no capital punishment and I support having equal punishments for equal crimes, regardless of the gender/race/religion/etc.

Name one person who tyler's belief has hurt. My sense was that you're harshing him pretty hard, beyond what the normal back-and-forth of discussion is. I still have that sense, because they're just his opinions about capital punishment. His opinions about other people based on sex or gender is a) his problem, and b) between he and whomever he offends.

QuoteIt is a hypothetical. There was a video showing it was consensual show it wouldn't have gotten far in trial.

Well, alright. But I didn't get any sort of convincing out of it.

QuoteExactly. I'm asking how his conscience would be. akudood;

Ask him, then!

Rerefer to "I hate everyone" followed by "I love you all"

The only conclusion that I can draw about tyler is that he confuses me

AND I LOVE YOU FOR IT, TYTY <3

Quoteexcept hitler. i support killing hitler akudood;

Well, he beat you to it.

QuoteWhat was I saying that was bigoted ma'am?

This was be going too far, being too critical. It was a completely wrong claim on my part, and a result of my pissiness / unsureness about what Tyler really says. I am really sorry.  :(

Quoteakudood;The only charge is "filing a false report" which is only a misdemeanor.

That's a good point. Rape should be taken seriously, and it's not something to trifle with. I think for both punishment-outweighing-crime reasons, and for not being a deterrant for women to bring up ambiguous cases who have reason to believe they were raped, a 2-5 year sentence is cool.

A thought: how would you define such a law? Would she have to report the rape and it be consensual, thus not a rape charge? These false charges are made for many different reasons, most of which are not legitimate. But I can't help but wonder...eh, I guess it would be best for the law to not worry about that, and let the sliding sentence worry about that.

Quotepqqu, I agree that actual rape victims deserve justice, but as long as you are letting women like this make frivolous claims, they are doing much more to prevent actual victims from receiving justice than punishing people who abuse the legal system ever could.  It brings doubt into the mind of every juror with "what if she's lying too?".

Maybe! The courts already have a pretty strong bias toward the female, and I don't think this could change that. The fact still stands: a person crying "rape" when he/she/xe is completely aware it was consensual is an awful thing, and needs a stronger deterrant / punishment sentence behind it.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Daddy

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on September 18, 2009, 06:48:26 PM
Name one person who tyler's belief has hurt. My sense was that you're harshing him pretty hard, beyond what the normal back-and-forth of discussion is. I still have that sense, because they're just his opinions about capital punishment. His opinions about other people based on sex or gender is a) his problem, and b) between he and whomever he offends.
It's very hurtful that he calls me a pig.

And I am offended by the notion of [anyone] advocating inequality under the law--especially since, as a homosexual, he has to fight such.

QuoteAsk him, then!
I did baddood;

QuoteA thought: how would you define such a law? Would she have to report the rape and it be consensual, thus not a rape charge? These false charges are made for many different reasons, most of which are not legitimate. But I can't help but wonder...eh, I guess it would be best for the law to not worry about that, and let the sliding sentence worry about that.
Consensual or completely fabricated stories.

Maybe! The courts already have a pretty strong bias toward the female, and I don't think this could change that. The fact still stands: a person crying "rape" when he/she/xe is completely aware it was consensual is an awful thing, and needs a stronger deterrant / punishment sentence behind it.
Yes. baddood;

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: JMV on September 18, 2009, 07:02:27 PM
It's very hurtful that he calls me a pig.

But he also loves you! Or something!

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Nyerp

Go Up