October 05, 2024, 03:42:57 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Transition from acoustic to electric guitar.

Started by spaceman, September 13, 2009, 05:58:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

spaceman

So, I'm gunna go buy myself my first electric guitar this week sometime. I've only played acoustics before, and was wondering if there were any major differences/stuff I would need to get used to.

Anyone who's played both got an answer?  n_u

Samus Aran

Differences? Well, it's easier on your fingers because electric guitar string gauges are smaller. Unless of course you were playing nylon on your acoustic already, which feels like a dream on your fingers.

I think the only thing you'll really see that's majorly different is of course how many options you'll have as far as sound goes. Depending on your guitar and setup, obviously you can do a lot of different styles.

This concludes my summary of the obvious.

By the way, what guitar and amp are you getting?

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

If you're proficient at the acoustic, you're generally going to find the transition pretty smooth.
It's a lot easier to learn the guitar on an electric, I've found.

So what Kaz said.

spaceman

Quote from: Kaz on September 13, 2009, 06:09:31 PM
Differences? Well, it's easier on your fingers because electric guitar string gauges are smaller. Unless of course you were playing nylon on your acoustic already, which feels like a dream on your fingers.

I think the only thing you'll really see that's majorly different is of course how many options you'll have as far as sound goes. Depending on your guitar and setup, obviously you can do a lot of different styles.

This concludes my summary of the obvious.

By the way, what guitar and amp are you getting?

Thanks, and I'm looking at reviews and shopping online for stuff now, and probably going to go to a brick and mortar store that my dads friend owns, get his take on it as well.

As for the moment, I really have no idea. Any suggestions? Trying to keep the budget to a minimum, I'm pretty much a beginner.

spaceman

Quote from: Son Of Stallion Vol.13 on September 13, 2009, 06:13:26 PM
If you're proficient at the acoustic, you're generally going to find the transition pretty smooth.
It's a lot easier to learn the guitar on an electric, I've found.

So what Kaz said.

Yeah, I know the basic stuff that I've learned on an acoustic, but I wouldn't say I'm decent by any means.

And that's what my friends say, that it is easier to learn on an electric.

Samus Aran

Well if you really want to keep your budget low, I can't really recommend anything particularly good, honestly, except maybe a decent Epiphone or something. If you want high-end but still affordable, you could always go with a standard Strat or Tele (by Fender, not Squier)

I mean, there's nothing wrong with learning on a shitty low-end guitar like something by Squier (i would know, i have one), and you can make it sound nice if you really know what you're doing (i suggest replacing pickups sometime), but it's definitely worth the extra money if you want something less frustrating.

spaceman

Quote from: Kaz on September 13, 2009, 06:16:38 PM
Well if you really want to keep your budget low, I can't really recommend anything particularly good, honestly, except maybe a decent Epiphone or something. If you want high-end but still affordable, you could always go with a standard Strat or Tele (by Fender, not Squier)

I mean, there's nothing wrong with learning on a shitty low-end guitar like something by Squier (i would know, i have one), and you can make it sound nice if you really know what you're doing (i suggest replacing pickups sometime), but it's definitely worth the extra money if you want something less frustrating.

Alright, I'll take a look at all those as well, thanks.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: fluxus on September 13, 2009, 06:13:44 PM
Thanks, and I'm looking at reviews and shopping online for stuff now, and probably going to go to a brick and mortar store that my dads friend owns, get his take on it as well.

As for the moment, I really have no idea. Any suggestions? Trying to keep the budget to a minimum, I'm pretty much a beginner.

Really you need to hit your local music store and try as many as you can.
I had an older ibanez which was a little pricey, but I'm having some issues with connection lately. It's in the shop.

In the meantime, I picked up a used  squier-mock stratocaster by fender for like $150 and I'm more then happy with its performance. I feel a little safer taking it with me places then the 800 dollar ibanez anyways.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-102545738-i1146349.gc

The action on these aren't fantastic but other then that I was content. Good for plunking some money down for a beginner piece, if you're thinking of working your way up in the future.

spaceman

Quote from: Son Of Stallion Vol.13 on September 13, 2009, 06:21:50 PM
Really you need to hit your local music store and try as many as you can.
I had an older ibanez which was a little pricey, but I'm having some issues with connection lately. It's in the shop.

In the meantime, I picked up a used  squier-mock stratocaster by fender for like $150 and I'm more then happy with its performance. I feel a little safer taking it with me places then the 800 dollar ibanez anyways.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-102545738-i1146349.gc

The action on these aren't fantastic but other then that I was content. Good for plunking some money down for a beginner piece, if you're thinking of working your way up in the future.

That was actually one of the ones I was looking at. I'll probably go to the local store on Tuesday, I'll take a look then.

Cheers.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: fluxus on September 13, 2009, 06:27:57 PM
That was actually one of the ones I was looking at. I'll probably go to the local store on Tuesday, I'll take a look then.

Cheers.

Alright. Best of luck and happy hunting!

Samus Aran

yeah if you're going to buy a Squier like that, make sure you don't overpay for it, the action sucks and like i said it's usually a good idea to replace their pickups

but it's all right for just a beginner guitar

the shortest route to the sea

My dad has two acoustics and an electric...his second acoustic is a gloriously nice Martin from a while ago...made in USA, I think. I don't know much about it, but it's a godly thing, I can't bear to touch it.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on September 13, 2009, 08:42:29 PM
My dad has two acoustics and an electric...his second acoustic is a gloriously nice Martin from a while ago...made in USA, I think. I don't know much about it, but it's a godly thing, I can't bear to touch it.

Yeah, I just bought a kind of generic martin dreadnaught about 6 years ago for 500 dollars. I didn't really know anything about them at the time, or what I should be looking for.

It's really broken in nicely though. Real real warm tones.

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Son Of Stallion Vol.13 on September 13, 2009, 08:49:23 PM
Yeah, I just bought a kind of generic martin dreadnaught about 6 years ago for 500 dollars. I didn't really know anything about them at the time, or what I should be looking for.

It's really broken in nicely though. Real real warm tones.

Warmth is a great way to describe it. It has something special in the resonating chamber that makes it extra-nice or something. It wasn't custom or anything, but it was a rare find. It's his baby, unlike me.  madood;

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Go Up