October 05, 2024, 03:40:54 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What did you think of the last five albums you acquired?

Started by sans culottes, August 15, 2009, 10:55:06 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

Think of the last five albums you downloaded/purchased and say what you thought of them.

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
Unlike Surrealistic Pillow, Airplane didn't really put any boring cheesy poppy songs on this album. It's raw, loud, psychedelic rock for the most part. This is nice, but at many points it feels unrefined. Some of the songs are poorly written. 3/5
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
I figured that the Stone Roses would be a good fit for my tastes. Howeer, somewhere in their mix of genres is that particular 80's style that was so common with British bands, and it didn't really suit me well. I liked the album, but it felt kind of bland and overproduced. 3/5
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Their debut was very experimental, but this goes beyond that. A very peculiar album. Though it has its faults, it makes up for those by being very interesting. 4/5
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
I've heard of rock operas and concept albums, and Deltron 3030 does just that with rap music. I'm not a big fan of rap, but I really liked this album. Everything fits together so well. One of the best rap albums I've ever heard. 4/5
Dr. Dog - We All Belong
I got this album because 60's revivalists rarely disappoint me. Unlike the usual neo-psychedelic act, Dr. Dog is mainly influenced by pop groups, in particular the Beatles. Some of the tracks are really nice, but many of them are somewhat boring. 3/5
I support BUSH

snorkel

Kompakt Total 10 - A compilation album from Kompakt. There's three or four good tracks on it.

Ode to J. Smith (by Travis) - Decent. I like "Something Anything" and that's about it.

Engineers (self-titled) - The first of their two amazing albums.

The Ecstatic (Mos Def) - I wasn't really a Mos Def fan, but this album has some great tracks.

Diary of an Afro Warrior (Benga) - haven't listened to this much yet, but I like most of Benga's music.

famy

American Gangster (Jay-Z) - um idk i was never a big fan of Jay-Z and the only albums I had by him were Reasonable Doubt and The Black Album, but I got this one because idk and I really liked it. 4/5

some greatest hits album by Kool Moe Dee - It's too much trouble finding an actual album by him, I usually don't get compilations. It was pretty good, it had a lot of nice tracks on it, even if half of them were LL Cool J diss tracks. 3/5

Meanwhile... (Casual) - i've been looking for it for years, so damn hard to find, only released on tape, ones of his best albums. 4/5

The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (lol) - lol 3/5

Humbug (Arctic Monkeys) - idk they sound like they matured at least, I'll have to give it more listens to rate it at all

Samus Aran

The last time I bought albums, I actually bought more than five at once...it was ten. So here goes.

Dream Theater - Images and Words 8/10

Basically what I expected. Nice mix of softer prog rock and prog metal. Some songs are a bit iffy while others are amazing. "Under a Glass Moon" is my favorite...just oh god, that guitar solo. Amazing.

Pearl Jam - Ten 7/10

Well, it's not perfect, but I at least enjoy the whole album. Certain songs, of course, are grunge masterpieces, like "Even Flow" and "Alive," while other songs seem filler-ish. But overall, a great album.

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin 9/10

Fucking gorgeous. "Race for the Prize," especially the remix version, is up there in my favorite Lips songs, as is "Waiting for a Superman," "The Spiderbite Song," and "Buggin'." I love how much the Lips experimented with the drums on this album...from weird-ass moments like "The Spiderbite Song" to simply freaked-out sounding drums on basically every other track.

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia 8/10

Well, I don't like it as much as Stupid Dream or Deadwing, but this is a Porcupine Tree album we're talking about, so it's pretty much beautiful regardless. "Trains" is easily my favorite from this album...absolutely beautiful song. Other major highlights are "Blackest Eyes," "Gravity Eyelids," and the instrumental "Wedding Nails."

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand 7/10

Well, I dunno, I like the whole album, but some of it is admittedly boring as a result of Franz Ferdinand basically copying their better moments too often. "Take Me Out" is obviously a must, as is "This Fire." But the whole album is definitely passable, and the better songs here make the album worth it.

Metallica - Ride the Lightning 8/10

This is Metallica's second best, as cliche as that sounds. I just happen to be one of the millions of people out there who feel that their pure thrash days were the best, particularly this album and MoP. This album has everything, from their "soft first fucking grueling next" moments like "Fight Fire With Fire" to their simply always grueling moments like "Trapped Under Ice." I can't help but feel as if this remaster is a bit muddled, though? Maybe the album's always been like that.

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers - 9.5/10

Nearly perfect. Just a notch under the pure bliss that is Let it Bleed and Beggar's Banquet. So many classic tracks here..."Brown Sugar," "Wild Horses," "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," "Bitch"...the entire band is still at the peak of their abilities.

Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles - 7/10

It's RATM, so I already knew what this album would sound like. I'm not sure if I like it more than their debut album or not, really. But it's all perfectly likeable for me, even if, of course, it can get tiring due to them copying themselves a lot. Best moment is "Guerilla Radio."

The Charlatans - Tellin' Stories - 7/10

Typical album for The Charlatans, but this is definitely one of their most balanced forays into Britpop. There's a reason these guys are one of the best Britpop bands out there. They mimic The Stone Roses with good effect. Piano-based "One to Another" is by far my favorite.

Mando Diao - Bring 'Em In - 7/10

Some boring moments, but it's all at least good, and some of it is fantastic. "The Band" is still easily my favorite here. This album's remastering seems off though too...or has it always been a little bit lo-fi (save for some tracks)?

Lozal

powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Hiro

Well I've just acquired over 100, I put 10 on my Zune, and I'm listening to the first one right now.
It's pretty good, but not amazing.

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on August 15, 2009, 10:55:06 AM
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
I figured that the Stone Roses would be a good fit for my tastes. Howeer, somewhere in their mix of genres is that particular 80's style that was so common with British bands, and it didn't really suit me well. I liked the album, but it felt kind of bland and overproduced. 3/5

It's a masterpiece. akudood;

You should at least be able to say that "Elephant Stone," "She Bangs the Drums," and "Fools Gold" are amazing.

Samus Aran

Quote from: wziard on August 20, 2009, 11:47:50 PM
I love that song

me too man, still one of my favorite PT songs, though "A Smart Kid" takes the cake there for me

sans culottes

Quote from: Kaz on August 20, 2009, 09:26:23 PM
It's a masterpiece. akudood;

You should at least be able to say that "Elephant Stone," "She Bangs the Drums," and "Fools Gold" are amazing.

Rather good songs, but I just can't get into it.

I decided to give Second Coming a try, and I liked it. It was still a little lacking, like... you have this wicked guitar tone and these tribal rhythms goin' on, but the production and vocals sound like their first album, and it doesn't fit together too well.
I support BUSH

burzumfan420

last time i bought cds i got

Johnny Thunders-Stations of the Cross
Alice Donut-The Untidy Suicides of Your Degenerate Children.
The Raveonettes-Whip it on
Galaxie 500-On Fire
The Cranberries-No Need to Argue
Mudhoney-My Brother The Cow
REM-Automatic for the People
The Resident-God in 3 Persons

They were all pretty good except the cranberries

Lozal

Skylark

I don't know what the last 5 were but I got Pullhair Rubeye by Avey Tare and Kria Brekkan and I love it so far.
the book of right on

burzumfan420

Quote from: Jet Black Wii on August 22, 2009, 11:26:14 PM
The Residents are amazing

I have been meaning to listen to them forever but they have such a big collection of releases that it was hard to find out which one to get. I got the cheapest one lol. Not a purchase i regret.

Lozal

Quote from: burzumfan420 on August 23, 2009, 12:51:40 PM
I have been meaning to listen to them forever but they have such a big collection of releases that it was hard to find out which one to get. I got the cheapest one lol. Not a purchase i regret.
Get the Commercial Album next.

Or Meet The Residents.

Go Up