October 05, 2024, 03:52:55 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Overlooked masterpieces.

Started by sans culottes, August 13, 2009, 05:46:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

August 13, 2009, 05:46:01 PM Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:04:56 AM by reefer
ITT: Amazing albums that are rarely mentioned on lists of amazing albums.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Tom Petty's Wildflowers. It's absolutely fantastic but it's pretty overlooked. Let it Be by the Beatles might have a lot of praise (what by the Beatles doesn't?) but everyone seems to call it the worst of their later albums. I say it's a masterpiece. And then of course, a lot of excellent underground albums. Mother Love Bone's Apple comes to mind. If it had a hit single or two on it, it'd easily show up on most lists.
I support BUSH

snorkel

Among bands people know about, I don't feel Tool's albums garner enough attention for how fucking incredible they are

Among bands people don't know about (but should):

Who Will Survive and What Will be Left of Them by Murder by Death (still one of my favorite albums)
Crusades by The Plastic Constellations (a Minneapolis band that should have made it big and never did)
Premiers Symptômes by AIR (everything else by AIR has been overplayed to death but this little EP from their beginning never gets any attention, and is better than anything else they've released)
Pablo Honey by Radiohead (I know, I know, Radiohead gets as much praise for everything as The Beatles, but this first album of theirs is definitely overlooked as one of britpop's earliest, cleanest, most amazing entries)

Samus Aran

The Stone Roses' Second Coming. Their first album received a lot of praise and is still rather popular, and since their second album didn't live up to the monstrous public expectations and it generally sounded quite different, the public shunned it. It's a crime, really, because it's a fucking great album. I think that it's still flawed, and I probably do like their debut slightly more, but Second Coming still deserves better than the bashing it gets.

sans culottes

Kaz, I thought you'd mention ELO. I was about to add that to my post, but then I decided to go eat a pizza instead. A New World Record is pretty underrated. It's definitely not a BEST ALBUM EVER OMG, but it's fucking brilliant.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on August 13, 2009, 06:11:47 PM
Kaz, I thought you'd mention ELO. I was about to add that to my post, but then I decided to go eat a pizza instead. A New World Record is pretty underrated. It's definitely not a BEST ALBUM EVER OMG, but it's fucking brilliant.

Eh, well that's one of my albums I could have put in this thread, because there's honestly lots of "overlooked masterpieces" out there. I just felt like mentioning The Stone Roses because...idk because I can.

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

burzumfan420

Velvet Underground's White Light/White Heat

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

"Thank God for mental illness" by the brian jonestown massacre.

Quiet, retro and a little gritty, it's simplicity makes it what is is.

"Destroy all astromen" by Man or Astroman.
Surf music entwined with Sci-fi B-movie voice clips. Rock solid from start to finish.

Moby Grape's self titled album. One of the very best things to come out of the sixties. Same can be said for the electric prunes.

Syd Barret's "the madcap laughs" is also very overlooked.  

Samus Aran

I feel I might as well mention Nick Drake, as a whole. Basically his whole career is criminally overlooked.

Hiro

Midlake's The Trials of Van Occupanther. It's just a really awesome album, I don't see how it never caught on with anyone. Lots of the songs on it are just true classics.

burzumfan420

Quote from: Corporal Clegg on August 13, 2009, 07:40:39 PM
"Thank God for mental illness" by the brian jonestown massacre.
Syd Barret's "the madcap laughs" is also very overlooked.  

More like everything released by those two artists

Zach

"Music from the Adventures of Pete and Pete" by Polaris, which was really Miracle Legion minus one of their guitarists. Outstanding music; it's problem my favorite album ever, but no one knows about it.

Selkie

I know Jeff Buckley's Grace is by no means not popular, but I really think that it should be up there among the greatest albums of our time.

jerk1

edIT's Crying over pros for no reason         is easilly the best album i've ever heard...it sets me in the best mood ever and nothing is like it.

Geno

Quote from: wziard on August 13, 2009, 05:55:08 PM
Among bands people know about, I don't feel Tool's albums garner enough attention for how fucking incredible they are
holy shit am I agreeing with snorkel
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Go Up