July 15, 2024, 11:56:27 AM

1,531,280 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

simple poll

Started by snorkel, August 09, 2009, 09:40:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

what's your genre of choice?

Oldies / old Jazz
0 (0%)
Classic rock/blues/folk
5 (25%)
Punk
1 (5%)
Alternative rock (encompassing most rock from 90s til now)
3 (15%)
Electronic
4 (20%)
Classical
0 (0%)
New Jazz (last 30 years)
0 (0%)
Hip-hop / R&B / Rap
2 (10%)
Metal / Progressive rock
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Go Down

snorkel

August 09, 2009, 09:40:35 PM Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 07:10:05 PM by reefer
Seems like we would have had this (maybe we did a long time ago).

Anyway, simple question: what's your favorite genre, or the one you otherwise listen to the most?

Mine would have to be "electronic" generally... from dubstep and breakbeat stuff to electronica/dance to ambience to IDM to acid jazz, downtempo, chillout and lounge beats, they're my favorite.

Close runner-up would be "alternative rock," since bands like Radiohead, Engineers, and Weezer also get a good amount of listening.

Also, yes, I know the choices are very condensed and really "alternative rock" is 100 different genres, as is "classic rock," "hip-hop," "metal," etc. If I missed a big one I'll add it but don't bicker about what genres mean

Hiro

Alternative rock, with electronic being my 2nd choice.
Classic rock/folk is also very good.

Travis

I don't have a favorite genre. I like songs from pretty much every genre there is.

Andria

I voted metal/progressive rock though I like classic and alt rock.

Selkie

It's really hard to tell. I don't exactly have favorite genres. I barely even have favorite bands.

I really can only distinguish my favorites as far as albums and individual songs go. Anything less specific than that is way too difficult to decide on.

But regardless, I picked electronic, because a lot of my most listened-to songs seem to be that.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I picked alternative, though I do enjoy electronic and punk quite a bit.

The artist formally known

Almost anything progressive

Samus Aran

Not entirely sure why prog is with metal, but okay.

I guess most of my favorites fall into what people would call "classic rock," one way or another. Close runner ups would be progressive rock, both old and new, and of course alternative rock.

snorkel

Quote from: Kaz on August 10, 2009, 07:06:27 PM
Not entirely sure why prog is with metal, but okay.

I guess most of my favorites fall into what people would call "classic rock," one way or another. Close runner ups would be progressive rock, both old and new, and of course alternative rock.

Because most progressive rock bands I can think of are either halfway to "metal" already or could morph into it pretty easily. The main tenets of both genres are the same.

Smell Memory

my favorite are idm and glitch genres and electronica

i love it when they're combined with folk  giggle;
Felt: because politics are for fools y/n
Felt: goldfrapp controls everything.

Samus Aran

Quote from: wziard on August 10, 2009, 08:10:45 PM
Because most progressive rock bands I can think of are either halfway to "metal" already or could morph into it pretty easily. The main tenets of both genres are the same.

I can't easily see Yes or Gentle Giant doing metal, but I'll take your word for it.

Skylark

the book of right on

The artist formally known

Quote from: Kaz on August 11, 2009, 10:38:22 AM
I can't easily see Yes or Gentle Giant doing metal, but I'll take your word for it.
I can see Rush doing metal.  giggle;

Lozal

powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

sans culottes

Prog grouped with metal? Huh. I think of progressive rock as it was defined in its early days - y'know, an artistic form of rock with classical elements. All these new progressive metal bands sound completely different.

I hate the term "classic rock" because it groups excellent music from as far back as the mid 60s, IE Bob Dylan, with absolute shit from the 80s, like Def Leppard. But I guess I could say classic rock is my favorite genre. I listen to rock, blues, and folk-rock from the 60s and 70s more than anything else, though I also listen to a ton of punk and alternative.

Also, I can't decide: would 90's bands that sound like 60's bands count as classic rock or alternative?  doodhuh;
I support BUSH

Go Up