July 15, 2024, 12:18:11 PM

1,531,280 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Your musical influences.

Started by sans culottes, August 04, 2009, 10:20:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

Alright, a thread for musicians and/or aspiring musicians. When you make music, who really influences you?

Right now, I am not capable of putting a band together. Well, I could easily make a shitty teenage cover band, but I think bigger than what's in my reach. So, every night I find myself strumming my guitar, looking at chords for songs that I like, and playing along. And then, I'll attempt to write a song, but I always screw up. I can write a good vocal part and write a good guitar part, but never the two together.

So, while I'm a lone musician, I look up to guys like Tom Petty and Cat Stevens. Both of these musicians wrote pretty simple songs (a lot of Petty's songs are basically D, A, and E chords) but they sound really good. My attempts at songwriting are much alike Petty's Wildflowers album.

I should mention, though, I have so far only written one complete song. However, that song is nothing more than a novelty ditty that makes fun of modern "country" pop stars. If only I could write something that isn't a joke.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Alternative and grunge bands, most notably The Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana. I dunno why, I just love playing that kind of music pretty much above all else. Any original stuff I've come up with recently has been in that vein of guitar playing, if not also the lyrical content.

snorkel

Any electronic music I make falls in line with typical IDM stuff, which is just a result of my admiring the genre for years and having it in my head.

A good question, though, is why I have jazz scales ingrained in my mind without even being able to tell you what they are. Whenever I mess around on sax I can do awesome jazz solos without stepping out of key once, and I've never had formal education with it... possibly years of hearing Allman Bros. in my dad's car, or some random subconscious shit goin on

sans culottes

Quote from: Kaz on August 04, 2009, 10:25:22 PM
Alternative and grunge bands, most notably The Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana. I dunno why, I just love playing that kind of music pretty much above all else. Any original stuff I've come up with recently has been in that vein of guitar playing, if not also the lyrical content.

This is kind of stuff is definitely an influence to me in what I'd like to do down the road. I think I've established myself as a grunger. If I was to make a band, I'd probably draw a lot of influences from grunge. My ideal band would blend punk, grunge, and a ton of psychedelic. It'd be like Donoavan getting raped by Mudhoney.
baddood;
Quote from: wziard on August 04, 2009, 10:26:15 PM
A good question, though, is why I have jazz scales ingrained in my mind without even being able to tell you what they are. Whenever I mess around on sax I can do awesome jazz solos without stepping out of key once, and I've never had formal education with it... possibly years of hearing Allman Bros. in my dad's car, or some random subconscious shit goin on

I lack real musical knowledge. I used to learn music theory when I took piano lessons, but that was years ago. I've forgotten how to read sheet music, I don't really know scales, etc... I'm too busy strumming chords and pretending I can sing. I seriously need to start learning music theory.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on August 04, 2009, 10:37:20 PM
It'd be like Donoavan getting raped by Mudhoney.

That's such an awesome way to describe it. baddood;

sans culottes

Quote from: Kaz on August 04, 2009, 10:41:38 PM
That's such an awesome way to describe it. baddood;
It is, which is why I said it that way. Probably a bit inaccurate, though, because my psychedelic side will shit all over everything else. "Brian Jones getting raped by the Velvet Underground" might be more fitting.

By the way, this whole thing about raping is me ripping off of Kurt Cobain. He described Nevermind as "Bay City Rollers getting raped by Black Flag" and I found it quite an awesome way to describe an album.
I support BUSH

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

All we seem to be able to do is play violent femme covers and prolonged jams fairly well. Ho hum.

Bought a synth recently though, and that's making us think in different directions.

Title

I only play Piano, and have no interest in playing with anyone else, and do it mostly to stimulate my mind. When i'm writing, which is rare, my main influences are The Smiths, probably one of the greatest bands of all time, and Goldfrapp. The latter is mostly when I'm high.

Veal

Mostly just look up to Taylor Swift a lot, but sometimes we go in a slightly different direction with something more along the lines of Insane Clown Posse or Johannes Brahms.

Zach

In terms of just good composition, I've always looked up to guys like Britt Daniel of Spoon and Stephen Malkmus from Pavement. They're always able to string together chords and notes with their guitars in a way that has always kept me interested as a listener.

Hiro

That's almost exactly how i am Veal, although i also draw a bit from Raffi and Aphex Twin

Samus Aran

Quote from: Geno on August 12, 2009, 12:31:23 AM
faggot

If you had read all of his post you would've seen he was kidding.

Roach

Johnny Motherfuckin' Ramone, The Pistols, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, The Virus, The Unseen, all of the Crack Rock Steady Seven, and their various side projects. All in all, there's too many to name. Anyone who has the balls to fight for what they believe in through music is who inspires me. :3
There will always be a Moon over Marin.

Go Up