August 21, 2024, 02:33:57 AM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

skylark has a special gift for you

Started by Hiro, July 30, 2009, 11:19:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

She made two songs :3
http://www.myspace.com/loriquilt

I've never heard her singing voice before, it's very nice.

Oh and she even invited me to join her band. :)

ITT discuss cool skylark music

The Speaker Of Words

That was great. She needs to make more.

the shortest route to the sea

Some production problems, but if she gets that under control she could sell this. The cycling of her voice and guitar in July is really hypnotic, and even the desync of the lines sounds wild until you realize it's not intentional...or is it? Really really really cool Skylark!

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Samus Aran

I think her voice needs some work, because sometimes it really loses its edge and you sit there thinking "well, it just sounds like a teenage girl. Big deal." But other times, this stuff is kinda hypnotic.

I mean, really, there's a lot of problems going on, and I'm not really a big fan of such major descyncing, intentional or not, but it's more than a good start for the kind of music Skylark is apparently trying to make.

Feynman

snorkel

not really any substance to it (and not in a good way), plus her voice hits some very off notes

rdl

i'll be honest, i didnt like it very much. i want to get all technical but i also dont want to be a pretentious douchebag so i'll just leave it at that.

i'd like to see what kind of awesome music you might make while high

Houdini

I'm going to be honest - I'm not impressed. I think she has the potential to do way better. Here's why:

1. The lyrics sound formulaic. They seem to veer between two tones - one is arty and obtuse, the other is earnest and narrative. In short, they sound like they were written by a teenager who is not really sure of her place in life. That being said, they're really not bad at all; I just feel like they could use some serious work.

2. The production is weak. It seems like she's using unusual production and recording methods to mask a lack of effort on her part in regard to songwriting. Which brings me to my next point:

3. The songs sound underdeveloped. The seeds of some good songs are there, but they haven't grown beyond that stage. They don't seem to go anywhere or convey any kind of message or feeling.

4. The vocals need more feeling. It's clear that she's singing quietly; she sounds unenthusiastic. The pitch is definitely off on a few parts. It doesn't sound like she really believes in her lyrics.

This should be taken as constructive criticism. I'm not trying to tell skylark she sucks, because she doesn't. I know she can do much better. For someone who is just beginning to experiment with songwriting and recording, this is pretty decent. Just for good measure, here are some things I liked:

-I know I just criticized the lyrics, but as I said, they're not bad. They don't sound awkward at all; they fit the song well. With some work, she could come up with great lyrics.

-There are some interesting touches to the production. Some of the ideas she used could, if developed and expanded upon, could do a lot to create a certain atmosphere.

-The songs do sound fairly nice. The chord progressions flow nicely and the melodies are pretty good. They're certainly pleasant to listen to. With some work these songs could be really strong.

-She has a good voice. If she worked on singing more powerfully and with better pitch, she could be a pretty good singer.

There. I forgot what my point was. I think I need to go to bed.

Go Up