July 15, 2024, 12:08:34 PM

1,531,280 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Yesterday, I bought a bunch of radiohead albums

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, July 31, 2009, 12:27:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

July 31, 2009, 12:27:30 PM Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:06:01 AM by reefer
I bought Pablo Honey, The Bends, Kid A, and Amnesiac. I've got the other ones except I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings.

Pablo Honey isn't a bad album, as I've heard it described as, it's just a first album. Anyone Can Play Guitar and How Do You? are probably my favorites.

The Bends is Ok, Got a bunch of great songs. They just don't seem to mesh well with me for some reason.

O.K. Computer is a wonderful album, Let Down and No Surprises are masterpieces.

Kid A is a fantastic album. My third favorite album by them (behind Hail to the Thief and O.K. Computer)

Amnesiac just feels like tracks that they couldn't get to fit with the tracks on Kid A. Not bad, but they could've spent some more time on it. Maybe waited a year and released Kid A/Amnesiac as a double album? I don't know, but alot of the tracks don't seem finished.

Hail To The Thief is my favorite album, as it combines all their experiences from their past albums onto this one. I can sing along with every song, and feel like I myself have written them. From 2+2=5 to A Wolf At The Door, it's a album I can't really find fault with. Not saying it's the best album in the world, but definitely the best radiohead album in my opinion.

In Rainbows is disappointing. Especially now that I've listened to their other albums. Nothing too catchy. Nothing too interesting.

The artist formally known

strongbad

OK Computer is probably my favorite. Paranoid Android, Karma Police, and No Surprises are my favorite songs in the album, and probably my favorite Radiohead songs altogether.

Samus Aran

I was also disappointed by In Rainbows, although it's still a great album. It's just that it often kinda lulls instead of ever gripping you by the throat the way OK Computer does. Not to mention the other album-esque moments (like the opening track and its Kid A-ness) were done better in those other albums.

Kid A is my favorite Radiohead album, OK  Computer being my second favorite.

Meyer Lansky

Quote from: NautSyd on July 31, 2009, 12:27:30 PM
Hail To The Thief
That album doesn't get anywhere near the type of recognition it deserves.

snorkel

Since In Rainbows came out it has been my favorite (Jigsaw Falling Into Place), but Pablo Honey and Amnesiac have always been high in my favorite albums... Pablo Honey is just so raw and, well, plain that it satisfies my taste for alternative rock quite well (not to mention Blowout is one of the fucking greatest songs ever).

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: NautSyd on July 31, 2009, 12:27:30 PM
I bought Pablo Honey, The Bends, Kid A, and Amnesiac. I've got the other ones except I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings.

Got comlag or Airbag or In Rainbows disc 2? Or the Eraser? Or any of the other shit that my roomate had, oh god.

QuotePablo Honey isn't a bad album, as I've heard it described as, it's just a first album. Anyone Can Play Guitar and How Do You? are probably my favorites.

It's such a different style than the later records that it's hard for many to like it. But it's a good Alt Rock album.

QuoteThe Bends is Ok, Got a bunch of great songs. They just don't seem to mesh well with me for some reason.

It was Radiohead's bridging point from alt rock into art rock.

QuoteO.K. Computer is a wonderful album, Let Down and No Surprises are masterpieces.

Kid A is a fantastic album. My third favorite album by them (behind Hail to the Thief and O.K. Computer)

Amnesiac just feels like tracks that they couldn't get to fit with the tracks on Kid A. Not bad, but they could've spent some more time on it. Maybe waited a year and released Kid A/Amnesiac as a double album? I don't know, but alot of the tracks don't seem finished.

yes

yes

yes

QuoteHail To The Thief is my favorite album, as it combines all their experiences from their past albums onto this one. I can sing along with every song, and feel like I myself have written them. From 2+2=5 to A Wolf At The Door, it's a album I can't really find fault with. Not saying it's the best album in the world, but definitely the best radiohead album in my opinion.

It lags a lot for me in the middle. Like...the songs aren't memorable or constant. 2+2=5, Wolf, Myxamasomething are so solid. I used to like it more, it's...it has a lot of good energy.

QuoteIn Rainbows is disappointing. Especially now that I've listened to their other albums.

Really?

QuoteNothing too interesting.

Yeah, I can understand that, I guess. I'm a big fan of all their sonic textures and things. It's like Kid A on crack in many respects, taken to the end of the artistic spectrum after The Bends, and-

QuoteNothing too catchy.

doodhuh;

For me:

In Rainbows
Kid A
The Bends
Hail to the Thief
OK Computer
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Selkie

In Rainbows is my favorite album by them. It just takes a while to get the melodies stuck in your head

spaceman

In my opinion:

1) OK Computer
2) In Rainbows
3) Kid A
4) Amnesiac
5) The Bends
6) Hail to the Thief
7) Pablo Honey

OK Computer is a masterpiece, no denying that.

In Rainbows took a while to get to like. Didn't like it the first few listens then I realized how great it really is.

Kid A is beautiful, also has one of my favorite songs...ever, Idioteque.

Amnesiac is just a solid album. Not too many standouts, but it balances it out to be considered good.

The Bends....eh

Hail to the Thief.....ehhhhhhhhh

Pablo Honey...  wry

Houdini

The thing about Radiohead is you have to listen to their albums bazillions of times to really appreciate them. Some of their albums take longer than others.

At first, I thought Amnesiac was pleasant and easy to listen to but overall rather lackluster. It sounded like a few really great songs mixed in with a bunch of tossed-off experiments. Over the years, however, I've really grown to like it. The trick is figuring out how to listen to it. It doesn't follow the kind of progression a normal album does. Eventually I began to realize that it's really a vivid picture of a different world, a sort of dreamlike reality close to ours but different in several really big ways. It's hard to explain. It's best to listen to it after midnight. 3'oclock a.m. works best for me.

Hail to the Thief is a complex beast. For a while it really grated on my nerves. It seemed like the songs were mediocre and packed too full of synthesizers and such. Like Amnesiac, though, it slowly revealed its true nature to me. I personally think it's a depiction of everyday life in the city filtered through a really manic, desperate, detached state of mind. Close listening is key for this one.

There's not much I can say about In Rainbows except that you just have to keep listening to it. When I first hear it, absolutely nothing jumped out at me at all. Nearly two years later is hands down my favorite Radiohead album. Just listen to it. It will take a while, but at some point it will finally make sense.

burzumfan420

Quote from: reefer on July 31, 2009, 01:07:23 PM
In Rainbows is beautiful, it's my favorite

I agree. 
I never could get in OK computer that well, but it has some great songs.

the shortest route to the sea

Houdini have I ever told you that I love you so much

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Chōshū

Radiohead is my favorite band

For me

1) The Bends
2) In Rainbows
3) Ok Computer
4) Pablo Honey
5) Kid A
6) Amnesiac
7) Hail to the Thief

Most people are surprised when they hear that The Bends is my favorite album...Mostly considering many people just look at it as a stepping stone to Ok Computer.  But just about every song on that album grew on me.  High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung, Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was, Black Star, lol actually every song on the album.  I just love it to death, although it's a the last step before Radiohead moved into that more electronic sound.  The midway point between Pablo Honey and the sound that Radiohead is generally known for.

Also, just because Hail to the Thief is my last on the list doesn't mean I don't like it.  I love ALL of Radiohead's albums, that's why I would say they're my favorite band.  It's just...one of them has to be last.  I even downloaded the 24 disc version of Towering Above the Rest, which I listen to frequently when I want to hear a bit of a different sound from the studio album versions of their songs  doodhuh;

There's a lot of catchy stuff there.

If I had to name my ten favorite Radiohead songs I'd probably saaay

- High and Dry (the bends)
- Subterranean Homesick Alien ( Ok Computer)
- House of Cards (In Rainbows)
- Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)
- My Iron Lung (the bends)
- Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was (the bends)
- Fake Plastic Trees (the bends)
- Exit Music (For a Film)
- The National Anthem (Kid A)
- Creep (Pablo Honey)

Creep was the first Radiohead song I ever heard so it holds a place in my heart  :(

Hiro

The first Radiohead song I heard was Paranoid Android

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hïro on August 08, 2009, 03:22:58 AM
The first Radiohead song I heard was Paranoid Android

Same here, actually. Still one of my favorites.

Go Up