July 04, 2024, 11:59:04 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Boyah Trading Card Game

Started by Daddy, July 28, 2009, 08:19:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 30, 2009, 12:43:38 PM
Who says it won't? How many cards did the Pokémon base pack have?  Also the database structure I'm planning on would easily allow for an expansion pack similar to Pokémon (Just one extra column in the table).
I just think it would be kind of difficult to come up with 700 different cards, especially all Boyah-related is all. I'm sure we'll have a good amount of them.

QuoteYeah, 10 was just an example. I'll probably do 5 or 6. Maybe 7.
Yeah, that sounds better.

QuoteThis is a bit confusing.
I guess what I mean by that is those numbers would be maybe the chances of getting one, or something along those lines.

QuoteDoesn't this contradict your previous statement?
Does it?

What I mean is that I would prefer: "the cards in them be completely random (i.e. use the rarity functions alone to determine what is in each pack so a pack may have all commons, a few commons a few rares and one common, all rares)"
as opposed to:
"have a predefined content (9 commons and then apply aa function to pick a rare/very rare/etc)"

Daddy

Quote from: Hïro on July 30, 2009, 12:56:56 PM
I just think it would be kind of difficult to come up with 700 different cards, especially all Boyah-related is all. I'm sure we'll have a good amount of them.
I thought there were like 200 in the main packs.

QuoteI guess what I mean by that is those numbers would be maybe the chances of getting one, or something along those lines.
Oh okay.
QuoteDoes it?

What I mean is that I would prefer: "the cards in them be completely random (i.e. use the rarity functions alone to determine what is in each pack so a pack may have all commons, a few commons a few rares and one common, all rares)"
as opposed to:
"have a predefined content (9 commons and then apply aa function to pick a rare/very rare/etc)"
[/quote]Yeah at first I thought you were defining the ratio of cards in a pack while then saying they should be random.

Hiro

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 30, 2009, 01:00:30 PM
I thought there were like 200 in the main packs.
Yeah see, there's a shitload of pokemon cards

So yeah, do my suggestions sound about right?

Daddy

Quote from: Hïro on July 30, 2009, 01:04:22 PM
Yeah see, there's a shitload of pokemon cards
I just checked. The Base Set had 102 cards.

QuoteSo yeah, do my suggestions sound about right?
uh yeah i still need to see what others want though

Thyme

They still make those? Seems like a really stupid idea, you can print out cards and stick them on pieces of cardboard, there's many cheaper ways to do it.

maps;

Daddy

Quote from: Thyme on July 30, 2009, 01:15:13 PM
They still make those? Seems like a really stupid idea, you can print out cards and stick them on pieces of cardboard, there's many cheaper ways to do it.

maps;
are you talking about pokemon cards or tcgs in general?

if you're talking about the latter well this will all be online so lol

Thyme

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 30, 2009, 01:23:48 PM
are you talking about pokemon cards or tcgs in general?

if you're talking about the latter well this will all be online so lol

i'm not talking about anything in particular i'm just joking about that one thread on the Tech board

Daddy

Quote from: Thyme on July 30, 2009, 01:25:38 PM
i'm not talking about anything in particular i'm just joking about that one thread on the Tech board
ohlol

the shortest route to the sea

What are the usage stats for the Aracde? I don't go on there because I don't play games, but I feel like it's still drawing folks.

Trading would be interesting and fun as a little side-project. I'm not so hot on the battling. Just make sure there's a good organizing engine for the cards, so people can get anal and ocd about it if they REALLY REALLY want to.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Samus Aran

Daddy

Quote from: Alyssa the Shining Soul on July 30, 2009, 01:28:20 PM
What are the usage stats for the Aracde? I don't go on there because I don't play games, but I feel like it's still drawing folks.
It looks like people do still use it, though arcade passes are expensive.

That's because people don't fucking post so I make them post. baddood;

QuoteTrading would be interesting and fun as a little side-project. I'm not so hot on the battling. Just make sure there's a good organizing engine for the cards, so people can get anal and ocd about it if they REALLY REALLY want to.
Any ideas of what to organize by?

I still need to pick an actual database engine. MySQL is an obvious choice but something like SQLite or such could also work.

I then need to figure out if I'm going to do the web client in PHP or Python, or maybe even Ruby.
The desktop client, if I make one, will probably be Ruby at least on OS X.

some of the functions seem straightforward. The way I am planing it basically allows rapid expansion and ease to add new features.

For example. I could just set up card IDs with a name and image and then later on add other features, then again go and add a battle system.

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 30, 2009, 01:40:39 PM
It looks like people do still use it, though arcade passes are expensive.

That's because people don't fucking post so I make them post. baddood;

I don't know about other users, but I don't pay a lot of attention to my lutz. I put them in the bank so I can get a name change if/when I need it or something. But I don't post to get lutz.

QuoteAny ideas of what to organize by?

If it were me, I would have...fuck, hard to explain. I'm heading into gimp for this.

Things on the left are major categories, with whatever we determine the "categories" to be (I made some up). On the top would be the subcategories. So for COLOR, there would be various colors. If we have SOCIAL TYPE or something, then the various social stereotypes would appear. Top right is the percentage for whatever subcategory you have. When selecting ALL, a percentage of total cards that you have. So if I wanted to look for specific white cards, or fag cards, I could put this all together. I would add a last "MORE" category to them all, which allows you to input any subcategory or characteristic, and have all existing and all owned cards displayed, just like in any other subcategory menu.  Bottom left is a card picture with stats. Bottom is scroll bar. Bottom right is left-to-right organizing values, for whatever purpose. Card issue numbers would be default. Middle is the cards themselves, the grayed boxes being those one would have. Instead of grey, some icon or something that signifies the card would be desireable.

And that's all I have to say on the matter.

Daddy

Yeah I could most likely figure that out.

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 31, 2009, 08:19:46 AM
Yeah I could most likely figure that out.

Let me know if you need any more fabulous web 2.0 style graphic designing!

Go Up